Loose spokes

Related:
Create New Tag

10/5/2012 9:20 AM

my spokes on my back wheel keep on coming loose every 3/4 sessions and with loose i mean i can move my rim side to side touching the frame
anybody can tell me why does this happen and if there is any solution?

i think it might be i re used spokes to build up this wheel

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

10/5/2012 9:22 AM

Spokes are too short or too long. Not sure which one, but its one of those.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

10/5/2012 9:32 AM

FreddyDapice wrote:

Spokes are too short or too long. Not sure which one, but its one of those.

too long most likely. the threads are probably stripped because you may have tightened a nipple to the point where there's no more thread on the spoke.

if they're too short, there's not enough thread for the nipple to grab and spokes can be pulled right out.

i've had both happen with my first lacings...

|

All my edits are iPhone edits...

last member of the week ever

G-SPORT - S&M - FIT - ODYSSEY

10/5/2012 3:41 PM

My front and back wheel are built with stock reused spokes for over a year, no probs.

As to the other think to short or long, I have no idea

|

10/5/2012 9:02 PM

I'm gonna guess your nipples or spokes(most likely nips) are stripped. Maybe not all but a good amount of them.

|

10/6/2012 10:27 AM

Cause something's fucked up.

As mentioned above, something's off, I'd buy new spokes and nips and relace. If something's wrong I wouldn't want to BS it and have problems again. Also, if it's loosening up that much, it can't possibly be tightening as down as tight as it should be when you retighten them.

|

10/6/2012 12:36 PM

i used the spokes on a mix and now i have a raptor i'm sure it's cause spokes are too short plus my rim is ovalized so i'll change everything when i'm switching rim

|

10/13/2012 1:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2012 1:34 AM

andyferly wrote:

i used the spokes on a mix and now i have a raptor i'm sure it's cause spokes are too short plus my rim is ovalized so i'll change everything when i'm switching rim

Why did you need to make a thread then? The answer was obvious. And I would get that fixed asap because that's something you don't want to be riding around all half assed and loose and you may cause further damage. (to you or the bike parts)

|

10/13/2012 12:36 PM

chill man i didn't really think about it when i laced it up, just thought about it when people actually said it was the cause
and i never ride with loose spokes i always tighten everything up

|

10/13/2012 7:45 PM

andyferly wrote:

chill man i didn't really think about it when i laced it up, just thought about it when people actually said it was the cause
and i never ride with loose spokes i always tighten everything up

Just saying. Usually problems on bikes aren't hard to figure out if you don't over think it. Unless it's a newbie I guess.

|