Maintenance Tips Megathread

Related:
Create New Tag

12/20/2013 7:41 PM

How about we make a thread full of maintenance tips?
I'll start it off
always tighten your compression bolt BEFORE your pinch bolts on your stem

when repairing/rebuilding unsealed bearing hubs, to get the balls into their place easier, use an allen key with a dab of grease on the end, which helps the ball not fall when replacing them

cmon guys, lets make a useful thread for once?

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/20/2013 7:42 PM

When installing 48 spline cranks, be sure you put a good amount of grease on the spindle and line the cranks up right before wacking your fully erect penis on the crank arm.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/20/2013 7:44 PM

Don't crash. Bad for the bike.

|

12/20/2013 7:46 PM

When putting grips on , make sure you pre-heat your bars. Then add carpenter glue to applied heated area. Shoot the grips onto the bars with a makeshift leafblower.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/20/2013 7:47 PM

When putting new grips on, put water on your gripless bars and almost jack the place where your grips would be off with water. Then once your bars are nice and wet and satisfied, begin to put your grips on and hit the end where your bar end would go with your palm a few times, wiggle the grip toward the crossbar on the flange and then repeat. Helps me a lot!

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

12/20/2013 7:51 PM

Here's a real one, when painting a frame, get a cheap seat, and put it in sideways then set the frame upside down. Steady and gives I nice area to paint if you cant hang your frame.

|

12/20/2013 7:58 PM

When removing stickers, take a hair dryer and blow hot air on the sticker for about a minute, that will make it peel right off.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

12/20/2013 8:00 PM

Never grease sealed bearings. Just buy new ones.

|

12/20/2013 8:07 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

i hope your not serious

|

12/20/2013 8:09 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

[LINK TO IMAGE]
|

12/20/2013 8:09 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

chad88 wrote:

i hope your not serious

I am. Ive done it. Mechanic dad told me, and proved why it is not such a good idea.

|

12/20/2013 8:14 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

chad88 wrote:

i hope your not serious

biggybuggy wrote:

I am. Ive done it. Mechanic dad told me, and proved why it is not such a good idea.

so every other month your gonna buy a new headset reeeaaal fucking smart

|

12/20/2013 8:20 PM

Let me explain myself and what I mean... don't try to force grease and such into the bearings, damages the "seal". It is good to put a light coat on the outside but to get inside and grease the innards it is hard in some cases. You drill a small hole into the beating casing or whatever, then put grease into the hole. Ypu then reseal the hole with whatever method you prefer.

|

12/20/2013 8:24 PM

chad88 wrote:

This.

I've had BBs/Headsets last forever just by cleaning them out & greasing them up again every now & then.

bout $5 or so for a tube/tub of grease that'll last you a long time (the tube of grease I have is only halfway empty & I've been using it for 5 or 6 years now I believe), as opposed to buying $5-$10 per bearing every couple of months.

figure if you replace every bearing every 3 months, that's around $240 a year of bearings to replace driver bearings, both hub shell bearings, both BB bearings & both headset bearings

|

12/20/2013 8:27 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

chad88 wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

This.

I've had BBs/Headsets last forever just by cleaning them out & greasing them up again every now & then.

bout $5 or so for a tube/tub of grease that'll last you a long time (the tube of grease I have is only halfway empty & I've been using it for 5 or 6 years now I believe), as opposed to buying $5-$10 per bearing every couple of months.

figure if you replace every bearing every 3 months, that's around $240 a year of bearings to replace driver bearings, both hub shell bearings, both BB bearings & both headset bearings

Why the hell would I buy a new headset every three months, when I said not to grease them, I meant not getting inside them real hard. I lerp them clean and keep a light layer of grease on the bearings.

|

12/20/2013 8:31 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Why the hell would I buy a new headset every three months, when I said not to grease them, I meant not getting inside them real hard. I lerp them clean and keep a light layer of grease on the bearings.

I didn't say you did, I was adding onto his reply about buying new bearings every other month. and you said never grease bearings, just buy new ones haha. it's better to just regrease them, but if they can't be saved due to too much dirt & shit in there, cracked pieces, or missing balls, then yeah for sure buy new ones. and like you said, don't pack the shit out of them. remove all dirt/crap, then put a lick of grease in each side, and spin the bearing around a few times to let it set in and see if it's too much or too little.

|

12/20/2013 8:35 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

This.

biggybuggy wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I didn't say you did, I was adding onto his reply about buying new bearings every other month. and you said never grease bearings, just buy new ones haha. it's better to just regrease them, but if they can't be saved due to too much dirt & shit in there, cracked pieces, or missing balls, then yeah for sure buy new ones. and like you said, don't pack the shit out of them. remove all dirt/crap, then put a lick of grease in each side, and spin the bearing around a few times to let it set in and see if it's too much or too little.

Exactly what im trying to say.

|

12/20/2013 8:38 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Then why did you say "Never grease sealed bearings. Just buy new ones."

I'm not trying to start shit, I'm just really confused cause now you're saying how to grease them haha

|

12/20/2013 8:41 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Then why did you say "Never grease sealed bearings. Just buy new ones."

I'm not trying to start shit, I'm just really confused cause now you're saying how to grease them haha

My.definition of greasing bearings is repacking them completely.

|

12/20/2013 9:03 PM

You can totally clean and repack the sealed beearings on a bike. They're way easier than cleaning and repacking sealed flight control bearings on aircraft. (Yes, I know most of you guys know this)

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

12/21/2013 4:18 AM

i have 3-4 missing balls in my headset, and i've been riding it like that since july. all i did was open and clean it, and put a hell lot of thick grease in there, it's still running smooth, and it's sealed.

|

12/21/2013 6:56 AM

never ride when drunk, funny but hurts..

|

Bruh

12/21/2013 7:27 AM

So much for the OP's idea for this thread. Nice try though Steve. You're better off making a BMX Maintenance Wiki.

|

12/21/2013 7:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2013 7:38 AM

When putting on titanium bolts and nuts, but on grease or anti-seize. Learned from experience, it sucked.

|

12/21/2013 7:48 AM

if available use a vice when installing a BB ( spansh or mid ) With a hammer and wood knock the bearing in halfway , then slowly turn the vice handle and make sure its going in correct .

|

12/21/2013 11:02 AM

Fondue wrote:

So much for the OP's idea for this thread. Nice try though Steve. You're better off making a BMX Maintenance Wiki.

thanks, i just can see a ton of local kids with ratty ass bikes because they dont know basic maintenance
maybe we should make a bmx specific maitenance wiki on this site if the mods would allow it.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/21/2013 12:11 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

When installing 48 spline cranks, be sure you put a good amount of grease on the spindle and line the cranks up right before wacking your fully erect penis on the crank arm.

fuck 48 spline

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

12/21/2013 12:13 PM

Fondue wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

thanks, i just can see a ton of local kids with ratty ass bikes because they dont know basic maintenance
maybe we should make a bmx specific maitenance wiki on this site if the mods would allow it.

There are several maintenance vids here on Vital. I dunno. Might be redundant.

|

12/21/2013 12:14 PM

BMXism wrote:

fuck 48 spline

YES.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/21/2013 12:27 PM

Fondue wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Fondue wrote:

There are several maintenance vids here on Vital. I dunno. Might be redundant.

yeah.

People just need to be better at searching for what's already here. After that, they can post their questions if they don't find anything. Every thread where someone asks for help only adds to Vitals data base. There's plenty variety too in what can be found. It's a lot less effective to have one thread with random tips... after a couple weeks, who's gonna see this thread?

Vital is already pretty much a maintenance tips mega compilation. You get a good laugh sometimes too reading bs in old threads.

But if someone searches for random maintenance tips, this thread can be helpful to them if we keep it clean with good info.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting