Metal parks

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2018 9:30 AM

I was riding around the city and found a skatepark randomly, I thought I would try it out because no one was using it. I don't know if it was my tires or what but I got zero traction on everything in the park.
Is there a trick to riding metal parks? Do I need a different set of tires?(currently using Animal TWW and GLH)
Are metal parks just terrible?
I want to learn how to ride parks, but with the amount I was slipping I have zero confidence even trying to ride up the quarter let alone dropping in.
Any tips would be helpful. Thank you.

|

6/12/2018 9:49 AM

Probably just metal parks

|

Hmmm

6/12/2018 9:51 AM

metal parks = satans asshole

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

6/12/2018 9:52 AM

The trick to riding metal parks is not to.

Yes, metal/pre-fab parks are terrible, objectively. They get dangerously hot; have kink and kickplate issues; they warp, which exacerbates the kink/kickplate issues; sharp edges and exposed fasteners; slick surfaces regardless of moisture levels. I could probably think of more.

And for my part, I've never ridden one that was arranged such that one could establish any sort of line, granted all of the ones I've ridden are/were on really small concrete pads. Fair enough.

|

6/12/2018 10:30 AM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

metal parks = satans asshole

Yup discovered this yesterday. Went and tried a metal park for the first and last time. I used the quarter not considering traction and it was not pretty.

|

6/12/2018 10:49 AM

GMGuinn wrote:

The trick to riding metal parks is not to.

Yes, metal/pre-fab parks are terrible, objectively. They get dangerously hot; have ...more

This

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

6/12/2018 10:53 AM

My local is metal and in all honesty, I've never slipped out. I've rarely seen anyone else slide out either. As long as it's dry and dirt free, it should be fine

|

6/12/2018 11:03 AM

I’ve rode some damn grippy well built metal parks and some sketchy slippery ones , go to the park with a bucket and mop and mop the park with Coca Cola then come back later , should have more grip

|

6/12/2018 11:27 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I’ve rode some damn grippy well built metal parks and some sketchy slippery ones , go to the park with a bucket and mop and ...more

That's because when you do that you aren't actually riding in the ramps, you are riding on a thin layer of ants and wasps that are stuck to the coca cola.
Ants and wasps are very grippy

|

Hmmm

6/12/2018 11:33 PM

There's a metal park near me and it's really big, well designed and grippy. One of my favourites for sure. Must be an anomaly

|

6/13/2018 12:24 AM

It depends on multiple things. Temperature for one, the warmer weather bring hotter ramps and more grip. But as far as a type of tire...no. It’s bike control and how good the park is. Some grip very well and some just don’t. I have been to a few that they have like a fine grip type surface, almost like really fine sandpaper. Other parks are just like butter and you slide everywhere. We have one about a mile away from my house that sucks so bad I don’t even stop. The grind box is all that is worth riding and only if I don’t have much time.

|

6/13/2018 1:23 AM

Everything you need to know about riding metal ramps in this vid, check it out.

|

Ride everything

6/13/2018 3:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 3:37 AM

My local for years was a metal park. Hated it. All the boxes had hardly any space on top so if you were trying to learn flyout tricks you either landed them of fell off the 5ft boxes to concrete. Super super slippery if it even drizzled for 5 minutes and once you've slid out a few times it puts you off. Never felt smooth riding metal either, every time you land it's like setting off a minor earthquake.

|

6/13/2018 5:29 AM

The only metal ones I have ridden have been garbage, but I'm pretty sure there are decent ones.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

6/13/2018 8:28 AM

The only good ones I have seen or rode have a hat fine fruit on them. But, not all can be bad. Scotty Cranmers crew hits them in NJ all of the time

|

6/13/2018 10:47 AM

We have mostly concrete parks here but we have some smaller metal parks and they are a nightmare with any set of tires I have tried. I avoid them, its not worth it to me to slide out and bruise my hip and elbow. Lol

|

6/13/2018 11:24 AM

Metal parks are like meth.

Just don't do it.

|

6/13/2018 11:29 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

My local is metal and in all honesty, I've never slipped out. I've rarely seen anyone else slide out either. As long as it's ...more

Ya, it depends on how dusty things get and if people track in dirt on their tires from surrounding areas. I still dont like them though but they are better than nothing for some riders.

|

6/13/2018 5:00 PM

Yer theres a metal prefab skatepark near me in haughley. Its a all in one pipe and spine thing. Impossible to ride. Bugs me so much coz it could be so good. Only needs that textured surface and it would be fine. As if it wasnt tested before being built. This is by some legit company as well!

|

6/13/2018 6:41 PM

C win wrote:

Yer theres a metal prefab skatepark near me in haughley. Its a all in one pipe and spine thing. Impossible to ride. Bugs me so ...more

try mixing sand with paint and paint over them?

|

It’s all bmx

6/13/2018 10:36 PM

C win wrote:

Yer theres a metal prefab skatepark near me in haughley. Its a all in one pipe and spine thing. Impossible to ride. Bugs me so ...more

adamnmexican wrote:

...im sure the skaters would love that...lol wink

|

6/13/2018 10:40 PM

C win wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

X games 95 with the half pike

|

6/14/2018 9:29 AM

C win wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

...im sure the skaters would love that...lol wink

fuck em

|

It’s all bmx

6/14/2018 10:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2018 10:56 AM

C win wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

Maybe just paint, imagine falling on sandpaper. And riding over graffiti grips fine so paint is probably alright too

|

Hmmm

6/14/2018 10:44 AM

C win wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Maybe just paint, imagine falling on sandpaper. And riding over graffiti grips fine so paint is probably alright too

With you on this. Just gotta ride on top or through it.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

6/14/2018 1:17 PM

You could go clean it, or contact he city to paint it. That helped a localish park back in the day.

Otherwise you get good and landing smooth, or just don't spin.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/14/2018 4:42 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I’ve rode some damn grippy well built metal parks and some sketchy slippery ones , go to the park with a bucket and mop and ...more

Edman123 wrote:

That's because when you do that you aren't actually riding in the ramps, you are riding on a thin layer of ants and wasps that ...more

this made me spit pop out on the computer...pretty funny!!

I have never even heard of a park where the surfaces were metal...it would be like riding in playground slides...

I would prefer to ride in metal parks versus rap parks...or especially country parks...or techno parks....

trying to be funny...no?....oh well....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/14/2018 7:35 PM

Sheldon. wrote:

I was riding around the city and found a skatepark randomly, I thought I would try it out because no one was using it. I don't ...more

My local is metal and it rides fine. The ramps are ryno lined tho so they grip almost like cement

|