Mafia Hate

Related:
Create New Tag

10/19/2017 9:41 AM

So, I'm pretty new to current BMX. I was a huge fan in the late 90s and early 00s, but kinda lost interest until recently. I'm not very knowledgeable about the sport as a whole, and have only very recently heard of Harry Main. Apparently he got a lot of hate from joining Mafia bikes. Why? According to his words, he did it to help make bikes more available to those who couldn't afford more expensive ones. This doesn't really add up because they sell $400 hi ten bikes (as well as cheaper ones, but not chromoly according to my research) when you can spend the same and get a more durable full chromoly. It would seem Mongoose already has that covered. I've seen a few of Main's vids on YouTube and he seems knowledgeable and likable. Why do most folks seem to hate Mafia bikes as a whole, and in turn, Main for joining them? Did I answer my own question with the "doesn't add up" bit? My apologies if this is a dead horse issue. I'm just nosy and haven't found a satisfying answer through google.

|

10/19/2017 9:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2017 9:51 AM

Because, in general, mafia sells junk to kids. Their "cheap bikes" are, in fact cheap. Cheaply made. But still expensive to buy for what you get. Some people don't like Harry's attitude, etc... Others think he "sold out".

Mafia's high end stuff is probably nice, but again, there are a ton of other companies to buy from that are as good or better, aren't as expensive, and don't sell junk to kids.

|

10/19/2017 10:14 AM

Seems like this thread gets made every week

|

10/19/2017 10:14 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Seems like this thread gets made every week

It has lately, huh?

|

10/19/2017 12:56 PM

You're right that it doesn't add up with the cheap bikes. He (almost) literally stuck his fingers up at the bmx industry when he dropped all his sponsors and went to mafia. Said some not very nice things about his previous sponsors, and has a complete lack of respect for the small shops that help support their local scenes. In one of his videos he actually told kids not to buy from local shops and to buy online, as shops are outdated. He generally just comes across as being a smug prick to me.

I'm all for supporting the right people though, and often get small rider owned shops to order parts in for me even though they aren't local, instead of shopping online.

|

10/19/2017 1:36 PM

To be fair a lot of our favorite companies sell the same shit bikes for around the same price so Mafia aren't the only ones...

You'll still have to have a hard time finding a full chromoly bike with decent components for 400 or less...

|

10/19/2017 4:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2017 4:13 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

To be fair a lot of our favorite companies sell the same shit bikes for around the same price so Mafia aren't the only ones... ...more

Unless it's a trans gold shovelhead.

Speaking of that, they've been "sold out" for some time. Not sure if it's a seasonal "we get this many & we're out for the year" or what but I sent them an email asking when they'd have more & never got a reply

|

10/20/2017 12:26 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

To be fair a lot of our favorite companies sell the same shit bikes for around the same price so Mafia aren't the only ones... ...more

But that's the point. Mafia claim their bikes are as good and cheaper. But they're neither. And they sell direct, so they make more profit per bike they sell. They market them as cheap because they sell direct, not because they're cheap low quality bikes

|

10/20/2017 1:53 AM

I honestly think everyone on here is too hung up on chromo. These bikes are sold to kids who don't weigh a lot and won't be doing flares. Then when they do progress they will start to buy after market chromo parts.
Mafia seem to be getting kids interested in BMX which to me is better than them all flying round on scooters.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

10/20/2017 3:37 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I honestly think everyone on here is too hung up on chromo. These bikes are sold to kids who don't weigh a lot and won't be ...more

Not sure I fully agree, I saw a guy (probably about 16/17) at the skatepark the other day riding a Mafia complete and his forks were completely bent out of shape, he didn't seem to care all that much about how close they looked to breaking

|

10/20/2017 11:02 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I honestly think everyone on here is too hung up on chromo. These bikes are sold to kids who don't weigh a lot and won't be ...more

That is a good point , fuck scooters

|

10/20/2017 11:06 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I totally get this, its like the dumbest shit when all the young members tell a person to find a full chromo bike for your 60lb 8 year old. By the time he can break that hi ten bike, he will be old enough for something better. This forum makes it seem like there is an island with broken hiten bikes that snap every 4 minutes, I'm sure if a 220 lb dude got on one it wouldn't last but this is hardly ever the scenario...

|

10/20/2017 11:11 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

BcBMX80 wrote:

I totally get this, its like the dumbest shit when all the young members tell a person to find a full chromo bike for your ...more

I get all that & you are right.... a small kid that knows nothing about riding BMX won't have any issues with a Hi-tens bike. BUT, if you can get a full Chromoly Frame, fork, bars, cranks, etc... for the same money (Mongoose or used) why wouldn't you?

|

10/20/2017 11:24 AM

No because kids are dumb as shit and have gerbil brains so unless I know he's into it, the entry bike would be a cheapest possible purchase... If my kid was old enough to have focus and passion on a bmx say 12 to 13 maybe a mongoose but I doubt it... As at that point I'd be buying him something used that's all done up. You need to sink a bunch of money into those mongooses for them to really be worth it.

|

10/20/2017 11:36 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

No because kids are dumb as shit and have gerbil brains so unless I know he's into it, the entry bike would be a cheapest ...more

Sure, but we are talking about Mafia here & they don't sell anything better than the Mongoose L100 at that price.

|

10/20/2017 12:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/20/2017 12:07 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

No because kids are dumb as shit and have gerbil brains so unless I know he's into it, the entry bike would be a cheapest ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Sure, but we are talking about Mafia here & they don't sell anything better than the Mongoose L100 at that price.

But alot of other companies do sell stuff better than the l100. And lets face it, the l100 really is just the best of the worst. I'd go Hoffman or eastern if I was in the need. But I'd still get the kiddo a used custom over all that.

|

10/20/2017 12:43 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

BcBMX80 wrote:

But alot of other companies do sell stuff better than the l100. And lets face it, the l100 really is just the best of the ...more

Agreed on the Mongoose & I would also turn to the Bama or Eastern Shovel before the Mongoose. But if someone were on that budget (under $300), outside of used, the Mongoose is really your only choice for a full Crmo ride, isn't it? Maybe I'm mistaken in that thought which is to say I have never shopped around for anything that was on that budget other than used.

|

10/20/2017 12:49 PM

I dunno, probably, but why wouldn't you just grab a sweet used custom for 250? I guess if your set on buying new... Khe bikes make decent entry level stuff thats all chromoly as well..

|

10/20/2017 12:50 PM

I thought my phone auto corrected to sweet used condom... Lol

|

10/20/2017 1:06 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

BcBMX80 wrote:

But alot of other companies do sell stuff better than the l100. And lets face it, the l100 really is just the best of the ...more

A used custom would definitely be the way to go if you arent wanting or needing a new bike. But again, why pay like 300 bucks for an all hi-ten bike when you can get all chromoly for less? The framed bikes are pretty cheap but for a hundred or so more you can have a bike that will last a lifetime if you take care of it and youre not super hard on your gear.

|

10/20/2017 1:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/20/2017 1:42 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

I dunno, probably, but why wouldn't you just grab a sweet used custom for 250? I guess if your set on buying new... Khe bikes ...more

I was working under the premise of new.

But I certainly can see went you'd prefer a "sweet used condom" (I literally laughed out loud at work reading what you thought your phone autocorrect)!

|

10/20/2017 1:54 PM

Right fuck phone cmon...

|

10/20/2017 5:28 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I think "better" needs to be defined. The Madmain geo wise, would be better suited for a young kid doing street and park. I am willing to bet even if I got on both bikes myself, I would be smoother on the Madmain then on the L100 doing street and park. The Maidman is closer to a modern street/park tech bike then the L100.

Now "personally" my experience with kids and teaching them to ride bmx is, A good part of it is head games.
If a kid watches harry main every day and wants a madmain since it is like Harry Mains bike and both give the kid enough confidence to follow through on tricks then i would say the madmain is the better product for such a kid.

Same could be said if the kid liked Haro or the like.

Looking at prices right now. It does look like the Madmain is cheaper than comparable bikes. I would write, the Kink Launch looks to be a comparable bike and it is $309 Vs the madmains at this times price in the USA $229.

|

10/20/2017 6:03 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You're right that it doesn't add up with the cheap bikes. He (almost) literally stuck his fingers up at the bmx industry when ...more

Can you find the Videos where he said such things?

|

10/20/2017 8:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/20/2017 8:21 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Wayne S wrote:

I think "better" needs to be defined. The Madmain geo wise, would be better suited for a young kid doing street and park. I am ...more

Ok... Does mafia sell a full Chromoly frame, fork, bars, cranks complete for $280?

|

10/20/2017 10:36 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Wayne S wrote:

I think "better" needs to be defined. The Madmain geo wise, would be better suited for a young kid doing street and park. I am ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Ok... Does mafia sell a full Chromoly frame, fork, bars, cranks complete for $280?

No they don't. They have some probably good aftermarket parts. The rest is shite

|

10/21/2017 6:52 AM

Wayne S wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

No they don't. They have some probably good aftermarket parts. The rest is shite

Exactly (that was the point I was trying to make to Wayne S).

|

10/21/2017 7:52 AM

I thought the mafia bikes were only like 250 bucks.. besides the mongoose idk any other company giving you full chromoly for 250.. you have to spend like 600 bucks just to get a full chromo from sunday.. and no one hates on them. now about him talking crap about all his other sponsors idk.. but on the bikes are cheapy.. what do you expect for 250.. a shovelhead is 459.. not fair compare.

|

10/21/2017 8:07 AM

Manny Perez wrote:

I thought the mafia bikes were only like 250 bucks.. besides the mongoose idk any other company giving you full chromoly for ...more

None of the mafia bikes are full chromoly , the aftermarket line is the only frame full chromoly and that frame costs the same as any generic chromoly frame from tiawan

|

10/21/2017 8:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2017 8:08 AM

Manny Perez wrote:

I thought the mafia bikes were only like 250 bucks.. besides the mongoose idk any other company giving you full chromoly for ...more

Mafia does not give full chromoly bikes for 250 , The only frames they have that are full chromoly are the aftermarket madmain and justice frames that cost the same as every other generic full chromoly frame from Taiwan

|