Luc-E stall/grind tips?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/6/2020 9:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2020 3:54 PM

Im wanting to learn Luc-E stalls/grinds and I am having difficulty getting my bike in the correct position. I have switched over to fully plastic pedals temporarily while I learn so I dont unnecessarily trash my steel pinned pedals.

I know i need to dip my front end and land on my peg and pedal but it seems when I try, I accidentally get knocked into a double peg everytime. What would be the best obstacle to learn them on? I guessing a 18"+ ledge but maybe Im skipping an essential step to learning them? Would it be beneficial to take my front peg off to get a feel for them or would that just be bad habit forming?

I can smith, feeble, double peg competently on both sides so this seems like a nice logical next trick.

Any tips that would help me on my journey?

|

1/6/2020 10:52 AM

don't dip your front end consciously, fight the dip. the dip happens naturally. you have to be way back on them.

18" is probably about the lowest ledge you can do them on (at least reasonably learn on). steep enough QPs are a good place and really the only place i can do one straight up. Other wise i combo into Luc-E. Feeble to LucE, or pegs to lucE.

|

1/6/2020 12:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2020 12:56 PM

jmz313 wrote:

don't dip your front end consciously, fight the dip. the dip happens naturally. you have to be way back on them.

18" is probably about the lowest ledge you can do them on (at least reasonably learn on). steep enough QPs are a good place and really the only place i can do one straight up. Other wise i combo into Luc-E. Feeble to LucE, or pegs to lucE.

What is the backstory on the "luc-E" vs. Lucky?

Also, thank you for the advice!
Is it similar to leaning back while doing a smith, or is it noticeably more?

|

1/6/2020 2:42 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I’m pretty sure it’s named after the guy who started doing them, not entirely sure. I’ve only seen it spelled that way, not like lucky/unlucky.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

1/6/2020 3:16 PM

John “Luc-E” Englebert

|

1/6/2020 3:52 PM

jmz313 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

I’m pretty sure it’s named after the guy who started doing them, not entirely sure. I’ve only seen it spelled that way, not like lucky/unlucky.

Cool deal, I will make the corrections.

|

1/6/2020 3:54 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

John “Luc-E” Englebert

That slider on the top of the spine was awesome! Same with that sprocket stall on the tree...

|

1/6/2020 4:04 PM

Luc-e is a legend.....ecd forever

|

1/6/2020 4:07 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

John “Luc-E” Englebert

back when BMX was actually freestyle

|

1/6/2020 5:44 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

John “Luc-E” Englebert

Dude is sick! What year was that from?

He must also be at least part of the reason freecoaster hubs were invented with fakie skills like that!

|

1/6/2020 5:49 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Dude is sick! What year was that from?

He must also be at least part of the reason freecoaster hubs were invented with fakie skills like that!

If you enjoy vids from back in the day, https://bmxmdb.com has you covered.

|

1/6/2020 6:14 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

If you enjoy vids from back in the day, https://bmxmdb.com has you covered.

Thanks man, cool stuff!

So would you guys consider that last of the old school, or the start of mid school or?? Until this last half year, last time is was into BMX might have been 1988 lol..

|

1/6/2020 11:50 PM

I just hop into it like I'm gonna do a double peg but just before I land I put my pedal down onto the ledge and slightly turn my bars away from the ledge so that the front peg misses. Make sure to lean back too

|

1/7/2020 7:11 AM

Luc-e stalls on quarters are stupidly easy if you know how to double pegs stall. Dare I say they’re even easier, because with a double pegs you’re not supposed to have your pedal touch the deck, which helps immensely with balance.

Just go at it as if you were doing a double pegs, but put your pedal down on the deck and turn your bars away from the quarter.

|

1/7/2020 1:12 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Thanks man, cool stuff!

So would you guys consider that last of the old school, or the start of mid school or?? Until this last half year, last time is was into BMX might have been 1988 lol..

Mid-school.

|

1/12/2020 10:46 AM

Well I did a couple successfully. I ended up finding a perfect setup to learn them. I still need to work on turning my front wheel away from the obstacle before I land but I understand the trick a bit better now physically.

Thank you for the help!

|

1/12/2020 1:11 PM

As a grind I do alot of I find it easy to aim like I'm going to land double peg but turn my bars away from the ledge enough to where my front peg can't hit the ledge or rail. You may also find it easier then me over time as I grind towards my back foot naturally so I switch my feet for the grind.

|

I believe in hub guard protection