Metal pegs (and disasters)

Related:
Create New Tag

8/9/2019 2:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2019 3:11 PM

Are hi-ten and aluminium pegs even worth it? I have never used pegs so I have no idea, but it seems like alu would crap out fast and hi-ten seems worthless, when chromoly exists. I'm looking for metal pegs so I just need some advice.
Or should I go with plastic? How long do plastic sleeves last, when you grind mainly on rails?

Also when I tried to do some disasters, I broke 3+ ball bearing in my headset. is the headset that crap or did I do the trick terribly? The headset is a Mission Sealed Integrated (41.8 x 45), the stock that came with my Kink Whip XL 2019.

|

8/9/2019 6:56 PM

Disasters are quite hard on the headset but that only tends to happen when the headset is run loose.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/9/2019 11:40 PM

If you're going metal pegs with the intention of grinding, and doing a lot of it, chromoly all the way. If you're doing mainly stall tricks on quarters or not heavily using pegs, aluminum seems to be the park rider's choice.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

8/10/2019 9:44 AM

Grinding on rails or even well waxed ledges with angle iron, the plastic lasts a good while, especially if you rotate every once in a while.

|

8/11/2019 7:40 PM

Park ride 75 percent of the time = plastics
Street ride 50 percent of the time = steel pegs
I recommend straight aluminum pegs 0 Percent of the time unless your a flat lander.

|

8/12/2019 2:56 PM

I'd only recommend steel pegs personally, I use the friction for certain tricks but that's just me.

As for disasters it does sound like the headset was a little loose to begin with, had integrated headsets since they were first introduced and they've been amazing. I don't miss hammering in cups.

|

8/12/2019 3:03 PM

I might go with chromoly pegs then.
But I'm pretty sure my headset wasn't loose.

|

8/12/2019 10:07 PM

Possibly just a faulty unit then, these things happen unfortunately, especially in the quantity that they are made.

|

8/13/2019 3:21 PM

My experience: I had an Odyssey pro headset (looked after, 3/4 months old) and managed to break about 10 balls until I could be bothered to replace it, all other headsets I've had (from all different brands and prices) have worked flawlessly.

Like the previous reply says, some untits are just a bit crap and that's just what happens. Replace it and you should be all good

|

8/13/2019 6:08 PM

Jessentis wrote:

My experience: I had an Odyssey pro headset (looked after, 3/4 months old) and managed to break about 10 balls until I could be bothered to replace it, all other headsets I've had (from all different brands and prices) have worked flawlessly.

Like the previous reply says, some untits are just a bit crap and that's just what happens. Replace it and you should be all good

Tensioning it properly will(usually) prevent that.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/14/2019 9:29 AM

Jessentis wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Tensioning it properly will(usually) prevent that.

How tight should I go? I always go until it doesn't wiggle then a bit more to make sure it doesn't come loose. I don't go really really tight because alloy top caps are don't last long like that

|