Madera... Cool or Tool ??

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2011 9:42 PM

just wanted to know your opinions, if you're just going with straight black, it looks like youd save over $100 in your hubs/cranks alone, but if you want special colors or graffiti (maderas most notable color, which is unavailable one profiles) than the savings isnt so big.. not sure of the quality differences im guessing (correct me if my assumptions are askew) madera products arent made in usa, same basic designs as profile but at a lower costs. wether that entails a lower quality i dont know, i dont currently ride any of there parts.. so.. cool or tool?

for comparison, all prices are from danscomp.

Profile Mini Cassette, 9T, 14mm - 209.99
Madera V2 Cassette, 9T, 14mm - 159.99 (graffiti +$15)

Profile Mini Front Hub, 114.99
Madera Pilot V2 FRONT Hub 74.99 (graffiti +$20)

Profile BMX-GDH Cranks 149.99 (chrome or LE +$10)
Madera Protocol Cranks 124.99 (graffiti or vein +$20)

Profile Acoustic 69.99
Madera Unity 59.99 (+8 for graffiti)

Profile Imperial 25T 39.99
Madera Helm SD Chainwheel 25T, 54.99

ps. i noted the grafiti costs mainly because i think that it may be a selling point for madera for some people.

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

a08's Street Build

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims

2/9/2011 10:05 PM

madera is just profiles little sister. the fallback. the cheaper parts made by them that are still good, but dont brake the pocket as much.
your basically getting ''profile'' quality at a lower cost because its made over seas and has no warranty.

|

2/9/2011 10:08 PM

if you want madera spend the little bit extra and get the real deal and its made in america keep the jobs here not in china or wherever they make madera at

|

bike check http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/ONE-TOUGHT-PODRE,1235558

[LINK TO IMAGE]

refs: fitbikeco77, iridebmxeveryday, nickkkk, floka myers, tinybikerider33, bmxihb321, beastassdick, lee rager

2/9/2011 10:13 PM

actually the cranks are made in america. dont know about the other stuff

|

Maintenance guy at The Railyard Bike Park in Rogers, Arkansas

facebook.com/TheRailyardAR/
Insta @the_railyard

facebook.com/tedhuie
Insta @ted_danger

2/9/2011 10:29 PM

i like my madera cranks

|

Refs:
wade, ~stolen boy~, mattjmuldoon(x2), droogskul(x2), element4all, ron44ald, iridefly(x2), empath_, ajp62696, areanfsl, dontdeletemepleaseandthankyou, JakeSalbert, asilva23, bmx4life121303, TCbmx.

2/9/2011 10:32 PM

interesting points of view, im sort of a profile whore, so i honeslty dont feel a need for madera as a whole, especially when the savings are so marginal. The hubs, ok, the plain colored ones will save you 70 dollars, thats considerable if its your only purchase, but its at the sacrafice of american quality and a lifetime warranty, and its going to end up being the difference of 320 and 390 when building a wheelset. For the real ballers on budgets though i can relate, ive been there too.. but everything else has such a small savings margin, not to mention im kind of bothered that they offer a sick graffiti imaging for the outsourced brand.. why cant i get that on some minis or totems? anyway, thats my .02 i just didnt want to put it in the first post

|

a08's Street Build

2/9/2011 10:35 PM

FUCK all of that and get your self some g-sport hubs smile

|

refs:spikez-mikelee-ScramHype-CGcaps-Droogskull-Blake El Gingero-hcpmichael

2/9/2011 10:42 PM

yeaaaaa we could compare all hubs, im not even saying that profile is the best choice. g-sports like madera tho yea? like odysseys baller budget brand

|

a08's Street Build

2/9/2011 10:48 PM

i love my profile hubs never had a single problem with em other than springs

|

bike check http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/ONE-TOUGHT-PODRE,1235558

[LINK TO IMAGE]

refs: fitbikeco77, iridebmxeveryday, nickkkk, floka myers, tinybikerider33, bmxihb321, beastassdick, lee rager

2/9/2011 10:50 PM

jbeaton13 wrote:

i love my profile hubs never had a single problem with em other than springs

yea, thats me too.. i had the old school high flange cassetts, the ones with the two rows of round dimples, and then my minis, on my street/park that im running and elites on my racebike.. never problems with any of them

|

a08's Street Build

2/9/2011 10:52 PM

i got the old school one in the back its the polished one i love it no one has them anymore im trying to find another matching one in good shape for my front cuz i got a mini up front

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

2/9/2011 10:55 PM

ahh yea, i had a set, they were minty too, i only raced and rode trails on them.. i sold them for only 150

|

a08's Street Build

2/9/2011 10:57 PM

damn i can get a front hub shell that matches mine for 15$ on craigslist but i would have to swap all the internals and it looks like its been laced 20 differant times lol

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

2/9/2011 11:00 PM

getskyhigh wrote:

FUCK all of that and get your self some g-sport hubs smile

Yeah!!! Profile doesn't warranty here hubs but gsport doessmile I think the only thing I hate about the gsport is the 3 prawls I wish it was like the primo mix or the profiles ingagement!

|

refs-TCbmx, mattjmuldoon@hotmail.com, fly for life
pending refs- Scramhype, blizzbikes

2/10/2011 6:29 AM

whoever is saying that its made overeseas ur retarded. its made in profiles factory they just put a different name on it and sell it cheaper

|

2/10/2011 6:38 AM

harry95 wrote:

whoever is saying that its made overeseas ur retarded. its made in profiles factory they just put a different name on it and sell it cheaper

ok asshole.

but he is right..Shop Talk: Profile Racing

|

a08's Street Build

2/10/2011 6:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2011 6:49 AM

A08 wrote:

interesting points of view, im sort of a profile whore, so i honeslty dont feel a need for madera as a whole, especially when the savings are so marginal. The hubs, ok, the plain colored ones will save you 70 dollars, thats considerable if its your only purchase, but its at the sacrafice of american quality and a lifetime warranty, and its going to end up being the difference of 320 and 390 when building a wheelset. For the real ballers on budgets though i can relate, ive been there too.. but everything else has such a small savings margin, not to mention im kind of bothered that they offer a sick graffiti imaging for the outsourced brand.. why cant i get that on some minis or totems? anyway, thats my .02 i just didnt want to put it in the first post

Keep in mind that the warranty is ONLY lifetime if you send the card within 10 days of purchase. If not, you get 90 days.

It is like Nitrous, a more budget oriented brand. Madera is made by profile, and is good from what I have heard. You may sacrifice jobs in USA, or possibly quality, BUT it is designed to cover that gap between no parts and expensive parts. Also, they may have been created to have a brand that can "try new things"-designs/colorways etc without possibly tarnishing the original brand if they fail. It's a brilliant marketing scheme.

And as to American Made Quality, 99% of brands in general are now made overseas due to the cost. Depending on where, the quality is BETTER than USA made. Don't believe me, look at Specialized's road bikes. Made overseas, among the BEST out there. Same goes with their mountain bikes. Hell, their BMX stuff is pretty solid again, made overseas. A buddy of mine just got added to their Grassroots team and his P20 complete has outlasted his Mutiny.

If you complain about pricing on overseas things, if it was made here, you would likely be looking at a LOT more in cost. a High end Carbon Fiber Road frame starts at the 1500 dollar range for Overseas construction. Here it would easily be 3-4 grand for the same thing.

Materials and labor are cheaper over there.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/10/2011 6:47 AM

A08 wrote:

yeaaaaa we could compare all hubs, im not even saying that profile is the best choice. g-sports like madera tho yea? like odysseys baller budget brand

Gsport typically costs more, so I think they are a step above in many cases.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/10/2011 7:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2011 7:53 AM

Madera is the Jan Brady to Profile's Marsha Marsha Marsha. If you read the article that was posted above, it says Madera is made in-house there in FL. It's just not as finished as Profile, thereby saving on costs.

And not providing a warranty saves money too.

|

2/10/2011 8:31 AM

my buddy rides madera hubs front and back, and there cranks. He goes hard, lands hard, hauls ass at everything.
and they seem to be holding up fine. hes been running the cranks for over a year now i think and the hubs for 6 months.
he swears by madera as well. but i havent ridden anything madera. i ride profile. hopefully that helps.

|

when im on my bike, none of life's bullshit phazes me. my mind is free
sub to me on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/devonisadirtygirl?feature=mhum
follow me on twitter and ill follow back! @thedevonrussell

2/10/2011 10:03 AM

seeing that they are made right next to profile components, same people, same machines, same amterials, - i dont doubt they're quality anymore.. which also explains the small price difference. out of any of the littl ssiter companies i think madera would be one of the best.. change of heart i know but being made here in usa by the same people who make the tried and true profile components makes all the difference to me.

|

a08's Street Build

2/10/2011 10:35 AM

A08 wrote:

no, g sport was a totally independent company run that odyssey bought becuase of its innovation

|

2/10/2011 10:43 AM

I love my Madera V2 Cassette. It holds up to all the park, street, and dirt I can throw at it.

|

"I've had the 2 greatest corn dogs of my life, and I owe it all to BMX."

2/10/2011 11:29 AM

get the profile hubs gdh SPLINE DRIVE CRANKS,madera spline drive sprocket.and acoustic stem.the imperial sprocket bends,so go with what i stated and u wont be dissapointed,also,madera does have a warranty.

|

FREE WI-FI FROM FIT?!?! BIKECHECK DUDES!
refs- TCbmx(x2), bmx4life121303, mohawk, iridebmx2122, louie101202, loco_for_riding, daniel21, BMX2LIV(x2), supremelylazzy, lirider187(x2).

2/10/2011 11:59 AM

HAROF2 wrote:

get the profile hubs gdh SPLINE DRIVE CRANKS,madera spline drive sprocket.and acoustic stem.the imperial sprocket bends,so go with what i stated and u wont be dissapointed,also,madera does have a warranty.

That's good to hear about the warranty. Others here have said there wasn't one, and I couldn't find the info on their site. Well, you learn something new everyday.

|

10/16/2011 5:06 PM

jbeaton13 wrote:

if you want madera spend the little bit extra and get the real deal and its made in america keep the jobs here not in china or wherever they make madera at

madera and profile are both made in the profile racing factory in st. petersberg,fl 25minutes away from me.same machines that make profile,make madera,the only difference is the designs n madera usualy has no warranty.

|

FREE WI-FI FROM FIT?!?! BIKECHECK DUDES!
refs- TCbmx(x2), bmx4life121303, mohawk, iridebmx2122, louie101202, loco_for_riding, daniel21, BMX2LIV(x2), supremelylazzy, lirider187(x2).

10/16/2011 6:10 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Keep in mind that the warranty is ONLY lifetime if you send the card within 10 days of purchase. If not, you get 90 days.

It is like Nitrous, a more budget oriented brand. Madera is made by profile, and is good from what I have heard. You may sacrifice jobs in USA, or possibly quality, BUT it is designed to cover that gap between no parts and expensive parts. Also, they may have been created to have a brand that can "try new things"-designs/colorways etc without possibly tarnishing the original brand if they fail. It's a brilliant marketing scheme.

And as to American Made Quality, 99% of brands in general are now made overseas due to the cost. Depending on where, the quality is BETTER than USA made. Don't believe me, look at Specialized's road bikes. Made overseas, among the BEST out there. Same goes with their mountain bikes. Hell, their BMX stuff is pretty solid again, made overseas. A buddy of mine just got added to their Grassroots team and his P20 complete has outlasted his Mutiny.

If you complain about pricing on overseas things, if it was made here, you would likely be looking at a LOT more in cost. a High end Carbon Fiber Road frame starts at the 1500 dollar range for Overseas construction. Here it would easily be 3-4 grand for the same thing.

Fuck. That reminds me, I never sent in any of my warranty cards for my frame/fork/cranks. Damnt.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE] 
Just for the record, when I got my BTM... It wasn't "Trendy"

10/16/2011 8:50 PM

A08 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

traviswooten727 wrote:

Fuck. That reminds me, I never sent in any of my warranty cards for my frame/fork/cranks. Damnt.

Damn now that sucks...

|

10/16/2011 8:53 PM

i ride madera's. never had one problem with them. light, strong, trustworthy, not as exspensive. get them!

|

cocain is a hell of a drug
reppin the RATCHET!