Midlife crisis, needs bigger handlebars

Related:
Create New Tag

6/28/2020 12:19 PM

I picked up a Fit Bike TRL1 2010 for £30 last week in need of some love. Stripped down, painted and with some minor additions this weekend.
I'm 43 yr old with a child seat now permanently attached to my MTB so picked this up for what little time I have to play in the woods with the dog. My first BMX since the 80's. And I LOVED our first run with it last weekend.
Frame is only 20" though and I'm 5'10". I'll stick with it just now and if it gets enough use will either keep an eye out for a bigger frame or bike.
I am wondering though how much difference taller, wider bars might make? The current bars have 8.75" rise and are narrow, about 26". Steering feels twitchy, nothing I can't live with, but will I get a lot more room with wide bars?

Cheers for any advice in advance. Photos of my new ride attached. Photo

|

6/28/2020 1:18 PM

Bigger bars will only make you stand straighter, bigger frame is the way to go.

|

6/28/2020 1:40 PM

Thanks Francky, I guess I'll just see how I get on just now, and keep an eye out for a frame.

|

6/28/2020 8:35 PM

IMHO if you switch to 9.5 and add a top load stem...you'll feel as if you have more "space". But that's just my opinion.

|

6/30/2020 5:44 AM

I’ve got a 2018 Fit TRL which has a 20.25 TT and I’m over 6ft. It came with 9” bars and I put some 9.4s as my lower back would start to get sore after a while.

Remember the TRL has a more relaxed geometry than most other bikes out there barring race bikes. 74.5 HTA compared to 75 on most other frames which will compensate a bit for the relatively short TT.

I find the frame fine but then again it’s the only bike I’ve tried (got it second hand).

I reckon get some 9s or 9.5s and ride it. If you keep at it treat yourself to a new frame and by that time you’ll know what you want.

|

6/30/2020 5:46 AM

Also you can move the bars more towards vertical. Usually they come set up in line with the forks as is the fashion.

|

6/30/2020 10:54 AM

Cheers for the advice guys.
Yeah, got my bars pretty much in line with the fork. Not had a chance to get out since refurbing it (weather has been dreadful and new episodes of Kiri & Lou needing watched with toddler) but that's helpful advice re the bars, kinda what I'm thinking.
Just need to get out and ride!

|

6/30/2020 10:59 AM

When I jumped back into bikes I got a great deal on an nice bike and figured I'd just do taller bars to make it work if I had to. I lucked out huge that my search for taller bars on craigslist led me to a guy my age who never stopped riding and knew his shit. He told me not to even waste my time or money on the bars and steered me towards a bigger frame.

Bigger frame is absolutely the way to go. I went from literally stuffing myself on a bike and trying to figure out how to feel less cramped to a bike that was a perfect fit. And after getting back into riding and realizing how much it winds the hell out of me I'm glad to remove any unnecessary obstacles!

|

6/30/2020 3:25 PM

That's my concern, should get more of an idea myself the more I ride. I've always preferred a slightly smaller frame on road/MTB than is normally recommended for my height, or at least a shorter top tube but just not used to BMX geometry so figuring it out.
Stops raining here in the North of Scotland tomorrow (fingers crossed) so here comes my window.

|

7/1/2020 1:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2020 1:07 PM

Hi man, maybe start buy flipping that frontload stem upside down and see how it feels, but bigger frame for sure is the way to go 😉

|

7/2/2020 8:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2020 8:08 AM

I'm 5-7 and 3/4" and rode a 20" TT for a while. It came with like 7" bars and I was like blaaaaaaa. Then I put some 9" bars on it and it was a lot better. When I bought my "real" BMX bike it is a 20.85" TT but I had 10" bars on it for a while. And I liked it. I went back down to 8.9" in a top load. But I'm shorter than you. Plus I feel like a 9.25 would be ideal.

There's no doubt 9.25-10" would feel different. And IMHO it would be more comfy. For me the top tube length has more to do with if you're gonna rack your knees when doing hops and such. But I'm a newb, so.... I just know not everyone does the longer top tube thing. A few people stay with shorter top tubes for flatland or just cuz they like it. But it's more rare for sure.

So is that pic post your paint job or is it a different color now?

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/2/2020 9:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2020 9:56 AM

After last riding in the early 90's and then messing around with BMX bikes while working in a shop around 2008, I could never get a feel for the short bars that were all the rage at the time. When I actually got back into BMX a few years back, 9" or above bars (w/top load stem), coupled with a decent TT size for my 6' frame made all the difference in making the bike feel more comfortable & "memorable" to me.... in that I felt more like I had jumped onto one of my old bikes I had become accustomed to. In the end, it's all personal preference. Find what makes the bike usable for you and go with it.

|

7/2/2020 11:23 AM

I hadn't actually realised HOW small my bars are until I found Fit's 2010 catalogue online.
7.75"
I've opted for some Subrosa Codes at 8.75", I should maybe have gone for something taller from what everyone's saying but figure they'll give me enough knee space, at least for now.
The plan is for this to be a long term project. Hopefully my daughter will take an interest and when she's old enough to ride want a BMX and not a horse. 😂

|

7/2/2020 12:24 PM

I'm 5'10" on a good day and just bought a Kink Titan II frame (21.25"). I've been riding a 20.25" and in a bowl I feel like I'm hanging over the front and my landings support that feeling. I'm going to ride the 21.25 frame for a while and possibly go up to 9-9.5" bars if needed.

|

7/4/2020 9:28 AM

New bars have made a big difference, especially width.
Thanks for all the replies.
Staved off the need for bigger frame at the moment. Just great to finally get out for a ride, and sure enough topped out trying to do manual. 😂
Enjoying my midlife crisis.

|

7/4/2020 9:48 AM

shupe13 wrote:

I'm 5'10" on a good day and just bought a Kink Titan II frame (21.25"). I've been riding a 20.25" and in a bowl I feel like I'm hanging over the front and my landings support that feeling. I'm going to ride the 21.25 frame for a while and possibly go up to 9-9.5" bars if needed.

UPDATE: I'm sure I'm not getting the Titan. After I paid for it, the seller said he doesn't have it. So I don't know what's up. He said the has a 21 and I said I'm ok with that. I haven't heard back yet. Emails only. No phone contact. I'm probably screwed.

|

7/4/2020 10:27 AM

shupe13 wrote:

shupe13 wrote:

UPDATE: I'm sure I'm not getting the Titan. After I paid for it, the seller said he doesn't have it. So I don't know what's up. He said the has a 21 and I said I'm ok with that. I haven't heard back yet. Emails only. No phone contact. I'm probably screwed.

Hopefully you don't get stung man. Always difficult over the internet but some folk just aren't the best at communicating.

|

7/4/2020 10:34 AM

shupe13 wrote:

Hopefully the universe was doing you the favor of giving you the 21 and the dude isn't pulling some BS. Good luck.

|

7/4/2020 10:42 AM

shupe13 wrote:

shupe13 wrote:

Slick1 wrote:

Hopefully the universe was doing you the favor of giving you the 21 and the dude isn't pulling some BS. Good luck.

Man I hope so. In all it was $495 purchase. Honestly I'm not feeling good about it. The world seems to favor the turds at the moment.

|

7/4/2020 10:43 AM

Where is the seller located?

|

7/4/2020 11:04 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Where is the seller located?

I'll pm you. Don't want to sling 💩yet. 😉

|

7/5/2020 8:40 AM

I believe we got my order worked out. 👍🏻🎉

|

7/5/2020 9:00 AM

I suggest getting shorter cranks and bigger bars longer stem and 21” or longer frame

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

7/5/2020 9:30 AM

shupe13 wrote:

Glad to hear it! Let us know how you make out!

|

7/5/2020 10:00 AM

shupe13 wrote:

Slick1 wrote:

Glad to hear it! Let us know how you make out!

It seems that there was simple miscommunication. I'm back to being stoked lol!

|

7/6/2020 6:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/6/2020 6:32 AM

We'll need pics. smile After getting back on my bike last night, I feel like I wanna go the opposite of you guys. I've been riding an 18.5" TT frame for my exercise. A kids bike I found in the garbage and I actually love the feel of it. LOL. I'm pretty sure I'd wrack my knees if I tried to do a hop on that one though. But when I get on my 20.85 it feels gigantic again cuz it's been so long. And it feels too low too. LOL. I think I just need to get used to it again.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/7/2020 8:12 AM

I went again last night and it felt more normal to me. LOL. I still think I'd like something a bit taller. But shorter than my 10"ers. They live on my garbage bike I fixed up and ride for exercise right now. LOL.

garbage bike
Photo
trick bike
Photo

|

7/27/2020 10:20 AM

Well I've rediscovered my BMX buzz, not getting a chance to get out as often as I'd like but been persevering with the 20" Frame and definitely need something longer. Been keeping an eye out locally for any but nothing coming up and watching prices online but not wanting to spend too much.
I've even started considering getting a cheap race BMX instead. I'm just doing wee jumps in the woods, figure an aluminium frame would hold out fine for all I do and it would at least be a longer more stable ride with the longer chain stay.
The dog is loving it.

|

7/28/2020 8:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2020 8:53 AM

Yeah I don't know what I was saying last post. I'm totally used to mine again I guess cuz I was off of it for a month from having a bruised rib and then a kidney stone it just felt awkward at first.

Glad you are having fun!!!! I think it's good to start with something and then figure out what you want / need after riding some. Run what you brung.

|