Messed up wheel lacing..

Related:
Create New Tag

10/28/2013 8:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/28/2013 8:16 PM

So yeah, smokesmokesmoke faggot either laced the rear wheel himself or had someone build it before selling it to me. There is a crossover at the valve, which is obviously wrong for 3x lacing. I rode it for about a week and I snapped a spoke yesterday trying a 360. Should I just replace the spoke and keep riding or rebuild the whole wheel? The spokes were at a decent tension, not too loose, not too tight.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

10/28/2013 8:21 PM

post a picture of it. he might have had it laced correctly pattern-wise, but didn't know how to not make the spokes cross the valve. that was a tricky process when I first learned how to lace wheels

|

10/28/2013 8:21 PM

can you lace? if just re lace the whole wheel.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

10/28/2013 8:44 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

I've done it correctly before like 3 times. Truing is the only bitchy part.. I'm really lazy at the moment and almost have 3s so I kinda wanted to go along with it but I don't wanna mess up my wheel more so I might take some time off.. i don't even think I have any backup spokes that are the right size.. And the spoke snapped off at it's head btw, not the threaded part at the nipple, so I'm gonna have to place the spoke in a vise and try to get the nipple off. Such a pain....

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

10/28/2013 8:47 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

post a picture of it. he might have had it laced correctly pattern-wise, but didn't know how to not make the spokes cross the valve. that was a tricky process when I first learned how to lace wheels

I thought 36H 3x lacing was never supposed to cross the valve area.. Everywhere and everyone teaches that there should not be a crossover and there should be plenty of room for you to fill up the tube, which I barely had room to put my pump valve on.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

10/28/2013 8:48 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I've done it correctly before like 3 times. Truing is the only bitchy part.. I'm really lazy at the moment and almost have 3s so I kinda wanted to go along with it but I don't wanna mess up my wheel more so I might take some time off.. i don't even think I have any backup spokes that are the right size.. And the spoke snapped off at it's head btw, not the threaded part at the nipple, so I'm gonna have to place the spoke in a vise and try to get the nipple off. Such a pain....

Haha i know what you mean it probably will be ok for the time being it the spokes are tight.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

10/28/2013 9:01 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

Haha i know what you mean it probably will be ok for the time being it the spokes are tight.

I don't know, dude.. To be safe, I might just relace the whole thing and check out spoke sizes and whatnot, cause 3 of the spokes are different.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

10/28/2013 9:02 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I thought 36H 3x lacing was never supposed to cross the valve area.. Everywhere and everyone teaches that there should not be a crossover and there should be plenty of room for you to fill up the tube, which I barely had room to put my pump valve on.

It's not SUPPOSED to, but sometimes it will if whoever laced it didn't start at the right place or turned the wheel the wrong way. See the red circle? That's where the valve should be, but the blue is where it could also be if it was laced starting from the wrong point or turned the wrong way when lacing itPhoto

|

10/28/2013 9:17 PM

Yes, the blue spot replaces the red. Just saying it in words that there's a crossover at the valve already isn't right.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

10/28/2013 9:19 PM

Damn. You kept the old wheelset?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

10/28/2013 9:42 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Yes, the blue spot replaces the red. Just saying it in words that there's a crossover at the valve already isn't right.

then it's probably laced correctly pattern-wise, but whoever laced it didn't get the spokes where they're supposed to be, like I said earlier. I can't say for sure without seeing pictures and it might also be an easy fix. when I used to lace them like that because I didn't know where to start, all I'd do is move one of the side's spokes down or up one until it was right.

and yeah I kept the gold wheels, minus the cassette cause that's still in use

|

10/29/2013 3:24 AM

i really wouldnt worry about it at all,Sourcebmx did the same thing to my front wheel and ive been rocking it with 0 problems for 1.5 or 2.5 years.... starting to loose track

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

10/29/2013 6:25 AM

Easiest way to do it would be tape the cross points on the spokes, take all nipples off, line up the space with the valve, and reinsert spokes and nipples, then to true, tighten 1/2 a turn at a time, then 1/4 turn at a time. If it was set up evenly, it should be decently true.

Or just ride it til weather gets crappy, then rebuild it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/29/2013 8:58 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Easiest way to do it would be tape the cross points on the spokes, take all nipples off, line up the space with the valve, and reinsert spokes and nipples, then to true, tighten 1/2 a turn at a time, then 1/4 turn at a time. If it was set up evenly, it should be decently true.

Worst problem is that I don't have a proper spoke wrench. I've had 2 of the cheap $5 ones and they stripped out a few months ago. I've been using a small adjustable wrench for over a good half year. I will just use a random spoke probably not the same size, and hopefully I can true it and keep wobbling and stuff to a real minimum. I have no idea how my spoke snapped in the first place.. Either too loose/unproper tension or laced wrong. But like Sunday said above, it wouldn't really matter because it's actually laced correctly, but not placed correctly. It truly is a pain in the ass to pump up my tire though..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

10/30/2013 8:14 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Worst problem is that I don't have a proper spoke wrench. I've had 2 of the cheap $5 ones and they stripped out a few months ago. I've been using a small adjustable wrench for over a good half year. I will just use a random spoke probably not the same size, and hopefully I can true it and keep wobbling and stuff to a real minimum. I have no idea how my spoke snapped in the first place.. Either too loose/unproper tension or laced wrong. But like Sunday said above, it wouldn't really matter because it's actually laced correctly, but not placed correctly. It truly is a pain in the ass to pump up my tire though..

Then I would temp fix it for now, and rebuild in some down time this winter. I see you are in CA, so your "winter" is a little rain on a random tuesday in January, but maybe investing in the time (should be doable in like an hour or so to the unexperienced) and a legit park tool spoke wrench (correct size!!!) isn't a bad idea, then take it to a shop for a full truing/tensioning?

That way it won't suck balls to air up the tire, and it will be solid for next season.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura