Loose spokes problem

Related:
Create New Tag

8/14/2018 12:22 PM

I got a complete from fit in June and the rear wheel spokes where kinda loose and they told me to tighten them and they’ll be fine. So after riding it I notice a cracking sound on my rear wheel while riding so I check the spokes and there all loose so I tighten them with a spoke wrench and boom after a ride there all loose again with the same cracking noise. Is there something wrong with the wheel
Or I’m not tightening them right?

|

8/14/2018 12:23 PM

tighten a little more. landing sideways will do that

|

It’s all bmx

8/14/2018 12:35 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

tighten a little more. landing sideways will do that

How can I tell if there tightened enough?

|

8/14/2018 12:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2018 12:39 PM

From the Valve hole go around and do a half turn on each spoke, Check how tight they are, make sure they flex just a little, if they're still too loose go around and give each spoke a quarter turn. Tighten it evenly and it should stay tight and true, even after a couple sloppy 180s.

They should be very stiff, and when you Squeeze the parallels(not the Xs) you should have a little tiny bit of flex but No creaking or sound should come off them at all.

|

8/14/2018 12:39 PM

Are you loosening them and not tightening them???

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/14/2018 12:46 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I’m tightening them I’m just saying after I go ride they loosen up again

|

8/14/2018 12:49 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

tahir wrote:

Have you checked for cracks in your rims? If there's no cracks, your wheels just need to bed in, which would mean you'll have to keep tightening them until they stop loosening.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/14/2018 1:20 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

tahir wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Have you checked for cracks in your rims? If there's no cracks, your wheels just need to bed in, which would mean you'll have ...more

Yes, some wheels take longer than others to hold true. I have my wheels pretty solid, i can bail/crash/land sloppy all day and not have to re-tighten them anymore. Im sure I will have to again in the future but some wheels Ive had needed to be re-trued after each ride.

|

8/14/2018 1:55 PM

The spokes will stretch when new, as they're not prestretched during building. That's why they come loose after a ride. Don't go ham on them though. Bmxers get a bit over keen tightening spokes. If they're too tight you'll put too much strain on the rim, nipples, and flanges. If you're unsure, take it to a bike shop

|

8/14/2018 3:35 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

The spokes will stretch when new, as they're not prestretched during building. That's why they come loose after a ride. Don't ...more

Alright I thought it was a problem with the wheel in general but thanks though

|