Merritt Freecoaster

Related:
Create New Tag

7/4/2017 3:19 AM

As a flatlander I've been using freecoaster hubs for almost 20 years, mainly Nankai and KHE.

I've been running my current KHE Geisha Lite hub for the last 5 years or so but I think its time for a change.

Having looked at what's currently on the market I think I have settled on the Merritt Final Drive.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

I really like the idea of using a bushing in the driver as this is where my KHE failed most often.
Having watched the assembly video on the Merritt YouTube page I notice that the driver has some side to side play. Obviously this is to keep the driver running freely with as little resistance as possible, especially considering that its a bushing rather than a bearing.
When the wheel is in the frame is the side to side play noticeable? If so, can you just snug up the cone nuts and deal with a little extra resistance? Having play in my back wheel would drive me insane.
|

7/4/2017 10:14 AM

I haven't had any experience with Merritt hubs, but I know Austin Augie rides one (not sure which). So I'm guessing they are pretty good.

|

7/4/2017 11:55 AM

Was just about to mention Augie, lol. I can agree that if the Final Drive can hold up to his abuse, it'll be fine on flatland.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/4/2017 12:16 PM

Topseys buddy had one and he told me something went wrong with the driver and Merritt refused to help him out , like they got in contact once and after that they ignored all his calls and emails . Mind you I don't know the story but that kinda sucks ... it does look like a really good coaster though and Blake Yard rode one and he loved it

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/4/2017 2:34 PM

I had one for just under a year. It was my second coaster so i didn't have to go through all the learning things with it. It has a ton of slack from factory but it feels nice once you get used to it. My problem was that the drive side cone nut stripped itself randomly when I was riding. I replaced it with another one and that one did that same thing. The axle also bends pretty easy if your grind lots. Once the axel bent, I replied the entire internals with shadow raptor internals because I couldn't find a replacement axle in Canada. And Merritt is horrible for helping people in Canada. I tried to order the axle and they wouldent ship to Canada and then I tried to ship it to a friends house in the states and they refused to ship it there either because I was Canadian. I asked them where I could buy it in Canada and their answer was that I couldn't. So how am I supposed to get Merritt parts. After the horrible customer service from them I will not be ordering or riding other Merritt parts. At the time 3ride or transition didn't have the axle. I got the clutch and I'm super stoked on it and I know odyssey will actually back their warranty wether I live in Canada or not.

|

7/4/2017 3:52 PM

Sounds like I will be steering clear of Merritt parts. Customer service is really important to me. I work hard for my money and like to know exactly where it's going. Thanks for the heads up.

|

7/4/2017 6:49 PM

Fuck what I heard was right

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/5/2017 1:33 AM

Thanks for the responses guys, this is the kind of information I need.

I don't want to drop £250 on a new wheel then realise it sucks.

I wouldn't necessarily let the bad customer service put me off, as long as those problems with the driver are the minority rather than the majority.

|

7/5/2017 2:05 AM

I was in the same boat as you but said fuck it and bought the V2 Clutch .

I imagine it'll be fine but supposedly the V2 is pretty good and I don't want to fuck around with parts so I bought it . Haven't installed it yet , but don't buy some cheap bullshit .

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/5/2017 3:35 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I was in the same boat as you but said fuck it and bought the V2 Clutch .

I imagine it'll be fine but supposedly the V2 is ...more

I'm actually starting to think the Clutch V2 might be the wiser option....

|

8/22/2017 6:06 AM

Just a quick update, in the end I decided to go for the Odyssey Clutch V2 laced to a Primo VS rim.

Only got it yesterday so I haven't had a chance to get a good session in yet but so far it seems to roll much more freely than any other freecoaster I've used before.

|

8/22/2017 6:18 AM

Good choice the Merritt final drive is junk, mine held up great for 4-5 months then it wouldn't stop wobbling and then the axle snapped i replaced it and snapped the new one in a few weeks. I replaced my final drive with a shadow optimize and ive been super happy with it so far.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

8/22/2017 10:13 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

I had one for just under a year. It was my second coaster so i didn't have to go through all the learning things with it. It ...more

Not cool at all. I'll be steering clear of merrit for sure.

|