Mini Ramp dimensions

Related:
Create New Tag

4/24/2017 12:54 PM

Looking for some advice/recommendations. I am starting to level foundation for a mini ramp. I plan to build a 6 foot tall mini ramp with 8 feet of transition, 16 feet wide. I read that these dimensions are a decent size for bmx. Opinions?

What I am having trouble with is determining how much flat bottom to go with between transitions. I see a lot of plans for 8 ft of flat bottom, but I feel like that is too short and was designed for skateboarding. I almost want to say 16 ft, or even more, of flat bottom would good. Opinions?

|

4/24/2017 1:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2017 1:04 PM

12 is good. 10 can work too but I think 12 is the sweet spot.

16 is really too much unless you want to pedal on the flat bottom. which would be silly.

|

4/25/2017 6:45 AM

i agree 12-14 feet is the right range for a 6' - 8' ramp. I will offer this opinion... its better to be 2 ft too long than 2 ft too short when talking BMX.

|

4/25/2017 11:40 AM

#t=2m00s

About the same size your looking at building
|

4/25/2017 1:57 PM

"About the same height."

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/25/2017 2:18 PM

Forgot to mention, six foot tall with eight foot tranny is perfect for bmx I rode a ramp that size for years.

You can air it well and still do peg tricks easily.

Perfect size, IMO.

|

4/25/2017 6:38 PM

I would say making the flat bottom double the height is a good start.

12 feet would be about right to keep a pump going and not having to pedal each time.

And the 8 foot transition would be great.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/26/2017 7:19 AM

thanks for the feedback guys. 12 foot it is.

|

4/26/2017 7:53 PM

Personally I don't think a 16ft Flat is to long. The more you get used to the ramp the more you're going to want to boost on it which can make 16ft go pretty quick unless you're going to strictly stick to lip tricks. Add rather have a little bigger bottom and not get dizzy flowing around. I would say 14 at the minimum. Most 4ft minis you see at free parks have a 8 ft flat and I get pretty dizzy after just a few laps. But this is what I like.

|

4/27/2017 6:29 AM

alrighty...so this flat bottom is a preference thing it seems. I went into this project thinking 16ft was close to the minimum I would want.

I don't plan to stick strictly to lip tricks, I want a to do a bit of both air and lips tricks. I do understand the dizzy concept if the flat bottom is too short. I want time to setup for next transition, but I don't want it too long to the point that I am loosing speed.

|

4/27/2017 10:43 AM

I don't think you'll have a problem with losing speed. A little pump can go a long way.
Also great setup time for fake tricks.

|

4/27/2017 2:54 PM

^ how much experience do you have riding a six foot mini ramp?

|

4/27/2017 6:00 PM

pnj wrote:

^ how much experience do you have riding a six foot mini ramp?

Mike rode with me back in 2003 or so, and spent a LOT of his time in the 6-7 foot mini.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura