Meat grinder sound

Related:
Create New Tag

3/8/2018 1:42 PM

Hi guys!

So, finally finished my setup and something bugs me.

New cranks, new chain and new sprocket, the driver is old but not worn out at all.

And at each turn my bike makes this horrid noise that seems to come from the driver area.
It is the same regardless of how tight or loose the chain is and the chainline is ok

What on earth could it be?
The chain is a 510 (primo)
Could it be just the chain hitting on the driver?

Here is the link to a video I made:

|

3/8/2018 1:47 PM

Have a hub guard on your drive side? When I first put my DS hub guard on and flipped my bike over, the chain was loose enough that it would rub against the guard.

It's either that, or something is definitely not happy. Could it be the chain bedding in?

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/8/2018 1:54 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Have a hub guard on your drive side? When I first put my DS hub guard on and flipped my bike over, the chain was loose enough ...more

No hubguard on my driveside.

I was thinking about the bedding scenario as well, but it's the first time I hear such a noise on a chain laughing

|

3/8/2018 1:56 PM

Yeah dude nothing to worry about, it's just the chain wearing in... everytime I get a new chain it always does it, It will go away in a little bit of riding.... don't worry about it...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/8/2018 2:00 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

No hubguard on my driveside.

I was thinking about the bedding scenario as well, but it's the first time I hear such a noise ...more

It's funny because about a month ago I was watching Spencer Foresman's video of him building his new bike up and his made the exact same sound. He claimed it was his chain bedding in, but eventually I think he found out his driver bearing was shot.

Either way, chances are it is the chain if you say the driver is in good shape.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/8/2018 2:35 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

It's funny because about a month ago I was watching Spencer Foresman's video of him building his new bike up and his made the ...more

It is the same exact sound! shocked shocked

|

3/8/2018 2:36 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah dude nothing to worry about, it's just the chain wearing in... everytime I get a new chain it always does it, It will go ...more

You sure? That bad?

I mean, I had about 2 hours of pedaling and no improvement

|

3/8/2018 3:06 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah dude nothing to worry about, it's just the chain wearing in... everytime I get a new chain it always does it, It will go ...more

am-shaegar wrote:

You sure? That bad?

Yeah it'll be a couple days of riding and you'll notice it get smoother and quieter...

|

3/9/2018 12:39 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah it'll be a couple days of riding and you'll notice it get smoother and quieter...

I see
I'll give it a few days of riding and see how it behaves.

This is the first regular chain I have on a 9t driver.
All the others were either halflink chains or kidney bean shaped

|

3/9/2018 2:08 AM

It could be that the chain plates are riding on the driver body. I've had that happen with a number of setups. If that's the case, they'll slowly cut in and the noise will go away.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/9/2018 2:43 AM

Ride up a steep hill. The sound doesn't go away, you need a new driver. A driver can be worn enough to make noise without it visibly looking worn

|

3/9/2018 5:27 AM

Yeah dude after watching that video you posted, it's definatly the chain wearing in.... when ever I get a new chain it sounds just like that for maybe a week or maybe a little bit longer, just depends on how much you ride... it'll be fine...

|

3/9/2018 7:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2018 7:59 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

You sure? That bad?

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

am-shaegar wrote:

I see
I'll give it a few days of riding and see how it behaves.

This is the first regular chain I have on a 9t driver.
All ...more

How is your chainline? Pretty straight?

I have a noise my bike makes too even though my chainline is pretty decent. Its nowhere near as pronounced as what you have here, though. Im pretty sure mine is because I run my drivetrain completely dry. Also my driver bearings are not the best. Your bike sounds like the inner plates of your chain are sliding against the side of your driver teeth to my ear. Is there any visible wear that is premature or on one side of the driver/chain?

|

3/9/2018 10:58 AM

Chainline is quite straight

I think that p1p1092 is right, the chain plates are indeed on the body of the driver:

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

3/9/2018 11:08 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Chainline is quite straight

I think that p1p1092 is right, the chain plates are indeed on the body of the driver:

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

...more

Depending on the setup, it can take up to a few weeks of constant riding for the noise to go away but usually it'll go in 4 or 5 days, once the plates have cut a small clearance into the driver body. I wouldn't worry about it; as I said earlier, I've had it on a few different setups but it's never given me any problems.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/12/2018 8:31 AM

Went to work today and it rained in the morning so it was wet on the ground.
When I left, 95% of the sound went away shocked shocked
Like fucking magic! laughing w00t

|

3/12/2018 9:00 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Went to work today and it rained in the morning so it was wet on the ground.
When I left, 95% of the sound went away shocked shocked
Like ...more

I told you!wink

|