Maxxis grifters

Related:
Create New Tag

5/25/2016 10:03 AM

Ok, so I did search the forum, and found only one review in the products area, so all forum Nazi's don't yell at me for not searching:

Does anyone use the grifters on dirt and street/park? The Maxxis website lists them as dirt and lite street, but I have not seen where anyone uses them on dirt. I am very interested in these as a multi purpose tire. I know there are other ones out there that can do this as well, but was just looking specifically at the Grifters since I have heard so much good about them other wise

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/25/2016 10:34 AM

They look like they'd be a good all rounder. But I think they look more like a street tyre than dirt to be honest. I'd want something a bit knobblier up front if I rode a lot of dirt but for the back it looks like it would be fine.

|

5/25/2016 10:43 AM

yeah...that's why I might still lean more towards the Aikens...which is the number on choice right now. I am putting Kenda K44mx's on my Mongoose to make it totally old school dirt, but was thinking of updating the tires on my "soon to be" Verde Luxe to make it both street and dirt ready. It comes with DUO High street tires, which look pretty sick for street alone.

I don't want to ride the Mongoose hard anymore t osort of preserve it since every thing on it is all original right now except the tires

Maybe I will build a second dirt wheel set for that bike and put dirt specific tires on? The wheels in my head are still turning on all of this.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/26/2016 5:44 AM

They'll work on dirt fine honestly but if you're building a dirt whilst get maxxis DTH or KHE dirts if you want light dirt tires. If you don't mind the weight than get the aitkens. Fly tires would be excellent for a grippy all around tire as we'll

|

5/26/2016 9:36 AM

Grifters work really good on dirt. They don't list them as street tires because of their weight and skinnier sidewall. They made the rizers just for street. Honestly grifters are the best tires I have ever ran. I ride wood/concrete, and dirt and they have never let me down. You get what you pay for and they are worth every penny.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

5/26/2016 10:25 AM

Obama wrote:

They'll work on dirt fine honestly but if you're building a dirt whilst get maxxis DTH or KHE dirts if you want light dirt ...more

I am not worried about weight - if you saw my body you would easily see this is of no concern right now smile ....I just want something that is versatile. I have heard other people say the Fly tires were cool, so I might check them out as well.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/26/2016 10:29 AM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Grifters work really good on dirt. They don't list them as street tires because of their weight and skinnier sidewall. They ...more

Awesome! I am definitely not worried about the price, b/c you are right. With Maxxis tires, it is quality for sure...plus, if they are versatile, then it is like getting 2 tires for one....plus I like that they are folding. Easier to keep a spare in my back pack if I need to.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/28/2016 4:56 AM

check out subrosa grave diggers

|

5/28/2016 8:59 AM

I've got a fit faf 2.1 on the rear and an s&m mainline 2.1 on the front. That would be perfect for dirt. But I ride mostly street. I've always prefered a knobblier tyre up front for riding anything. You might be over thinking it. As long as they're not completely slick, any tyres will do for pretty much anything

|

5/29/2016 7:44 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I've got a fit faf 2.1 on the rear and an s&m mainline 2.1 on the front. That would be perfect for dirt. But I ride mostly ...more

It is funny that I tend to overthink things like this...which I think is partially b/c growing up - and pretty much until the past 4 years - I was pretty poor. Things had to last me for a long time b/c luxury money was very sparse. It is sort of instinct. I am definitely in a better place now. I still like to do a lot of shopping and comparison before I buy...it is fun to get to know about all products.

The biggest reason I ask is b/c we have a park here in town that has a skatepark, and a dirt pumptrack right next to each other, and I can literally hop out of a bowl right on to the trail that leads to the dirt track. Will look at the tires you mentioned as well just to add to the list. Hell, I might just tack the spread sheet to my dart board, and close my eyes and throw 2 darts at it...let fate decide

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus