Might be hopping on the freecoaster train! +new wheels advice/what coaster

Related:
Create New Tag

6/11/2016 12:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2016 12:40 AM

Okay my rear wheel is just about totaled but i took the chain off (since the bearings are done for) and tryed chainless to see if i would like a freecoaster, i have tried a freecoaster before and i found it very hard and i didn't like it but this time it felt better. even though i only just half cabbed out of a fakie once out of 20 trys it still felt diffrent/good, i was getting a bit bored of bmx before my wheel messed up but im thinking a coaster might change it.riding chainless feels pretty unsteady and i havnt tryed jumping hips/box jumps yet but maybe i will get use to that after a while.
Any idea on what coaster/rims i should get? (front and back) oddy clutch is a bit too much for me and must not ordered from dans/ables/source because i live in Australia. I was looking into the bsd coaster wheelset but i hate plastic hubguards and most people seem to have a problem with them cracking.
Cheers for any replies in advance!

|

6/11/2016 2:57 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Okay my rear wheel is just about totaled but i took the chain off (since the bearings are done for) and tryed chainless to see ...more

if you pedal alot and ride your bike places i dont recommend a coaster just because if your always pedaling and doing those little back pedals to get your feet in the correct position then realising that you dont have enough speed cant be dangerous and get a bit sketchy but if your just doing tech little things and street go for it but you can never go wrong with a cassette because if your trying a new trick that needs a freecoaster you can always take you sprocket bolt out. but in the end its up to you

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

6/11/2016 3:34 AM

The salt hub looks surprisingly good for the price. I personally would be wary of using pegs with any Freecoaster, but as I'm pegless it wouldn't bother me anyway. A lot of people ride pegs with a Freecoaster so I'm probably being over cautious. There's only really a couple of designs out there and the main real difference between most is the looks (especially if you leave odyssey and profile out of the equation). I'm sure any could stand up, and spare parts are pretty easy to get too if you're worried about breaking anything.

As for rims, get the best your budget will allow. I've been looking at sun envy rims for quite a while, not the lightest, not the strongest, but also not too expensive. There's plenty of similar rims, any mid range will hold up without breaking the bank. Just make sure they have a welded seam and you're good to go

|

6/11/2016 3:49 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The salt hub looks surprisingly good for the price. I personally would be wary of using pegs with any Freecoaster, but as I'm ...more

Yeah i run pegs and im kinda hard on them thats why i need a reliable hub that i dont have to buy new parts for every other month :o The salt trapez hub is what your talking about yeah? I have heard the axle isnt heat treated. Thanks for the advice.

|

6/11/2016 3:53 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Okay my rear wheel is just about totaled but i took the chain off (since the bearings are done for) and tryed chainless to see ...more

aussiebmxer wrote:

if you pedal alot and ride your bike places i dont recommend a coaster just because if your always pedaling and doing those ...more

I do ride my bike places but only around town cruising finding street spots. I never thought about the back pedal thing tbh :o I have been preferring a street/tech style lately. I don't really like jumping box jumps and hips but i do it because the skatepark here is very park oriented :/ If i got a coaster i want one that is reliable since im saving up for a car soon. I just want to spice up bmx and learn new things, i like to think out of the box when doing tricks. I do like to get air and such at the skatepark but i really dont like the feeling of jumping box jumps, some hips are okay though. I am more street. Thats why im not sure what to do but thanks man smile

|

6/11/2016 4:37 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

I do ride my bike places but only around town cruising finding street spots. I never thought about the back pedal thing tbh :o ...more

ahhh no worries if you lived in WA i could sell you mine cheap but you dont do you?

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

6/11/2016 5:13 AM

aussiebmxer wrote:

if you pedal alot and ride your bike places i dont recommend a coaster just because if your always pedaling and doing those ...more

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

I do ride my bike places but only around town cruising finding street spots. I never thought about the back pedal thing tbh :o ...more

aussiebmxer wrote:

ahhh no worries if you lived in WA i could sell you mine cheap but you dont do you?

Nah man im in SA, what coaster do you have?

|

6/11/2016 6:37 AM

Once you get used to it, a freecoaster doesn't limit how or what you ride; you can ride around town on a coaster just fine.

The Sunday Cyclone is basicly a Clutch without external adjustment, and it's $20 cheaper, so if that's in your price range, thats what I would recommend. Otherwise, they are all more or less the same. I think the BSD has driver bushings (instead of bearings), so that seems interesting.

|

6/11/2016 7:28 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Got the Sunday freecoaster... its pretty much the same as the Ody Clutch but without the hole in the hub for slack adjustment, its pretty cheap in price too. Also running 4 pegs without any issues.

I highly recommend this hub if youre looking to get into the freecoaster game.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

6/11/2016 5:39 PM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Im riding an Eclat Cortex, still pretty new so cant comment on the durability of it, but Im a big dude, and I run pegs. No issues yet.

Ive only ever ridden an old school freewheel setup, this is the first bike Ive bought in over a decade. Its weird as hell, but doesn't take too long to get used to. Gotta basically relearn riding fakie is all.

|

6/11/2016 11:42 PM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

aussiebmxer wrote:

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Nah man im in SA, what coaster do you have?

cinema

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA