Low Standover

Related:
Create New Tag

12/27/2016 12:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2016 12:36 AM

I currently have a 8.5" standover on my KINK Whip 2013 Hamlin frame, which I love, but I've always wanted a lower standover frame. I love the low-slung parky appearance and a slammed, slim seat. Nice and small and snug.

While briefly consulting the all-knowing oracle, Google, I stumbled upon and read the Forum Thread posted last year about what riders thought about them. But, my question is: What are options regarding low standover frames being sold currently?

Last year's Thread: http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Low-Standover-frame,1303663

Besides Total BMX and Premium's GutterShark frames, I've looked at some Eastern models, Colony models, and KHE ones, but I'm surely missing other solid ones on the market. The thing with KHE is that most of them are ChroMoly tubing only, and I've never been a fan of Easten. With last year's Thread, most of the mentioned frames are discontinued or no longer available.

All and any input is much appreciated!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

12/27/2016 12:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2016 12:38 AM

This bike belongs to RBL550. He's running a Fly Tierra, and, aesthetic-wise, this is basically a dream setup of mine. Great example of the sorta thing I'm looking for.

Photo

|

@scootereyn

12/27/2016 12:37 AM

S&m dagger is the only thing I can think of. Or buy a good condition second hand frame that's a few years old. My cam wood had a 8.25 so

|

12/27/2016 12:41 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

S&m dagger is the only thing I can think of. Or buy a good condition second hand frame that's a few years old. My cam wood ...more

Thanks for the information! Funny thing, I've known of this frame for quite some time, but never looked at it until now, haha. Man, it is perfect, but I guess that comes at a pretty good price... sad

|

@scootereyn

12/27/2016 1:06 AM

8.5 is pretty average for me . I think I rode a 8.25 on this ( frame wise , not with seat ) and I loved it . I like the look of higher seats ; almost aligned to the stem height but they get in the way and cause more slip ups then help personally .

Photo

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/27/2016 3:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2016 3:29 AM

A lot of them are discontinued, because they are fragile, and dangerous. You probably dont want much lower than 8 anyway. Why not get a scooter? Lol jk. Whats wrong with chromoly tubing? My fit Benny has 8.25. honestly I'd prefer 8.75-9, but to each their own. Might also want to look into razor skooters. Haha

|

12/27/2016 3:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2016 3:18 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

A lot of them are discontinued, because they are fragile, and dangerous. You probably dont want much lower than 8 anyway. Why ...more

Hahaha, have a look at my bike check, mate. XD

If a frame has ChroMoly tubing, then that's the toptube, downtube, seattube, and a few other areas, but primarily the front triangle. Everything else is not. Below 8", I don't mind, just something real low. Nothing above 8.25" for sure for me.

|

@scootereyn

12/27/2016 5:28 AM

If it wasn't full chromo it would state that it isn't full chromo, I would've thought anyway. Like when a complete boasts a chromo front triangle, it's stating that it's just the front triangle. Saying chromo tubes suggests it's all chromo, especially on an aftermarket frame.

Get the dagger, you'll have extra cool points for it being s&m.

|

12/27/2016 8:04 AM

If you want your bike to look and feel like a scooter, get the blackeye killorado.

But in all seriousness, I agree with Steve. The s&m dagger is the way to go.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

12/27/2016 8:40 AM

Daggers look awsome or for around the same price get a laird frame and design it yourself

|

12/27/2016 8:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2016 9:17 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

If it wasn't full chromo it would state that it isn't full chromo, I would've thought anyway. Like when a complete boasts a ...more

Steve is always right... i like the s&m, because im old lol, but if you look at any of the total frames, they all have low standovers. You should look into those.

|

12/27/2016 10:21 AM

Tall Order makes pretty low slung frames too

|

12/27/2016 10:34 AM

|

It’s all bmx

12/27/2016 10:55 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

If it wasn't full chromo it would state that it isn't full chromo, I would've thought anyway. Like when a complete boasts a ...more

That's what I initially thought, but, when I looked at their frames on KHE's website, the product descriptions between individual frames say either, "100% Sanko ChroMoly" or "ChroMoly tubing" for various models. Everything else is just Hi-Ten.

But yeah, the Dagger for sure is on my wishlist! Just need to scope out the best deal I can find.

|

@scootereyn

12/27/2016 10:58 AM

|

@scootereyn

12/27/2016 11:11 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Daggers look awsome or for around the same price get a laird frame and design it yourself

A laird is $100 more, then another $35 if you want it painted fancy.

I forgot about tall order, they're low. Not sure about the availability where you are though

|

12/29/2016 8:39 AM

I used to have a v1 tierra it looked rad. Kinda miss it haha.

I like low standovers I've rode 7.3,7.5,7.8 my last frame, my terrible one had an 8 which felt good.

I'm on 8.5 now and like it. I don't like anything too tall though. When I was stuck on learning tail whips I was trying to do everything to learn them, short frame, gyro, low frame all that haha. Didn't really help.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

12/29/2016 10:49 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

8.5 is pretty average for me . I think I rode a 8.25 on this ( frame wise , not with seat ) and I loved it . I like the look ...more

Looks sick!

|

@scootereyn

12/29/2016 10:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/29/2016 10:52 PM

Four wrote:

I used to have a v1 tierra it looked rad. Kinda miss it haha.

I like low standovers I've rode 7.3,7.5,7.8 my last frame, my ...more

Yeah, before I strictly wanted one to learn those tricks, but now I just love the look and feel of a smaller frame. But hey, maybe it will help, lol. Regardless, I wish there were more frames like the Tierra or Killorado being made today.

|

@scootereyn

12/30/2016 7:40 AM

The Killorado is the way to go if you really want a low standover.

But it's overkill.

If it's for a second bike, then I would rather go for the Premium Guttershark if you can still get it. Pretty light-and all the people talking crap on it is just stupid. If you don't dent it, you don't have to be afraid.

If it's for a main bike, I would consider something else... The S&M would be of choice...

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

12/30/2016 5:23 PM

Photo

My mankind justice! Love it. I also have a total hangover and a s&m dagger. If you have the money you can order a lairdframe. Built to your own specs and color. I got one had it built with a 7" standover so it low slung also
|

brakeless maniac

12/30/2016 5:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/30/2016 5:42 PM

Photo
Heres my lairdframe 7" standover. If you have the money they are worth the price! Nicest frame i have.
|

brakeless maniac