Metal vs Plastic Pegs

Related:
Create New Tag

10/7/2013 4:57 PM

I remember when plastic pegs first came out, they seemed more like a novelty than anything, a way to get more bikes into parks, etc. Never did I imagine the way they would sweep through BMX, converting nearly every rider to their shiny plastic ways.

Yet now that it's been awhile, a lot of people have gone back to metal. Although it still seems like the majority of riders rock plastics, I'd like to know how many of you have stuck to metal and why. I know that with plastics you seemingly need a little bit of wax to get anything to slide (which is kind of annoying when metal pegs would slide that metal rail flawlessly). Then again you can't really grind a brick ledge or an aluminum rail the same way you would with metal pegs....

Thoughts?

|

10/7/2013 5:17 PM

Ive always stuck to metal and always will
I moved from mild steel and went to 6061 when i started making my own pegs but I cant see myself moving to plastic. Not that i'm against them they just wont last the abuse.

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

10/7/2013 5:17 PM

Plastic pegs have never ever touched my bike. I love the feeling of steel pegs sliding against rail/concrete. I HAVE considered buying a set of them, or a pair of metal pegs with the plastic sleeves, just for night riding though. I was out the other night around 11pm waiting for my friend to get off work & I was just playing on this ledge, and every grind sounded soooo loud. Only way I'd ever run them personally though haha

|

10/7/2013 5:19 PM

if it aint steel it aint real

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

10/7/2013 5:25 PM

My only issue is ofcourse how plastic on rail will not slide like metal pegs

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

10/7/2013 6:09 PM

Plastic/aluminum feels really buttery at park (wood/medal) and slide for days but both pretty much stick to concrete and ware fast. I ride street with a little park, so Shadows for me! And sleeves for indoor parks.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/8/2013 11:57 AM

Chrisaustin wrote:

My only issue is ofcourse how plastic on rail will not slide like metal pegs

Seems like with plastic pegs, you always need a thin layer of wax.

|