Low standovers and slim seats.

Related:
Create New Tag

11/28/2015 12:07 AM

How does a low standover and slim seat feel compared to basically the current popular setup, fat seat, post, medium-high standover?

|

11/28/2015 4:06 AM

Unstable.
Add some big bars and you may as well have a scooter

|

11/28/2015 4:52 AM

feels fine. It's way simpler for whips. Realistically i prefer a 8.25 stand over and slim seat. I like how it feels best.

It's all about how you like it and what tricks you're big into. 9 inch stand over and fat seat is better for barspins and it keeps the bike from moving around too much under you.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/28/2015 5:19 AM

Ever rode a killorado? Dont. Feels shit and flexy, no stiffness in such a low frame.

|

11/28/2015 9:20 AM

I love low frames, I do not understand that tall stand over frame trend. I do not do barspins...that probably has something to do with it.

|

11/28/2015 11:24 AM

I ride a slammed Mothership and I love it, it has an 8.8" standover height and I ride a slammed slim seat on it too.

I would not mind going lower though, an 8" Standover sounds much nicer to me currently. BUT, if I wanted to go to my minimum, I'd probably go as low as 7.5 (Colony Sweet Tooth, Total Killabee K1). Anyway if I did go close to my minimum, it'd either be a Total Sandstorm or a Killabee K2 in Teal for a factory built aftermarket frame, if I went custom, I'd just get a Laird Frame.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

11/28/2015 11:25 AM

Mychaylo wrote:

Ever rode a killorado? Dont. Feels shit and flexy, no stiffness in such a low frame.

The Mankind Justice is super close in S.O.H. I tried to 3 flat, it was so weird it felt kinda scary.

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

11/28/2015 12:09 PM

Low standovers are fun. I always prefered them for doing easy footjam whips. But I recently got a 9" and hopping over the taller standover actually helps me get into my balance point. I think it's all preference and style of riding. If you're doing crazy tailwhip and can can variations, a lower standover may be better for you.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/28/2015 12:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2015 12:57 PM

you can literally ride em like a scooter by putting one foot on the seat and one foot pushing.

|

11/28/2015 2:45 PM

8 is as low as id go

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

11/28/2015 3:45 PM

8.8 seems small for me , I want 9.25 or something . I only imagine something low would be really strange .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/28/2015 3:52 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

8.8 seems small for me , I want 9.25 or something . I only imagine something low would be really strange .

yea im going 10. right now im on like 8.5 way to small for my liking luckily i have a tall ass seatpost

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

11/28/2015 4:46 PM

My St Martin frame is like 5" soh...lol

|

It’s all bmx

11/28/2015 5:01 PM

I run 8.25' atm but wanted a 9' so next frame i get will be a 9+. I'd never ride anything below 8 though I think anything below that looks stupid

|

11/28/2015 8:02 PM

And if the trend were 8.5" and lower you guys would be saying 9" felt terrible...

|

11/28/2015 9:30 PM

bobPA wrote:

And if the trend were 8.5" and lower you guys would be saying 9" felt terrible...

I think this shit sooo much, if the trends of the past were flipped around with the current trends of today's riding....

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

11/29/2015 1:07 AM

Tbh I hardly notice stand over. I've ridden 8, 8.75, and 9.5, and the frames have felt different, but not because of the stand over

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

11/29/2015 1:47 AM

Actually I recall some kid who rode his dad's bike ( couldn't do shit ) and it was some super small frame like that , bike looked like shit colour wise but I rode it and it felt pretty fucked . It was like riding a slammed post and flat tires and 140mm cranks , just that really low feel . I didn't feel like you were riding a bike , as much as you were on top of a bike feel me ?

If you're a tailwhips guy it's probably nice but if Stevie can hop 3 whip and Garrett can fakie whip out of a backwards manual , the stand over discussion is pretty flawed

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/29/2015 5:19 AM

High stand over isn't a trend. Low stand over is a trend that's dying out a bit.
Just saying

|

12/1/2015 8:59 AM

bobPA wrote:

James_Letten17 wrote:

I think this shit sooo much, if the trends of the past were flipped around with the current trends of today's riding....

Trends have come and gone several times. Big bars were popular back in the 90s too. Small bars took over for around 5 years in the early 00s. Wait another 5 years and they probably will be popular again.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/1/2015 9:00 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Actually I recall some kid who rode his dad's bike ( couldn't do shit ) and it was some super small frame like that , bike looked like shit colour wise but I rode it and it felt pretty fucked . It was like riding a slammed post and flat tires and 140mm cranks , just that really low feel . I didn't feel like you were riding a bike , as much as you were on top of a bike feel me ?

If you're a tailwhips guy it's probably nice but if Stevie can hop 3 whip and Garrett can fakie whip out of a backwards manual , the stand over discussion is pretty flawed

I have experience with a 7.5 standover frame, and whips were a bit easier to get back on for those who don't have em dialed.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/1/2015 10:53 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I have experience with a 7.5 standover frame, and whips were a bit easier to get back on for those who don't have em dialed.

Whips were always hit or miss with me, stand over never really played a role. I didn't ride for 2 years or so recently and I have all but lost them

|

12/1/2015 11:25 AM

Have no ambition to ever learn tail whips or barspins , but I like a medium to taller seat height , short standovers are nice for no footed can cans I will say though

|

12/1/2015 6:19 PM

cory nastasio could do whips with his seat cruiser height i see no point on going trendy, just get what ever frame you like and go shred

|

12/1/2015 7:01 PM

Personally, here is what I think.

For fast riding where you get a lot of air and pop (like dirt jumping on high and slowly jumps), stability is your friend, and a higher top tube is the way to go. As it was mentioned, a taller stand over gives a bit more stability because you have more leverage, control and finnesse down there with your knees.

If I were to ride some smooth street or technical, I would definitely opt for a sketchier geo but still keep the top tube where it is for barspins. I prefer whips to barspins myself, so I would rather go for a lower stand over that what is current.

Still, the 9 inch top tubes look sick on BMX.

A lower tt would do some good for someone who travels a lot and has to bring other stuff than his bike with him: a low stand over would give more space in the golf bag, lighter weight, and ease of transportation.

The killorado looks fucked up, but I guess that it is for those low stand over dudes who show their middle finger to us like the wiehgt weenie guy. Kinda like "you think this is low? Wait till you see this mthfck!"

Theorically, a lower tt would give higher bunny hops?

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

12/1/2015 9:26 PM

Skylight wrote:

Personally, here is what I think.

For fast riding where you get a lot of air and pop (like dirt jumping on high and slowly jumps), stability is your friend, and a higher top tube is the way to go. As it was mentioned, a taller stand over gives a bit more stability because you have more leverage, control and finnesse down there with your knees.

If I were to ride some smooth street or technical, I would definitely opt for a sketchier geo but still keep the top tube where it is for barspins. I prefer whips to barspins myself, so I would rather go for a lower stand over that what is current.

Still, the 9 inch top tubes look sick on BMX.

A lower tt would do some good for someone who travels a lot and has to bring other stuff than his bike with him: a low stand over would give more space in the golf bag, lighter weight, and ease of transportation.

The killorado looks fucked up, but I guess that it is for those low stand over dudes who show their middle finger to us like the wiehgt weenie guy. Kinda like "you think this is low? Wait till you see this mthfck!"

Theorically, a lower tt would give higher bunny hops?

Would someone please explain to me how you get more "leverage" with a taller standover.

And how it makes the bike more stable?

Standover has literally nothing to do with how the bike handles. Just with where your seat contacts your legs....

|

12/1/2015 11:58 PM

bobPA wrote:

Would someone please explain to me how you get more "leverage" with a taller standover.

And how it makes the bike more stable?

Standover has literally nothing to do with how the bike handles. Just with where your seat contacts your legs....

In my mind, this is how it works:

Imagine a hammer upside down. Or even a sledge. If you swing it from it's tallest point, you get a longer moment arm, and thus a better leverage. You have more precise control over the inclination of the hammer, like, say, that you can control it in 1 degree increments.

If you hold the hammer near the bottom however, it would be harder to do so, requiring more energy (as it is a shorter moment arm/short leverage) and you would control it in 3-5 degree increments.

To put this into effect, try hitting a nail: it would be easier with your hand a bit far from the head (too far also highlights the 11 or 10 inch tall standovers), where the opposite happens: you get simply too much leverage and need to swing far more for the same effect as the medium range.

Now to compare with BMXes: the head of the hammer is the bottom bracket, the hand your knees, and the seat where the handle of the hammer(=seat tube) touches your knees. Would it be easier to control a bike from your pivot point (the knees) where you get good leverage or from your ankles?

I hope you understand what I am trying to explain... It's what I think though.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

12/2/2015 12:18 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

feels fine. It's way simpler for whips. Realistically i prefer a 8.25 stand over and slim seat. I like how it feels best.

It's all about how you like it and what tricks you're big into. 9 inch stand over and fat seat is better for barspins and it keeps the bike from moving around too much under you.

this is the biggest crock of shit since coalition holy cross bars. if you can whip, then you can whip, a lower standover does jack all lol. your literally talking of lifting your legs between an inch to an inch and a half higher when going from whipping a 7.5" standover to a 9" standover, really doesnt make a difference just depends what your used to, for example, i have a total killabee frame(7.5" standover, basically parkrat setup) but i could go jump on my friends bike who has 4 pegs and a coaster and do a hop whip within 1-2 goes... what im getting at is standover doesnt make much of a difference, top tube length, headtube angle, and rear end length have much more of an effect over how a bike feels...
my 2 cents anyways.

|