Making the switch!

Related:
Create New Tag

10/2/2016 8:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2016 8:31 AM

After a bit of research and riding I've decide I want to switch to a free coaster. I can fakie on a freecoaster as good as I can on a cassette (until I run out of speed). I've found that controlling my direction on a freecoaster while doing a fakie is easier, as well as halfcabs. 3 local riders I know run the primo free mix pro and they all ride really hard, and have had minimal issues with theirs (just the other day my friends bike fell in a fountain, and all it took was a little grease to keep his primo running). I plan on getting a primo. Is there much I should know maintainence-wise? Chain slack? What to do/what not to do? Thanks!

|

10/2/2016 9:00 AM

I maintain my Cult coaster once 2 months. I just take it apart and re grease everything.Once you start riding a freecoaster you get used to slack but if you want to change it you can put or take off slack rings . About dos/donts you shouldnt use pedal pressure when riding fakie and try not to land spins sketchy because it puts a lot or pressure on the bearings.

|

10/2/2016 11:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2016 11:05 AM

Watch_Doge wrote:

I maintain my Cult coaster once 2 months. I just take it apart and re grease everything.Once you start riding a freecoaster ...more

What type of grease should I use? Just parktool polylube 1000?

|

10/2/2016 1:40 PM

Watch_Doge wrote:

I maintain my Cult coaster once 2 months. I just take it apart and re grease everything.Once you start riding a freecoaster ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

What type of grease should I use? Just parktool polylube 1000?

Yeah you can this grease. You can watch tutorials on how to take apart and re grease the hub for more information.

|

10/2/2016 9:41 PM

Bumping this thread, I would like to hear grumpySteves thoughts on this because I know he just switched.

|

10/2/2016 10:12 PM

We made this video on how to maintain a freecoaster.

The Primo hub will be very similar to this one:

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

10/2/2016 11:31 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Bumping this thread, I would like to hear grumpySteves thoughts on this because I know he just switched.

I hated it and went back to my cassette after 2 rides haha. But I'm terrible at fakie tricks, and I'm an Indian giver. I thought it would help me get better at fakies (instead of just practicing) but it had the opposite affect. Part of me wishes I gave it more time, but I don't think it really would've benefitted my riding anyway.
Most people would pretty much say the opposite, so I'm sure you'll be fine. The guy I sold my wheel to loves it

|

10/3/2016 11:08 AM

I've run a couple different coasters over the years, and they are fun. I just went back to cassette after 10 months of coaster.

I didn't do enough fakie stuff to NEED the coaster.

I have a Demolition Rotator.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/3/2016 4:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2016 4:47 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I've run a couple different coasters over the years, and they are fun. I just went back to cassette after 10 months of ...more

Same here. I got a deal on a coaster wheel build from a buddy at my local shop. When I put it on, it was fun, but after a few weeks I didn't find it well anymore. I ride park a lot, maybe 90% of the time. With the coaster, less was possible for me. Tap tricks to tricks out were harder due to slack, speed control was hard since the slack would mess me up when I wanted to get that last pedal in before a quarter, and I simply don't do fakes often in my riding. When I do fakie, my cassette makes no difference in terms of easy-ness, so I will ride a cassette for a while.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/3/2016 7:44 PM

coasters are sweet. Grease it once every couple of months and you should be good to go! I'd reccomnd a sunday cyclone rear hub cuz theyre going for only $99 on ebay like here . Good luck! and before you say you hate it ride it for a couple of months then decide if you want it to go back or not!!

|