Messed Up Hub

Related:
Create New Tag

12/28/2011 7:31 PM

When i pedal my bike its fine but if the back wheel is rolling and i am not pedaling, then my bike makes a terrible popping sound and it vibrates the whole drive system. I just got my bike a couple weeks ago. Whats wrong with my bike and how do I fix it.

|

I just wanna ride some BMX and make music

12/28/2011 7:42 PM

uh, kinda sounds like your bearings are messed up,

|

✞ ♕ ⓄⒻⓌⒼⓀⓉⒶ ♕ ✞
email: nctesio@gmail.com
EPIC bikecheck!
FOLLOW ME @nathanxflex
Imagine there's no heaven, It's easy if you try. No hell below us, Above us only sky - John Lennon
&party and bullshit
&party and bullshit
&party and bullshit

12/28/2011 7:55 PM

try loosening your hub. that happened to my old hub also

|

i ride a Sunday

Refs: irideafly, subrosarider65, ridebmx456, ayobmx, spikez5

cell #: 424-219-2490

12/28/2011 8:21 PM

heres what it sounds like if that helps

|

12/28/2011 8:23 PM

maroonandgold13 wrote:

heres what it sounds like if that helps

omg that sound horrible kinda like a bunch of nuts and bolts in a blender

|

12/28/2011 8:49 PM

Dkrider15 wrote:

omg that sound horrible kinda like a bunch of nuts and bolts in a blender

yeah it makes me cringe

|

12/28/2011 9:22 PM

My first guess is that a pawl or multiple pawls have grit under them or are misaligned and don't get compressed far enough into the driver, causing the engagement ring to have to force itself over the top of the pawls while freewheeling. Normally the engagement ring would just skip over the top of the pawls lightly, making the normal ratcheting sound. In this case, I suspect that something is underneath the pawls making it much more difficult to compress the pawls in a freewheeling scenario.

Could also be your bearings...Simple way to tell is to remove the wheel and spin the axle without touching the driver; if it spins smoothly, then your bearings are probably fine. If it's really difficult to spin, then your bearings could be at fault...are these sealed or unsealed bearings?

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

12/28/2011 9:41 PM

tibug wrote:

My first guess is that a pawl or multiple pawls have grit under them or are misaligned and don't get compressed far enough into the driver, causing the engagement ring to have to force itself over the top of the pawls while freewheeling. Normally the engagement ring would just skip over the top of the pawls lightly, making the normal ratcheting sound. In this case, I suspect that something is underneath the pawls making it much more difficult to compress the pawls in a freewheeling scenario.

Could also be your bearings...Simple way to tell is to remove the wheel and spin the axle without touching the driver; if it spins smoothly, then your bearings are probably fine. If it's really difficult to spin, then your bearings could be at fault...are these sealed or unsealed bearings?

im all confused about pawls and engagement rings. im not getting married lol. but seriously what are they

|

12/28/2011 9:53 PM

maroonandgold13 wrote:

im all confused about pawls and engagement rings. im not getting married lol. but seriously what are they

This is much easier to explain in person with a hub to demonstrate. I will do my best. I may make a video sometime.

Okay so this is what a normal cassette hub looks like inside with the driver removed. The notches you see form the "engagement ring." It is called an engagement ring because the pawls "engage" into the flat sides of the notches when you are pedaling. When you are freewheeling, the pawls skip over the angled sides of the notches.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Here is a normal BMX driver. See the sharp edge of each of the pawls? That sharp edge is what catches the flat edge of the engagement ring notches when you're pedaling. When you stop pedaling, the flat tops of the spring-loaded pawl hit the angled sides of the notched engagement ring and push the pawl down. This makes the ratcheting sound we all know and love...

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Here is a driver with the pawls removed, just so we're clear on what a pawl is:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

I'm really sorry that I can't explain it any better. If I was face to face with you and had a hub to show you, you'd understand it in 20 seconds.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

12/29/2011 8:35 AM

tibug wrote:

This is much easier to explain in person with a hub to demonstrate. I will do my best. I may make a video sometime.

Okay so this is what a normal cassette hub looks like inside with the driver removed. The notches you see form the "engagement ring." It is called an engagement ring because the pawls "engage" into the flat sides of the notches when you are pedaling. When you are freewheeling, the pawls skip over the angled sides of the notches.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Here is a normal BMX driver. See the sharp edge of each of the pawls? That sharp edge is what catches the flat edge of the engagement ring notches when you're pedaling. When you stop pedaling, the flat tops of the spring-loaded pawl hit the angled sides of the notched engagement ring and push the pawl down. This makes the ratcheting sound we all know and love...

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Here is a driver with the pawls removed, just so we're clear on what a pawl is:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

I'm really sorry that I can't explain it any better. If I was face to face with you and had a hub to show you, you'd understand it in 20 seconds.

its alright i understand it now.

|

12/29/2011 4:40 PM

tibug wrote:

what is the differnce between sealed and unsealed?
i cant take the bolt off to remove my driver.

|

12/29/2011 5:27 PM

if it's unsealed you will see loads of tiny metals ball bearings inside the hub, if it's sealed then you will see bearings in a case. If you have ever seen a skateboard bearing they are sealed bearings

Sealed

un-sealed

|