Metal VS PC

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2018 9:17 AM

I've been running pc pedals pretty much my entire time riding and the only issue I have is the eventual wear down/loss of pins, I do a lot of crankflips and ride on the upper ball of my feet (so i have more of a chance of slipping a foot). I'm considering switching to some pedals with PC bodies and metal pins but I'm nervous to risk my shins since PC pedals have put some big cuts in my shins already.
How much more of a risk/danger are pedals with metal pins compared to PC?

|

3/5/2018 9:23 AM

get metal pedals and shin pads

|

It’s all bmx

3/5/2018 9:43 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

get metal pedals and shin pads

Yeah do this. Metal pedals are the way to go, I've always ridden them. I could never go back to plastic.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

3/5/2018 9:45 AM

Ran full metal Wellgo pedals years back, but I haven’t gone back to them since. Gave me a nasty shinner, lol. Metals are grippier in most cases, but I think that many plastics can feel like metals if the pins are setup right.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/5/2018 9:45 AM

Alloy Odyssey Grandstands are awesome, i have a pair. shinners happen, it's whatever. I have yet to shin myself luckily but if you're scared then just get some shadow invisalite shin pads. my friend has em and i can't really tell he has em on and it protects him. Wearing jeans help too. That's what i do.

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

3/5/2018 9:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 9:56 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Ran full metal Wellgo pedals years back, but I haven’t gone back to them since. Gave me a nasty shinner, lol. Metals are ...more

Yep
I have invisalite shins. Great pads

Edit, wrong quote, cant change it sorry

|

3/5/2018 10:02 AM

I ride Odyssey Twisted Pros because they're pretty durable (for PC) and have an extra wide, super comfy platform. Not to mention they're super cheap.

I just add my own metal pins to them when they wear down. Also helps with crank flips, heavier drive trains spin faster.

Just get a set of small Allen head bolts from a hardware store, drill holes slightly smaller than the bolts into the pedal bodies, and thread the bolts through the holes. Pretty simple really, and cheaper than most plastic with metal pin pedals.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/5/2018 10:09 AM

I ran full metal for a LONG time, and shin guards (I got some again recently-pumped about this). They will tear up shins if given the chance.

So get em and get some shin guards. While you're at it, get knee pads too. Your knees and future self will thank you.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/5/2018 3:50 PM

I still have scars from my old primo tenderizers, when I was like 12 years old lol. Just came back a couple years ago, and have been riding plastics for a while, recently switched over to metal, and I'm loving the extra grip. I used to do a lot of crank flips, but haven't actually done any with the new pedals yet. I'm sure I'll start playing with them again soon. I don't think I'll ever mess with shin guards, so I'm sure I'll have a few new scars soon, but whatever, that's part of the game. Love the grip of metal, and the smoothness of sealed bearings feels nice too. Neither are deal breakers though.

|

3/5/2018 5:53 PM

I always have ridden metals...the shin damage was just part of the game. Still use metal pedals on both BMX and MTB. Scars happen, but have never kept me from riding. I can't stand the feel or look of the plastic pedals...seems cheap to me, but I am old. Back in the 80's kids bikes had plastic pedals, the cool bikes had metal. Hell, they were even called "Bear Trap" pedals....METAL!!!!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

3/5/2018 6:04 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I ran full metal for a LONG time, and shin guards (I got some again recently-pumped about this). They will tear up shins if ...more

Yes, dont fuck around without knee-pads...i promised myself to never do tricks without them. Knees are pretty damn important...

|

3/5/2018 6:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 6:09 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I always have ridden metals...the shin damage was just part of the game. Still use metal pedals on both BMX and MTB. Scars ...more

I recently switched to plastics because my metal pedals were too grippy. You can "tune" the pins by modifying them, or shortening them by placing spacers under the pin heads (or just buy the length you want). But having too much grip can be dangerous (as I found out recently) and you can sometimes have a much more difficult time bailing.

That being said, I still run alloy grandstands with shorter fatter pins on my dirtjumper. Plastic on my street bikes but the pins do wear down pretty quick, I admit.

|

3/5/2018 6:22 PM

I myself like metal , breaking a pc pedal sucks when you go too big , that being said I’ve broke metal pedals as well , what do you want to do ? If you want to get amplitude get metal , if you want to pedal grind pc seems to be the way to go

|

3/5/2018 6:34 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I always have ridden metals...the shin damage was just part of the game. Still use metal pedals on both BMX and MTB. Scars ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

I recently switched to plastics because my metal pedals were too grippy. You can "tune" the pins by modifying them, or ...more

I hear ya about the pins being too sticky sometimes, but I am so used to the feel from how long I have ridden with them that it feels weird to not have the sticky feel underneath me. Like when I hop on my step-sons bike, I can't "feel" the pedals. it makes me leary to get off the ground

I am weird in that way when I drum too...I have to be barefoot or I can't work the bass pedals. Even on formal gigs when I am in a tux, I will sneak off my shoes and play barefoot.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

3/5/2018 7:25 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I recently switched to plastics because my metal pedals were too grippy. You can "tune" the pins by modifying them, or ...more

Yeah i found out that the stickyness can mess you up. I was practicing manual 180s on flat and was about to loop out but my back foot was stuck on and i fell on my butt. Very sad sight. Still love my alloy grandstands to death though.

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

3/5/2018 8:09 PM

Odyssey ogpc. Plastic with metal pins.

|

3/6/2018 4:43 AM

I prefer plastic. I only slide on one side of them to help prolong their life. But I find my feet slip out of a comfortable position with metal. The pins sit in the pattern of my shoes, and not where I want it. Plus I like to shimmy my feet to get em where I want them.
I'm currently using bsd safari and they've held up really well

|

3/6/2018 2:05 PM

Ran some metal pedals my entire life despite never having pegs and always doing pedal slides until my most recent pair. I just couldn't pass up some ody twisted pc for 13 bucks. Like everything else I've tried bmx wise I got used to it in a day or two and hardly ever slip off which was my biggest fear. Sometimes I miss metal but there are pros and cons to everything and for me the pros of plastic outweigh the cons. I like sliding down shit and used to sorta hold back on what I'd do because I liked my pedals so much and didnt want em thrashed but now I'm just like whatever which opens up trying more tricks on different fucked off surfaces. The price awesome, I don't mind at all ruining a pair and unless they're wet they grip good enough for me. I miss the sound of metal grinding away tho

|

@coupd_tat