Making ramps/jumps. How high is too high for landing to flat?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2019 11:38 AM

Pic of a jump I am building, whats a reasonable max height for most people to be able to land without getting hurt or breaking a bike? This jump is 3 feet as shown (just propped up that is not the legs).

Landing will probably be grass.

Photo

|

9/26/2019 1:16 PM

Build a dirt landing, then move the lip according to how far you want to travel. Landing flat is never a good idea. Especially to grass, as it’ll stop your momentum so you’ll be more likely to eat shit

|

9/26/2019 1:45 PM

Worst kicker design EVER.

Photo

|

9/26/2019 2:09 PM

That jump is gonna send you... not much kick in the kicker.

|

9/26/2019 2:11 PM

Francky wrote:

Photo

You may have missed this part LOL
"just propped up that is not the legs"

|

9/26/2019 2:12 PM

ESKEW77 wrote:

That jump is gonna send you... not much kick in the kicker.

Yeah its a 9 foot radius and only 6 foot long so probably a 40 degree flyout at that height.

I will build a tighter radius as I learn. I wanted something to build confidence on.

|

9/26/2019 7:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2019 7:46 PM

Started a foot lower to build confidence.
Photo

|

9/27/2019 4:58 AM

I should build some stuff like that so I can lay it flat(ish) for storage...

But as to how high for flat ground landings, that's all on the person.

At my age (33) I would say MAYBE 2 feet-but I don't do drops or land flat much anymore. Back in my heyday I would say 3-4 feet.

OR, build a beefy second one with a bit less of a radius and make it 4 feet (or more) wide for a landing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/27/2019 5:10 AM

screamingtiger wrote:

Yes, I missed that part, but to answer your question, landing flat feels far different depending on what you are jumping, yours is basically a small box jump without landing which sends you up, then down and step down + flat landing + vertical impact = worst case scenario, jumping from a roof would cause less stress on your body if you are going fast enough.

|

9/27/2019 5:36 AM

Looks like a fun MTB style ramp to make up spots with. i used to have one like it to make drop setups around town.

|

9/27/2019 6:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2019 8:26 AM

jmz313 wrote:

Looks like a fun MTB style ramp to make up spots with. i used to have one like it to make drop setups around town.

I hit it with my MTB first since its more forgiving in case the ramp buckled.
The ramp radius is good for learning but way to shallow for the speed I can get down my driveway.

|

9/27/2019 6:18 AM

Francky wrote:

Photo

screamingtiger wrote:

Francky wrote:

Yes, I missed that part, but to answer your question, landing flat feels far different depending on what you are jumping, ...more

Not sure what you mean by "down the step down". The ramp can kick up my back tire causing a nose first landing, thats why I think I at least need to jump down an decline. Im going to be testing that shortly. I have a 24" bmx so it handles grass better.

|

9/27/2019 8:07 AM

screamingtiger wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "down the step down". The ramp can kick up my back tire causing a nose first landing, thats why I ...more

Going into nose dive is technique, not the ramps fault. You need to pull up even though it’s mellow

|

9/27/2019 8:32 AM

Francky wrote:

Yes, I missed that part, but to answer your question, landing flat feels far different depending on what you are jumping, ...more

screamingtiger wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "down the step down". The ramp can kick up my back tire causing a nose first landing, thats why I ...more

.pegless. wrote:

Going into nose dive is technique, not the ramps fault. You need to pull up even though it’s mellow

Ok Ill give it a shot, Im learning.

|

9/27/2019 9:05 AM

Building ramps is a good time , looks like fun

|

9/27/2019 12:37 PM

It's like they are giving advice at a retirement village at times here. Grass landing is fine on a bmx, just ease into it with more speed the higher you set up the ramp. You'll figure out what height feels about maximum depending on the setup as you go. But 2-3 feet to grass is no big deal at all.

When I was a kid there were a few good gaps and drops to grass landings in my hood, which I'd send on my 20 inch bike with no issues, just makes for a more forgiving landing than concrete.

|