Making Your Own Personalized Riding STYLE

Related:
Create New Tag

1/19/2020 7:40 PM

So, I was thinking on riding styles a lot recently and I've felt that not a lot of pros invest their time into this. More so, getting clips, new tricks, and bigger jumps. There are some that are really unique, Trey Jones, Tate Roskelly, Mike Hoder, and many more. Another thing I believe is that to achieve a style of your own you have to be able to master your bike control to a level where you can start to understand it and manipulate to your own signature style. What do you guys think?

|

sponsor me

1/19/2020 7:42 PM

Ride bikes and do whatever sounds fun

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/19/2020 8:54 PM

What do I think? I think I just go out and ride my bike and do whatever makes me happy. That’s my style.

|

1/19/2020 9:42 PM

^^^
Exactly that.. but your finding your own spin to it..

|

sponsor me

1/19/2020 11:25 PM

Wot?

|

1/19/2020 11:42 PM

Anything beyond mid school has no style. According to some forum posters anyway.

|

1/19/2020 11:53 PM

streethack wrote:

Anything beyond mid school has no style. According to some forum posters anyway.

We are all doomed!

|

sponsor me

1/20/2020 11:24 AM

My thought is that you just have your own style. We all have different shaped bodies and strengths and dimensions and minds and how you do something is going to look different than how I do it. Even if it's the same trick learned the same way. I mean maybe some stuff looks similar and others not so much. I've been watching a lot of people and everyone just looks a little different and I doubt it's cuz they put some kind of effort into how things look. They just do it.

Like the Nike slogan.

I think most of it looks cool. But I'll be honest and there is a guy or two that I think look weird or I don't really like their style. I don't want to be rude or mean but I guess that's bound to happen. For the most part everyone looks pretty rad when they land a trick to me. It's all fun and I like being an encourager. But it's like anything, some people just rub me the wrong way. Talking and riding. LOL.

|

1/20/2020 12:44 PM

You can't make or practice style, it's natural. You can't fake style either, cuz then it looks like you're trying too hard.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

1/20/2020 6:31 PM

You can definitely decide on, and practice a style. I had an extremely stylish friend, who admitted that he filmed himself all the time just to look at his style, if he spotted anything he didn't like he'd would go back, and practice to get it smoother and eg pull in any wayward knees or elbows.

Almost no-one is going to go to that length, but if you want to stand out, you have to go to lengths that most riders aren't doing.

|

1/21/2020 4:19 AM

SlavBMX wrote:

So, I was thinking on riding styles a lot recently and I've felt that not a lot of pros invest their time into this. More so, getting clips, new tricks, and bigger jumps. There are some that are really unique, Trey Jones, Tate Roskelly, Mike Hoder, and many more. Another thing I believe is that to achieve a style of your own you have to be able to master your bike control to a level where you can start to understand it and manipulate to your own signature style. What do you guys think?

The guys you mentioned look at things differently than most riders.

They see a ledge and their first thought is not to feeble it. (no pegs helps that some)

Honestly the most creative riders come from places that didn't have much to ride. Erik Elstran is from Eau Claire WI area-there is not much there. Some free parks in other cities, and a little guy near there. There is a LITTLE street from what I have seen, but not a ton.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/21/2020 8:23 AM

SirCaseAlot wrote:

You can definitely decide on, and practice a style. I had an extremely stylish friend, who admitted that he filmed himself all the time just to look at his style, if he spotted anything he didn't like he'd would go back, and practice to get it smoother and eg pull in any wayward knees or elbows.

Almost no-one is going to go to that length, but if you want to stand out, you have to go to lengths that most riders aren't doing.

Yeah, I get that and don't disagree. I guess if someone really wants to go down that road..... My guess is most don't though and most dudes just look how they look when they ride. But I don't know. That's just my assumption.

Either way it's fun to watch people nail tricks. And admittedly, I especially like watching girls.... LOL. There doesn't seem to be a lot though. For some reason I like seeing them succeed. I think cuz I wish more girls did it. I always want my daughter to feel like she can do whatever she sets her mind to.

|

1/21/2020 2:38 PM

Everyone has their own style either it looks good or bad it's really up to the individual and person watching. But it will come naturally or you can force it and make a certain style your own if you want it bad enough.

|

1/21/2020 4:31 PM

This is a weird thread. People always talk about riding style, but I've never thought of it as something you curate like fashion or study like martial arts. People tend to do the things they are good at based on how they learned to ride, or what they learned to ride, and it just kinda adds up and looks like a "style". Big air, bangers, grinds, manual everything... whatever. Except maybe flatland, there's some definite themes going on there...

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?