Losing weight cycling?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/11/2016 12:23 PM

I'm 6'0 and around 185 to 190 pounds. Since I'm fairly tall I know I don't need to lose a whole lot, or any at all really, but I would like to tone up and look better overall. I do weight lifting Monday - Friday for 1 hour, but that doesn't help the slimming down process as much as intense cardio. Does intense bmx riding help with this? I've looked at some articles but it's pretty much all the same thing. I ride pretty hard almost every day. Up to 4 to 5 hours a day, so either way that's good exercise. But is it enough to lose a little bit of stomach fat and tone overall? This is probably a stupid question, but I just want to here some personal thoughts instead of just an article.

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/11/2016 12:33 PM

I think if you want to see more results try and tighten up your diet since you're already getting a good amount of exercising from your riding.

|

5/11/2016 1:15 PM

Coopers25 wrote:

I think if you want to see more results try and tighten up your diet since you're already getting a good amount of exercising ...more

This, but yeah, the whole time you're riding you're burning calories and fat. Not too sure how noticeable it will be from your belly though

|

5/11/2016 1:52 PM

Eat good for you foods, veggies, fruits etc. Stay away from processed crap, and the fat will come off. It also depends HOW you are riding. If you are playing around on a foot tall ledge, probably not gonna do a lot. If you are pedaling like crazy all over town, it will do more.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/11/2016 3:15 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Eat good for you foods, veggies, fruits etc. Stay away from processed crap, and the fat will come off. It also depends HOW you ...more

The most important thing is having a balanced diet (something I'm currently working on) you'll see the physical change faster. Also having a healthy diet will help increase your endurance and reduce your recovery time from injuries.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

5/12/2016 3:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2016 3:23 AM

If your point is to get a smaller weight number, riding bike won't help for the simple reason than muscle weigh more than grease, but for sure it will make you a better body, and as Dave said, good food is crucial too.

And 190 lbs for 6' is not fat, I'm 6'1 for 200 lbs and far to be fat, my body looks better now than when I weighted only 170 lbs, and riding bikes made me that muscle, so go ride a bike eat well and don't give a fuck about how much you weight.

|

5/12/2016 7:08 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Eat good for you foods, veggies, fruits etc. Stay away from processed crap, and the fat will come off. It also depends HOW you ...more

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

The most important thing is having a balanced diet (something I'm currently working on) you'll see the physical change faster. ...more

Thanks for the tips guys I really appreciate it. I know I don't need to lose weight, that's not even really my goal. Since muscle weighs more than fat I'm not necessarily worried about the number, because I know it will go up due to my daily workout routine. My only issue is that it's hard to eat healthy. I'm in my last year of high school, so I'm still stuck eating the shitty school lunches. They are terrible, and in no way healthy. And my entire family eats nothing but unhealthy and processed foods, so I pretty much have to eat whatever they get. I'm not really sure what to do

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/12/2016 7:09 AM

Francky wrote:

If your point is to get a smaller weight number, riding bike won't help for the simple reason than muscle weigh more than ...more

Thanks man I really appreciate it

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/12/2016 1:07 PM

NotoriousBKN wrote:

Thanks for the tips guys I really appreciate it. I know I don't need to lose weight, that's not even really my goal. Since ...more

Get a handful of veggies like tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, spinach and get a light dressing and make salads and take them to school. BOOM. No more school lunches. (Plus it would be cheaper!)

For dinners, smaller portions of the processed crap, and try to come up with a recipe for tasty food you can make for the family once a week.

I too grew up on crap, and still eat a bunch of crap, but I try to have at least one decent meal a day. You can also explore vitamins for help.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/12/2016 1:34 PM

Hit some weights and put that extra fat to work

|

5/12/2016 6:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2016 8:13 PM

If your looking to drop fat and keep energry levels stable look into Ketogenic eating.

|

5/13/2016 5:48 AM

BNC wrote:

Hit some weights and put that extra fat to work

I do Monday-Friday bro

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/13/2016 6:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2016 6:26 AM

without a picture, it's hard to say. IMO, 6' and 185 is prime! You are already doing a lot of exercise and cardio. You just might be at your prime calorie/burn ratio.
My 2¢:
Like others have said, if you want abs, those are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. There is no such things as "spot reducing". Doing 100 sit ups won't do anything for your belly fat. You body burns the fat in the reverse order of how it packed it on. Those guys with the chiseled abs are either incredibly gifted in the DNA dept, or have a crazy strict program where they are counting calories, eating the best food, and are just really dialed into what their body needs. Or are popping supplements of the legal/illegal variety. It's prob a little unrealistic for the average person to keep this type of a program up.

I was just reading an article on Hi-intensity interval training. Seemed pretty cool.

A nutritionist would be able to dial it in for you. Also, keep in mind, things are gonna change big time once you get out of HS. (And get older smile

|

5/13/2016 7:44 AM

^^^ it is funny cause most of the guys and girls I know with 6 -packs eat like birds....and they are either in 2 categories: gym rats, or non-gym rat but very active outdoors-y types. It is interesting that what you eat has more to do with how "chiseled" you look than how much you work out for the most part

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/13/2016 3:23 PM

I'm 6 feet tall and 255, and I'm told I look like I would MAYBE be 220-230.

I still wanna be a tad thinner.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/16/2016 9:46 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I'm 6 feet tall and 255, and I'm told I look like I would MAYBE be 220-230.

I still wanna be a tad thinner.

Well, just keep riding that bike and take the advice you just gave me, and you'll be there in no time tongue

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/16/2016 9:54 AM

Pull up harder on everything!! great for the abbs!!

|

5/16/2016 10:35 AM

motomonkey wrote:

Pull up harder on everything!! great for the abbs!!

Will do man, will do! xD

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/16/2016 11:20 AM

high intense cardio so 28-9 gearing keep riding up hills = weight lose

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

5/16/2016 9:33 PM

Freestyle BMX doesn't tend to work certain parts of your body equally like you would when you lift weights. Like for me, It's never as much abs as it is legs, that's always gonna be a fact. Legs for me is where most of the stuff comes from, so naturally, as I've been riding bikes for forever, my legs are the strongest part of me.

To balance this out, I try to hit the gym as often as possible and only work my stuff that doesn't get as worked as much while riding. For some reason, Biceps don't get enough, and I will also do tricep stuff just because If i don't it makes my arms feel weird. But, my forearms and shoulders get plenty of a workout riding. But to be really honest, if you want to sincerely shred weight while riding, racing is some of the hardest cardio there is if you've got a nice pump track nearby. An hour of straight riding a race track will slim you down. Whenever I go to the one nearest to me as well as the indoor park, i definitely notice the more physical aspects of it. It's awesome to help your bike control as well and a shit ton more fun than running laps.

I mainly refer to the part of BMX that doesn't take as much physical effort (not always), as street. Grinding a ledge doesn't really burn too many calories, or even hitting a rail. Skillful, yes, but unless you rode 10 miles to get there, it's not nearly as difficult as a good snake run at a skatepark or a 10 set of doubles.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

5/17/2016 4:29 AM

I agree with maximus. Putting on muscle from riding is a different story. But losing weight is a basic priciple of burning more calories than you consume. Hi intensity might get you there quicker. Look at those road bikers. Those guys are all sickly thin. Im talking about those guys that ride the shoulder line and think they have the right to be there. I rarely see them sprinting. You got to change it up too since your body gets used to it.

When i was younger we rode everywhere, especially to different trails. Its the only way we could have gotten there. And the trails were much different. They were actual loops with space between jumps and most of it was rollable. You had to pedal. Its interesting how a lot of the big trails near me just have dropins. No pedaling at all.

|

5/17/2016 7:33 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Freestyle BMX doesn't tend to work certain parts of your body equally like you would when you lift weights. Like for me, It's ...more

My back squat max is 295 pounds, so I think that is fairly good. My legs are definitely the strongest part of my body, so Im trying to get my upper body, chest, and stomach to get stronger and more toned. I'm not the most skilled rider, I mainly just ride all over town and check out all of the cool looking houses and buildings. I know for a fact I ride at least 4 or 5 miles a day, and I'm constantly riding hard. My biggest problem right now is my lack of dieting, and patience. I HATE waiting for my physical appearance to change. Iv'e been in a weight lifting program for almost 4 years now, and I am just not seeing any slimming down results. I notice that i'm building muscle in my forearms and biceps and chest, but I'm not slimming down at all. I'm pretty much at a stand still, and I have no idea what to do. It sucks. It is so hard to stay in a dieting routine when your entire family cares NONE about there weight and health. The struggle ugh lol

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/17/2016 7:37 AM

johnduff86 wrote:

I agree with maximus. Putting on muscle from riding is a different story. But losing weight is a basic priciple of burning ...more

I have a pump track fairly close to where I am, but it is kind of run down and trashed from the local hood rats. There is one in the county over from me, but it's only used for racing competitions? Like how dumb is that. I drove all the way there, just to see that all of the gates where locked and it's only used for summer racing competitions. I mean I would like to do that, but it's really expensive. Plus the gas money to drive 45 minutes away every time. I ride hard nearly every where I go. I commit, and it just seems like I'm counter balancing myself. I work out and ride hard, but my diet sucks, so I'm at a stalemate.

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

5/17/2016 8:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2016 8:16 AM

I hear you. You gotta use what you have available to you in your current situation. Your situation will change too.

IMO, since I am 37, riding my bike gives me the feeling of nostalgia (youth) while providing exercise. I jump the stuff that you can walk over. Whatever. It is fun with the added bonus of forced exercise. If I started to assign weight loss expectations to my riding I probably would never go. I need to keep riding for fun.

To supplement my weight loss desire, I bought a mtn bike (for the rainy/muddy days I can't ride my bmx bike). Talk about exercise! I also bought a CHEAP but good chromoly (Dawes streetfighter) road bike to facilitate some calorie killing.

When you get older you will have some more independence and have much more control over these things in your life.

Regarding your earlier post, it sounds like your body is just used to your current regimen. Like you have said, you have plateaued. Since you are already very active, and want to build muscle mass, there is probable very little to gain by riding. A personal trainer/nutritionist would be your best bet, but I would wait until you can control your diet and have the patience for a plan like that.

|

5/17/2016 9:54 AM

johnduff86 wrote:

I hear you. You gotta use what you have available to you in your current situation. Your situation will change too.

IMO, ...more

Thank you very much. All of the positive feedback from everyone is amazing. I'll just take it all one step at a time and try to improve myself in any way that I can!

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

3/24/2017 4:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/25/2017 3:45 AM

Hey Notorious,
You are really having a good amount of cycling exercise. But if you think that you will have to be on diet to loss weight, don't worry about it you will not have to do so and can get your desire. The thing is, my friend was also trying to lose weight since a month, but he was unable to make it to 5okg from 90kg. He got to know about the food supplement that nuez dela India provides, which is a weight loss nut that helps in burning body fat faster than regular days. He just tried once and got the result in a couple of weeks. He is now 55 kg and is really very satisfied with the result, he got from the weight loss nut. I think you should also try this and then analyze your workout. If you think this is insufficient to convince, you can get more info here and get all your doubts clear. Take care.

|

3/24/2017 9:54 AM

I actually started riding again to drop some lbs so I wear a heart rate monitor once in awhile.

I burn about 1000cals per hour at the skatepark and about 800cals per hour riding street.

I'm 25-30lbs overweight so I burn more calories compared to someone at an ideal weight, but I keep moving when I'm riding so my heart rate never drops very much.

|

3/26/2017 11:32 AM

Yea man I did the same I'm 37 , 6'3" and was 195 . I starTed riding again last year and am up to 40 minute rides no issue and I'm back down to 175. Also huge upper body work out. You don't even think about arms and chest strength until you try to start hopping etc. Great workout and you're not stuck in a gym looking at sweaty dudes....

|

3/26/2017 8:56 PM

Depends on how you ride really. Just go fast as shit and do tons of bunnyhops it makes your arms/back/abs toned as hell and your legs, my gawd.

Also make sure you eat enough proteins you can eat just the same but better man, blend up some spinach kale etc lettuce blends and chug that shit like a man. Eat nuts/lean meat. Lotta fruits or fruit shakes, bananas make shit a lot less sour and null some strong tastes.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

3/27/2017 6:09 AM

That's pretty much my exact diet. I do an insanity workout any day I can't get on the bike. I'm sore 24/7 but it'll be worth it.

|