Maxxis Holy Roller decent all-round tire?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/13/2016 10:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/13/2016 10:34 PM

Whats your opinion?
Here's a link to them.
I mainly want them because I try to do a little bit of everything and my town has really hilly and tight cornering gravel bike/walk trails that are fun to bomb, but I cant get traction worth a damn. I ride a lot at my local park and do lots of grinds so that might be an issue? I also dick around on the streets a bit. I'm not too keen on the sizes though. Maybe better off with the Aitken tires? I have brand new Stolen Joint LP that I haven't tried on the gravel yet or rode much because Iowa and snow, but they look like they wouldn't do too bad on the gravel, definitely better than my United Directs. I know lots of MTB riders like them for all-round so I figured they wouldn't be too bad for a BMX.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

2/13/2016 10:37 PM

I have ridden a couple sets of Holy Rollers and they offer good all-around traction. They are superior dirt tires, and are great in grass and gravel. As far as street is concerned i think they are decent, i found the compound to be pretty durable and will last a while for street riding. I can't say how well the sidewalls hold up to grinding though.
The treads on them aren't slicks or directional so they offer a tad more resistance than say a GLH or a hawk tire. But they are not sluggish tires by any means.
The only real knock on them is that they haven't changed with the times (why change something that is so proven?). One thing is that they are low psi tires compared to some newer tires on the market, so if you like to run 100+ psi you should look for something else. And the next thing is if you like running huge tires these obviously aren't for you.

|

Refs: Josh_Ketcham, mykneeshurt (x2), Brian_Griffin, aaron.samuel.green

2/13/2016 10:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/13/2016 10:55 PM

Cedrik Storm wrote:

I have ridden a couple sets of Holy Rollers and they offer good all-around traction. They are superior dirt tires, and are ...more

Even so, they are only 19 bucks so what not?
I'm not too picky on psi and tire size, but the smallest I've rode was 2.25 Kontacts, and imagine I would notice quite the difference between fatter street tires and thinner dirt-ish tires though.
I'll definitely try them when the ones I have now wear out. I'm going to buy brakes too because blasting down a loose gravel trail with no brakes and worn street slicks was scary as hell!

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

2/13/2016 11:05 PM

Morgan Wade..nuff said.

|

2/14/2016 7:42 AM

Animal glh all around more rubber than magnums

|