Making Brakes BRAKE!

Related:
Create New Tag

10/10/2015 12:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2015 1:00 AM

I've got a rear anodized-painted rim and I haven't been able to really feel that nice wheel-stopping power that I had with my old black rims. Although this rim isn't as worn in as the black one, I want to find a way, if any, that will improve the braking performance. I've heard stuff like Simple Green or Coke, but won't they melt away quickly? I've used soap and water, but nothing changes. I run Odyssey Slim-By-Four pads, good condition.

Thanks! -readybmxer

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/10/2015 3:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2015 3:37 AM

Im not sure how you would feel about this it being a new wheel but when i ran brakes i used to first of all make sure we were running clear pads then we would put cordial or any soft drink on the rim and let it dry its super tacky if you have a car park that has has alot of cracks that they fix with tar (those black squiggly lines on asphalt) warm day you can even pull up some of the tar and rub it on your rim both of those methods are extremely effective but they will dirty your wheel and even ruin the paint but running brakes long enough is going to wear it down anyway.

P.S Not sure if you guys call it cordial in america but what im talking about is like super concentrated sugary juice that you dilute with water Odyssey make a really awesome clear pad

|

Parkrat is lyf !

10/10/2015 6:02 AM

Kurtinator wrote:

Im not sure how you would feel about this it being a new wheel but when i ran brakes i used to first of all make sure we were ...more

I have red Ano demolition zeros that are 3 + years old and have almost no visible break wear.

But back in the day we used simple green, and or soda. Clean your rims and brake pads, then apply simple green or soda, let it dry and you are good to go.

Alternately, get chrome rims.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/10/2015 1:41 PM

This is why I miss brushed aluminum rims.

|

10/10/2015 9:32 PM

Kurtinator wrote:

Im not sure how you would feel about this it being a new wheel but when i ran brakes i used to first of all make sure we were ...more

Yo dude thanks for the info! Was thinking about clear pads and I might as well give 'em a try! The other techniques sound good too, thanks again! :D

|

@scootereyn

10/10/2015 9:33 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I have red Ano demolition zeros that are 3 + years old and have almost no visible break wear.

But back in the day we used ...more

Sounds good, but how long will the liquids stay on? Also, how long should I let them dry?

|

@scootereyn

10/10/2015 11:42 PM

Clear brake pads and chrome rims are the best in terms of braking power.

Or you could design some sort of disc brakes but that would suck on a BMX

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

10/12/2015 7:28 PM

I've tried all types of clear pads and they all squak, but don't stop all that good. I had to toe them in so much to get rid of some noise, but it never got made much difference and it made my brakes feel mushy as shit. Recently got back on some salmon colored Kool Stop Eagle Claw 2s. Nothing compares to them, they're silent, they work awesome, and you don't have to toe them in so they feel solid.

|