Mafiabikes bolts

Related:
Create New Tag

11/18/2019 1:47 PM

I have had a mafiabikes kush 2+ for about 6 months now and I love it. Recently the handlebars have become loose and so I have been tightening them frequently which has caused the bolts holding the clamp to the headpiece thing to round off making it impossible to tighten leaving the bike useless. I was wondering if anyone know of a place I could buy replacements (I live in England) or if anyone knew the name/size of the bolts so I could find them online. I don’t have enough money to buy a new bike as I spent all my money on this one. Many thanks, Fred.

|

11/18/2019 3:55 PM

You can find the bolts at your local hardware store, check Mafia's product description.

It sounds like you didn't tighten the bolts correctly. When tightening stem bolts, do so in an "X" pattern. Meaning, tighten one corner a little, then the opposite corner a little, then the other two in the same fashion. Don't crank down in them one by one, do each in the x-pattern little by little until they're all snug, not over tight. Never tighten them a different way.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

11/18/2019 10:39 PM

Look for bmx stem bolts on google

|

11/19/2019 4:29 AM

Also make sure you are using the CORRECT SIZE allen/hex wrench. Usually any non-american made stems you will have 6MM bolts.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/19/2019 6:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2019 6:24 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Also make sure you are using the CORRECT SIZE allen/hex wrench. Usually any non-american made stems you will have 6MM bolts.

This, just "Close" leads to stripping and rounding...

Also, don't be afraid to use just a bit of locktite on Bolts like this that you hardly ever adjust. Just don't over do it.

When you take it apart to redo the bolts, might not be a bad idea to hit the inside of the Stem/Goose neck where it contacts the handle bars with sandpaper, also hit the bars in the same area where they contact the inside of the stem...

|

11/19/2019 6:42 AM

ALSO, make sure that as you tighten the bolts that you are tightening them evenly so that the space between the stem base and the top clamp/cap have an even gap front to back and side to side.

|

11/19/2019 8:44 AM

readybmxer wrote:

You can find the bolts at your local hardware store, check Mafia's product description.

It sounds like you didn't tighten the bolts correctly. When tightening stem bolts, do so in an "X" pattern. Meaning, tighten one corner a little, then the opposite corner a little, then the other two in the same fashion. Don't crank down in them one by one, do each in the x-pattern little by little until they're all snug, not over tight. Never tighten them a different way.

Ok thank you so much

|

11/19/2019 10:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2019 10:33 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

smullen wrote:

This, just "Close" leads to stripping and rounding...

Also, don't be afraid to use just a bit of locktite on Bolts like this that you hardly ever adjust. Just don't over do it.

When you take it apart to redo the bolts, might not be a bad idea to hit the inside of the Stem/Goose neck where it contacts the handle bars with sandpaper, also hit the bars in the same area where they contact the inside of the stem...

Everything these guys said is scripture..... Been doing this for years, X pattern with a "true to size" allen, lock-tite the bolts (for stems blue has been good to me), 220 grit inside the stem base, cap, and bar contact area. Never a failure since 87. A quality torque wrench is your friend too.......

|

11/19/2019 10:50 PM

You can get the machine screws for the stem at a hardware store. Just take your stem into the store and try out the bolts in you stem and get the same head size and screw lengths.

|

11/20/2019 5:51 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

You can get the machine screws for the stem at a hardware store. Just take your stem into the store and try out the bolts in you stem and get the same head size and screw lengths.

I've found out that the best place for me to go for all the bolts, nuts, etc on our bikes is Fastenal. Besides the obvious, any kind of bearings, zip ties, cleaners, grease, patch kits..... Their catalog is the size of an Los Angeles phonebook, literally crammed with goodies you can use for your ride. As for bolts and what not, 95% time it's on hand. If not it's there the next morning no shipping. If you happen to order from work, they'll deliver it no charge. as well. I have zero ties to the company, they just always come through with excellent service and product. They are a blessing in disguise....

|