Magnesium parts?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2019 12:33 AM

I overheard some scooter kids at my local talk about magnesium parts a while ago and never really thought much about it until now. Would it be stronger than chromoly and Ti or would it just be super light and weak

|

6/13/2019 12:51 AM

They used to make magnesium pedals. Wouldn't work as a frame material.

|

6/13/2019 1:20 AM

Welgo mg52 magnesium pedals are great , I had a proper magnati magnesium cassette hub with titanium internals , it’s super light but gotten expensive to make parts with ive heard

|

6/13/2019 2:01 AM

Magnesium pedals weigh next to nothing, and would be perfect for trails, but look at them funny and you’ll rip pins out! I wouldn’t personally buy anything magnesium again.

|

6/13/2019 3:06 AM

If you keep up with Brooklyn from Scotty’s crew, I think he’s running magnesium cranks or pedals...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

6/13/2019 5:01 AM

Magnesium is akin to aluminum. You certainly do not want it for a frame, at least not a street frame. Pedal platforms, maybe a stem.... I dunno. But I'd think it'd just be cheaper to go with aluminum than magnesium.

|

6/13/2019 5:08 AM

readybmxer wrote:

If you keep up with Brooklyn from Scotty’s crew, I think he’s running magnesium cranks or pedals...

yeah I think he is running both mag cranks and pedals. then titanium everything else.

|

6/13/2019 9:40 AM

I had the Primo magnesium pedals, back in early 00, I loved them things.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

6/13/2019 12:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2019 12:28 PM

magnesium is really too soft and brittle for anything but pedal bodies. They spark really nice too. probably couldn't do stems cause the bars would be able to slip or you'd break up the top piece too easy.

I'm pretty sure the crank arms that BK use are profile Mini Magnutanium which i have on my sons bike and don't (to my knowledge) contain any Magnesium. Weird name though and light kids racer cranks.

Welgo MG-1 pedals are the best pedals for trails or track in my opinion.

|

6/13/2019 2:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2019 2:19 PM

jmz313 wrote:

magnesium is really too soft and brittle for anything but pedal bodies. They spark really nice too. probably couldn't do stems cause the bars would be able to slip or you'd break up the top piece too easy.

I'm pretty sure the crank arms that BK use are profile Mini Magnutanium which i have on my sons bike and don't (to my knowledge) contain any Magnesium. Weird name though and light kids racer cranks.

Ah yeah that rings a bell, I do recall him saying it was a mixture, but never looked into what they're actually made of.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

6/13/2019 6:20 PM

jmz313 wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

Ah yeah that rings a bell, I do recall him saying it was a mixture, but never looked into what they're actually made of.

They're just super thin chromoly with titanium small parts

|

6/14/2019 5:24 AM

readybmxer wrote:

He's using magnesium and aluminum mix MTB pedals with a ti spindle and Magnesium crank arms with a ti spindle. ....also his bike looks soooo good

|

Barends are for weenies

6/14/2019 5:47 AM

If you had a magnesium bike, every time you did something🔥 it would burst into 🔥

|

6/14/2019 6:12 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

If you had a magnesium bike, every time you did something🔥 it would burst into 🔥

Mag pegs would be fun.

Used to have some Mag Skate trucks and they were fire on pool coping.

|

6/14/2019 6:16 AM

Magnesium pegs with impact sensors that release a highly flammable substance when tripped would take grinds to a whole new level

|

Barends are for weenies

6/14/2019 8:53 AM

readybmxer wrote:

bmxmanboy wrote:

He's using magnesium and aluminum mix MTB pedals with a ti spindle and Magnesium crank arms with a ti spindle. ....also his bike looks soooo good

The crank arns are just thin chromoly. No magnesium.

|

6/14/2019 9:02 AM

bmxmanboy wrote:

Magnesium pegs with impact sensors that release a highly flammable substance when tripped would take grinds to a whole new level

titanium pegs spark, mag pegs would shatter one peg chink and boom

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

6/15/2019 1:50 PM

Mag is to weak wouldnt use them for anything except barends even then if you want a safer lighter option, plastic.

|