Loose Spokes

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2018 6:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 6:09 AM

Hi, I'm riding a primo remix complete wheel for a year now. It is still pretty true but today I noticed that basically all of the spokes are pretty loose and some of them are even bent. It's still pretty true though and so I didn't realize it in the first place. I have no experience with truing wheels. What should I do?

|

1/14/2018 6:16 AM

It depends on how mechanical you are. You can watch a video on YouTube & try to true your wheels yourself or you can bring in your bike & have a shop do it. In wouldn't continue riding (at least riding street, park, trails, or DJ) on that wheel. Honestly, if I were you, I'd just take both your wheels in, have them true them. Then, if you can find yourself an old junk wheel, get some proper tools & learn to do it yourself.

|

1/14/2018 7:54 AM

If your wheel is already fairly true then start with one side of the spokes and rotate each nipple a half or whole turn at a time depending on how much slack you need out. Just snug them don't crank down on em or you'll strip the soft metal and have a hard time adjusting again. Flip the wheel and repeat the same process as the previous side so that it doesn't get pulled out of true because you tightened up each spoke evenly on both sides. If you have a spot thats pulled one way or the other you can tighten the opposite side to pull it into true. If you strip a nipple then go down one size on the wrench and force it on or just say fuck it if it's decent enough. If you have brakes you can use them as a ghetto truing stand assuming your frame isn't bent and the brake pads are an equal distance from the rim. Don't trust it too much if your brake arms are really uneven tho. It takes practice but I hope this helps a little. If your rim has mad wobbles it can be tedious at first but you'll get it, you can always loosen if the nipple bottoms out, it's a better alternative to stripping em

|

@coupd_tat

1/14/2018 8:36 AM

coupde_tat wrote:

If your wheel is already fairly true then start with one side of the spokes and rotate each nipple a half or whole turn at a ...more

Honestly, if you don't know what you are doing, at least watch a video before trying to true your wheels yourself. If you do it wrong, you can not only pull your wheel out of true , but you can mess up the dish and/or make your wheel "egg shaped" & it'll sorta ride like a clown car.

|

1/14/2018 9:14 AM

If you want to do it yourself, it's actually a pretty easy thing to learn as long as you're not the type to freak out and way overdo things when it doesn't go your way immediately.

For tensioning, go around the whole wheel tightening each nipple by a quarter turn at a time. After doing that a few times, you'll notice some are tighter than others so you want to skip them until all of the others are at the same tension. The closer the tension of all the spokes, the less truing you'll have to do.

For truing, it's entirely about balancing the tension both top-to-bottom and side-to side. If a spoke is tighter than the 2 across from it, it's going to pull the rim over towards it. If the rim is out of true side to side, just figure out which spoke(s) is too loose and tighten it in 1/8 turns until the hop is gone. The part of truing that I think is most misunderstood but most intuitive, is the top-to-bottom truing. If there's a high point in this axis, tighten the spokes under it by half turns until the high spot is gone. If there's a low spot, loosen the spokes. If you true the wheel in one axis, you'll usually knock it out of true a little in the other axis so alternate between the two.

Dishing should be done after the initial tension and true. This is the process of centering the rim between the chainstays. If the rim is too far to one side, you'll want to loosen the all of the spokes on that side a quarter turn(or less) at a time and tighten the spokes on the other side by the same amount until it's centered. Once it's correctly dished, you should true it again.

If you decide to go ahead with it yourself and have any questions, let me know! Wheelbuilding and maintenance is one of my favourite pastimes and I've been doing it a long time so I've picked up a lot of little things that I wish I'd known when I started. Wheels can be your worst enemy and most hated part to work on if you're impatient or don't have a good understanding of what you're doing, or it can be something you don't mind doing or even enjoy doing.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/14/2018 9:36 AM

If your wheel is loose but still trued, just tight all the spokes the same amount like a quarter turn to each spoke to start, then do it a second time if necessary.

For actual truing technique, p1p1092 explained it great.

If you have an old spare wheel, use it to practice building and truing wheels and avoid doing shit on your cool stuffs.

|