Merritt Option Tires (Update)

Related:
Create New Tag

5/26/2015 5:04 PM

Living in Philly 90% of my riding is in the street, so when I see tires that are street specific I like to try them out. When I saw Merritt's new Option tire with "slidewall" technology having a thicker and smoother casing on the wall part of the tire supposed to be more grind friendly I thought they'd be great to try..and at first I thought they were great..they look great rolled fast and seemed pretty tough. But..by day three on them while sessioning an angle iron ledge I noticed a 3/4" verticle tear right on the "slidewall." I've blown out tires on this ledge before casing it trying to jump on it but this happened while feebling it. Something I've done a thousand times on this same ledge with many different tires and never seen anything like that before.. Cmon Merritt I thought u guys put out solid shit..maybe I got a bad one maybe it was my fault..idk..all I know is I wouldnt recommend these to anyone who's thinking about them..just my 2c

|

5/26/2015 6:02 PM

Email their warranty, I'm sure they'll take care of it

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

5/27/2015 4:22 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Email their warranty, I'm sure they'll take care of it

Good idea..just sent one with a pic so we'll see what happens..thanks man

|

5/27/2015 9:30 AM

So I sent Merritt an email with a pic of the tire this morning and a couple hrs later, Mike Brennan himself emailed me back and offered me another tire at half price since a torn tire really isn't a warranty issue, which I didn't think it was anyway. But Mike emailing me back personally really says a lot about their brand and supporting a rider owned brand is what it's all about in the end so I took him up on the offer...so after all is said and done and thanks to their great customer support I changed my opinion on these tires and the brand itself..so big ups to Merritt and the option slide walls..support rider owned and keep BMX going in a positive direction!

|

5/27/2015 10:55 AM

I don't like anything by Merritt tbh. They just aren't interesting or new parts. Just a stem that says Merritt on it. Nothing new. I'm personally just not into their shit.

Those tires are fine, but really it's innovation where it isn't needed. You can do the same shit without that tire and I doubt it helps so much that you can't grind well without it.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

5/27/2015 11:10 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

I don't like anything by Merritt tbh. They just aren't interesting or new parts. Just a stem that says Merritt on it. Nothing ...more

You're right..of course you could grind just fine with any tire but some will handle better than others and if they're making them to hold up a little better that's great.. Really I don't know if it works or not but Mike Brennan didn't have to get involved himself..he could've had anyone handle that but him doing it himself shows that he cares and wanted to make it right..that says a lot..I don't know if I would've gotten the same treatment from just any other co. It was a rider looking out for another rider..and that's the point I'm trying to make..that's that how it should be and those are the types of brands and stores we should try to support that's all.. After all parts are parts they're pretty much all the same anyway right?!

|

5/27/2015 11:33 AM

It's and interesting concept. I would like to see a harder compound on the tire in that spot rather than thicker. That would help in reduced tearing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/27/2015 5:00 PM

Running thinner tires would help in keeping them from tearing. Also wax the side of the ledge you're grinding.

|

5/27/2015 7:58 PM

SafetyFirst wrote:

Running thinner tires would help in keeping them from tearing. Also wax the side of the ledge you're grinding.

this
if i remember correctly the option tires are 2.4 only, so no wonder they ripped

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

5/27/2015 8:59 PM

Check out the maxis rizer. They claim the wrap around tread protects during grinding. I like it for traction as well

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

5/28/2015 5:23 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

It's and interesting concept. I would like to see a harder compound on the tire in that spot rather than thicker. That would ...more

but if it was a harder compound surely it'd be more prone to it ripping from stretching?

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

5/28/2015 9:47 AM

Get animal glh in 2.1 and all problems are solved.

|

5/28/2015 10:16 AM

Mychaylo wrote:

+1

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

5/28/2015 10:24 AM

Mychaylo wrote:

I rode one of them in the back for a long time they're great tires but something's going on over there at Animal and with Scerbo leaving the way he did, it don't look good?? I'd rather spend my $$ somewhere else right now

|

5/29/2015 9:02 AM

Nahh, just do what im doing, stocking up on edwins and glh's. Even if they stay in business ive got a nice stock for myself.

|

5/29/2015 9:13 AM

Mychaylo wrote:

Nahh, just do what im doing, stocking up on edwins and glh's. Even if they stay in business ive got a nice stock for myself.
...more

You can't go wrong there..both classics..I like the flangeless Edwin's myself

|

5/29/2015 9:14 AM

Mychaylo wrote:

...more

lbphillyrider wrote:

You can't go wrong there..both classics..I like the flangeless Edwin's myself

if only they made the Edwins in a longer size.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

5/29/2015 12:17 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

...more

Me too...GLH's and TWW's at sale prices!

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands