Broken Gyro anyone know?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/1/2015 6:49 AM

I have recently brought a Mark Webb replica bike. A problem I have noticed is the brake/gyro. it works but very faintly I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what is wrong with it. Comment if you know.Photo

|

2/1/2015 11:15 AM

Looks normal to me.

They are designed to be open ball bearings.

|

2/1/2015 1:13 PM

pnj wrote:

Looks normal to me.

They are designed to be open ball bearings.

Could it be the break pads?

|

2/1/2015 1:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/1/2015 1:27 PM

first of all, you want to check your brake pads are toed in, sometimes roughing them with some sandpaper will help if their new and really slick, secondly, make sure the detangler is spinning freely, if you where to hold the upper notches with your fingers, and spin the lower ones, it spins freely, if not, use some oil, and grease(i used both) if it doesnt help, sometimes using a flatscrewdriver to give some more give in the gyro, those looseball ones are cheap and are etheir a hit or miss, I've seen countless of them, you honestly would be better off with upgrading your detangler. again, you could be lacking strnegth through your bakelever flexing, or your cables just need to get stretched out, if you have a good brakelever, you could get an odyssey gyro kit and overhaul the whole thing.

but the main reasons a gyro wont work, is mainly do to flex from the brake arms, or lever. stretch from cheap cables, (or new ones, you have to break them in some.) or really slick pads

if you can let me know what your running i could probably diagnoise it...
rim(and finish)
brakepads,
cables (brand/maker, double or Y)
detangler(looks like brand x to me)
brakelever.
also, a picture of your handlebars straight on with it all setup, ideally, you want the cables to be as stright as possible from the lever to the adjuster. to much bend could give your brake a strange feeling.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/1/2015 1:33 PM

Use common sense

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

2/2/2015 9:53 AM

What do you mean works faintly? Like your brakes don't grab? Do what dkTechEthan said.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/3/2015 1:21 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

first of all, you want to check your brake pads are toed in, sometimes roughing them with some sandpaper will help if their ...more

Not too sure, I looked everywhere. But I think I'll just get a snafu detangler what do you think

|

2/3/2015 1:46 PM

if its clicking, you can probably mess with the cable tension and even it out however bad the gyro is. if it feels numb, yeah get better cables and a sealed gyro. if you have no power, make sure the bike doesn't have those cheap gray compound pads. they're always useless.

|

2/3/2015 4:24 PM

BmxKid2001 wrote:

Not too sure, I looked everywhere. But I think I'll just get a snafu detangler what do you think

If your brakes are not grabbing, replacing just the gyro itself might not do anything.

If you aren't sure what to do, ask a local with brakes or pop by a local shop and ask what they would recommend.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/3/2015 4:55 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

first of all, you want to check your brake pads are toed in, sometimes roughing them with some sandpaper will help if their ...more

BmxKid2001 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

If your brakes are not grabbing, replacing just the gyro itself might not do anything.

If you aren't sure what to do, ask a ...more

snafu isnt much better then what ya got to be honest with you! better off with the g3 kit from odyssey, OR the gtx-a or the shadow sano detangler. all 3 are sealed. where as the snafu isnt sealed.ive seen some really shitty stuff about the snafu ones.

worst to best...
looseball x-brand
snafu (not much better)
Odysy g3(basically the original and has an overhaul kit. its nearly idoit proof.)
shadow and gtx-a(im rating them on the same level, ones a 46mm the shadow is 48mm about the same the shadow has more finishes but the odyssey is debatably the best out their.)

GTX-S: the best if you can find one. GET IT

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop