Low pressure in tyres - cheating?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/10/2019 2:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 2:57 AM

As the title says, is it cheating if you use LP to do tricks?

I have better control and can hop higher but I feel it's just because of the rebound and it's making me do/learn stuff the wrong way.

When I started riding I was using around 80 psi, and gradually lowered it, now I use around 30, even 40 seems too hard now...

What are your thoughts?

|

4/10/2019 3:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 3:14 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

I have better control and can hop higher but I feel it's just because of the rebound and it's making me do/learn stuff the wrong way.

When I started riding I was using around 80 psi, and gradually lowered it, now I use around 30, even 40 seems too hard now...

What are your thoughts?

I was the same, used to run 80psi, now Im around 40-50 depending on what surface Im riding on. I don't personally feel like I can hop any higher because of psi but I'm dont doubt it is a factor. I like the lower psi for comfort improved traction.

Nothing is cheating, it's freestyle.

|

4/10/2019 3:45 AM

You are wasting your time with low pressure , you can do everything you can on low pressure with high pressure faster and higher with high psi , you aren’t helping yourself with low pressure

|

4/10/2019 4:12 AM

And so begins the great pressure war of 2019.

|

4/10/2019 5:10 AM

High psi hurts my thumbs ????

|

4/10/2019 5:33 AM

Just ride whatever you want, whatever makes riding feel comfortable for you.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/10/2019 5:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 8:36 AM

yes it's cheating. Until you ride a bowl or ramp, then high pressure is cheating.

Riding plastic pegs is also cheating. Until you wanna grind up those brick ledges 2 towns over, then metal pegs are cheating.

Freecoasters are cheating, Until you wanna do one of the 40 things that pedal pressure rules for, then Cassettes are cheating.

Super short/steep/tall frames are cheating. Until you wanna roost the Dirt jumps, then long/slack/low frames are cheating.

Basically it you aren't Joe kid riding a schwinn stingray, you are a BS BMX cheater.

|

4/10/2019 8:30 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Depending on who you ask, riding a bike is probably cheating. Ride however you want, whatever you want. If you can pull hop3's on an MTB, I'm not going to call you a cheat. If you can outride someone who's riding a modern bike & you are on an original Trickstar, are you "cheating"? If you are wired to a protection rig with safety wire & "pull off" a hop 3, yeah, THAT'S cheating. Run your bike however you want.

|

4/10/2019 11:14 AM

Not at all cheating, just preference. I ride 100psi on street. If I had to ride your bike I would probably cry. The squishyness pisses me off. But I’m sure my bike would make you scream so ?‍♂️

|

4/10/2019 11:44 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Depending on who you ask, riding a bike is probably cheating. Ride however you want, whatever you want. If you can pull hop3's on an MTB, I'm not going to call you a cheat. If you can outride someone who's riding a modern bike & you are on an original Trickstar, are you "cheating"? If you are wired to a protection rig with safety wire & "pull off" a hop 3, yeah, THAT'S cheating. Run your bike however you want.

If you cant do the same line parkour with soap shoes...it's cheating.

|

4/10/2019 12:02 PM

Constant pinch flats isn't cheating!

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/10/2019 12:23 PM

BMX is cheating.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

4/10/2019 12:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 12:31 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Constant pinch flats isn't cheating!

Hahaha true this. I cant imagine being one of those people who ride with like 30PSI and have to literally carry around a wrench, patch kit & pump everywhere they go in a bookbag because they get like 2 flats per session. Not hating on anybody but its not me, I've always loved 80+

|

4/10/2019 1:17 PM

I've been riding lower psi for a few months now and I like it. I'm brakeless, so it helps control my speed at skateparks.

|

4/10/2019 3:33 PM

Anyone else find they can ride longer with lower pressure? I usually run 70psi but running 50 seems to let me ride comfortably for longer sessions. It's annoying in bowls but sick for jibbing about and landing flat.

|

4/10/2019 4:51 PM

Remember as well, it depends on your weight. Some skinny kid who's half your weight, could ride half the psi you ride, and it would feel the same to them. And in the same way, bigger guys have to run more psi, just to get the same feel.

|

4/12/2019 8:22 AM

I ride 69 psi. Not just because it's 69 but also right around there is the sweet spot for me.

|

4/12/2019 5:37 PM

45psi here. I get over 60 and my pussy ass right arm/wrist with steel screws and plate start hurting prematurly. I pretty much just ride street.

|

4/15/2019 5:01 AM

Hey guys!

I think I chose my wording wrong.

I mean cheating as in learning things the wrong way and not being able to do them the right way
Does that make sense?

And yeah, I'm like 66kg

|

4/15/2019 5:38 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Hey guys!

I mean cheating as in learning things the wrong way and not being able to do them the right way
Does that make sense?

And yeah, I'm like 66kg

I mean the trick might feel different with more or less psi, but after a few attempts with the different psi change you should still have it. Like I said it'll probably just feel different.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/15/2019 5:44 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Hey guys!

Does that make sense?

And yeah, I'm like 66kg

Makes sense. Nope, doesn't really matter.

|

4/15/2019 6:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 6:25 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Hey guys!

Does that make sense?

And yeah, I'm like 66kg

Somebody get this man a sandwich!

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/24/2019 6:26 PM

I can bunny hop on my BMX with 90psi tires, and also bunny hop on my MTB with 17 psi tires...psi has less effect for me than bike weight in that aspect. The greatest factor I can see is speed....lower pressure will force you to work harder to gain speed for tricks, but you will also build strength eventually to make up for it if you want

the way I see it, is if I survive the trick/line, it is not cheating. I never knew that free style BMX was a race...

I do know that landing the tricks require different reaction time at the different psi's, but still isn't something to "sweat"

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/29/2019 10:11 AM

theres a reason why trial riders and motorcycle stunt riders use low pressure, more contact patch increasing traction and balance

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

4/30/2019 1:09 PM

Why is this a thing 🤦‍♂️ there is no way tyre pressures are going to effectively increase a person's riding abilities!

|

SUPPORT BMX IN ALL ITS FORMS! @OFFICIAL_AUSSIEBIGBOY

4/30/2019 2:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2019 2:20 PM

sydneybmxchannel wrote:

Why is this a thing 🤦‍♂️ there is no way tyre pressures are going to effectively increase a person's riding abilities!

Actually, I find that the rebound from a lower pressure tyre compressing gives a little extra pop when hopping.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/30/2019 2:20 PM

sydneybmxchannel wrote:

I beg to differ.
I ride at 90psi. I found it hard getting my balance, coming out if fakie, anything backward

Rode another bike I purchased and it was much better for me, my balance actually surprised me, was incredible. I assumed it was something to with the frame size or something, I later later found out it had 50psi in the tires.

Then last week I rode my son's voodoo with only 35 Psi. Everything was perfect. Balance was incredible with everything I tried.

It can only be the fact that with lower psi there is more tyre surface area on the ground. ✌️

|

4/30/2019 2:30 PM

sydneybmxchannel wrote:

Roy roofer wrote:

I beg to differ.
I ride at 90psi. I found it hard getting my balance, coming out if fakie, anything backward

Rode another bike I purchased and it was much better for me, my balance actually surprised me, was incredible. I assumed it was something to with the frame size or something, I later later found out it had 50psi in the tires.

Then last week I rode my son's voodoo with only 35 Psi. Everything was perfect. Balance was incredible with everything I tried.

It can only be the fact that with lower psi there is more tyre surface area on the ground. ✌️

If it helps you hop higher, fakie or with grip that just makes you smarter it ain't cheating

|

SUPPORT BMX IN ALL ITS FORMS! @OFFICIAL_AUSSIEBIGBOY

4/30/2019 3:23 PM

sydneybmxchannel wrote:

Roy roofer wrote:

I beg to differ.

sydneybmxchannel wrote:

If it helps you hop higher, fakie or with grip that just makes you smarter it ain't cheating

Definitely isn't cheating, but op stated he may have worded his question wrong. He meant more like low psi causing you to learn tricks wrong .. but I don't think it does that, if anything it helps you to get the tricks right and you could potentially progress into higher psi for more response from the bike.

|

4/30/2019 4:39 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You are wasting your time with low pressure , you can do everything you can on low pressure with high pressure faster and higher with high psi , you aren’t helping yourself with low pressure

this legit the stupidest comment yet. If I couldn't ride with anything less than 40 psi, I would quit bmx for sure. We're street riders you park rat..

|