Losing confidence

Related:
Create New Tag

6/26/2017 9:20 PM

In the past week I have fallen multiple times and have bad cuts on my knees face and arms. I am startiting to loose confidence when riding my bmx now, and I am sort of scared to ride. If anyone could give me any tips to get me back on track it would be greatly appreciated.

|

6/26/2017 9:23 PM

Out of curiosity, what is it that you're trying to do that makes you get hurt? You might want to start off with easier stuff and slowly progress

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

6/26/2017 9:32 PM

I was starting to get hesitant with tricks that involved me taking off my feet because I was constantly shining myself, I have many scars on my legs from pedals, so I decided to pull the trigger on some pads and now I can confidently pull my feet 10x further away from the pedals, so you could possibly buy some pads for your arms and legs and also possibly a full face

|

6/26/2017 9:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/26/2017 9:41 PM

Yeah, as Dan said, what is it that you're trying? Where are you trying it?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/26/2017 9:45 PM

I couldnt get my feet off on some manuals, had a fall trying to do a gap at my skatepark, and I fell a few times when trying to learn how to air.

|

6/27/2017 12:31 AM

Falling is just part of it I'm afraid. But, the more you ride, the more bike control you'll have, which will give you more confidence.
I'm past hurting myself trying to learn tricks. But I've been riding long enough to know what my limits are. I can comfortably push them from time to time and often surprise myself

|

6/27/2017 7:50 AM

u will learn to bail better over time. i used to really fuck myself up and get tons of shinners, now i never wreck yet i go way bigger. in due time donkey, in due time. keep at it, bmx is a very slow progression lol.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

6/27/2017 7:56 AM

The more you fall the better you will get at falling, and bailing. It kind of comes with the territory though.

|

6/27/2017 8:04 AM

If you're falling on manuals, you should really just practice looping out and landing on your feet. It'll be instinct pretty quick.

|

6/27/2017 10:28 AM

Roose87 wrote:

If you're falling on manuals, you should really just practice looping out and landing on your feet. It'll be instinct pretty quick.

This.

Whenever I loop out on manuals (a LOT) I've learned to catch myself with my feet. It may seem scary at first, but practice picking up wayyy to much with the bars so that you loop out on purpose. You'll get more comfortable bailing and whatnot

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

6/27/2017 11:58 AM

Pads.

Get some gloves, kneepads and a helmet. That will GREATLY increase confidence. Seriously. When falls hurt less, it becomes easier to huck it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/27/2017 4:33 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I properly looped out on a manual today and i'm feeling a bit more confident all around.

|

6/27/2017 8:44 PM

logiperogie wrote:

Thanks for all the help guys. I properly looped out on a manual today and i'm feeling a bit more confident all around.

Practice and patience

And on practice I don't just mean riding. Every now and then you will fall. So, practice on a curb. How do you practice falling? Easy, do an endo against the curb and lean forward. You will feel your body start to... OK, that was a joke no true way to practice falls. But below is something that will help you a ton. Ask anyone who rides and they will say the same it works!

Bike control. You may think you have it, but even after 30+ years riding I find working on it now and then helps me progress still. Here are a few things to do that you can do out riding with friends or alone. And you will notice a difference after a couple days or weeks.

1- Bunnyhop, over anything. The most basic trick. Try hopping onto curbs and off. Hop off of the road reflector bumps and tuck, try to go really high.

2- Jump speed bumps. Do tricks or just jump them.

3- Parking blocks! Hop on and off, try to nose bonk them, back tire tap them. You can session a parking block for awhile and not do the same thing twice.

4- Ride standing up with 1 hand and no hands. Learn to LEAN around turns not turning the bars much...and with 1 or no hands.

5- Riding slow standing on the pedals, jump straight up (feet not bike) and land back on the pedals. 2 things here 1- You will start to know how to do no footers and 2- You won't have to look for the pedals you will know without question where they are. That will help alot on other tricks.

6- Learn 1 handers. You can do them off anything. Start just loosing 1 hand in the air, start small little curb jumps. As you get comfortable take the hand off more and more and off bigger things. Again you learn a new trick here and trust me you will land 1 handed at times. Meaning it's improving your balance.

7- 1 footers (same as 1 handers and in time take both off or 1 off each side)

8- Don't do stuff you know you can't do. Simple, yet most people do it anyway. If you have to start small, as your confidence and bike handling improve your going to fall less and ride better.

|

6/29/2017 10:27 AM

Get some safety gear and start small, Also usually when i fall a lot , its because Im not going fast enough or slow enough depending on the tricks...Shit takes time, Dont wreck your body trying to get there faster, but hits and dings and missing pedals is all part of BMXing...

|

6/29/2017 10:53 AM

Also with manuals and loop outs, GET BRAKES.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura