Mission Command or Fiction Monkey bars?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/7/2020 9:45 AM

Are either of those decent enough? I'm assuming yes for what I do. Which is not much at this point.

Dan's Comp is running a sale on these. Or their just a lot cheaper normally.... either way they seem like a good price.

When I first started looking at bikes and parts I didn't like 4pc bars. But they are starting to grown on me. So I'm leaning towards that. As long as I can peel those stickers off...…. The mission one is a clean looking bar though. And 8 bucks cheaper.

I wanted 10" rise but I don't think I want to afford that. Seems like anything over 9" is expensive...…. And the ones I'm using now are cheap and right around 9" and I'm ok with them. So I think 9" will probably be fine.... Or maybe I should just pony up and by 10"ers...… Anyone know of reasonably priced, gloss black 10" bars?

Thanks for the input.

|

1/7/2020 10:30 AM

If you really want bigger bars I think you should just by them right away instead of buying something else because it's cheaper.
I've been in your position before and bought cheaper 9" bars which were alright but still not what I really wanted and then ended up getting the 10" which I love.

I wish I just bought what I wanted in the first place and saved the money I spent on buying that thing I almost wanted.

|

1/7/2020 11:10 AM

Fuck Danscomp

|

1/7/2020 12:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/7/2020 12:08 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Fuck Danscomp

Yeah, it's sad to say, but Dan's ain't what they used to be. I wouldn't personally order from them anymore, but your call.

I currently run 10" bars, S&M Perfect 10 bars. They're a little pricier (usually) simply because there's a little more metal that goes into them, and maybe a little because it's S&M, but I can definitely recommend them.

But hey, if the bars you got right now feel good, no harm in sticking to what you know. Only thing is you'll have to adjust to the upsweep and backsweep as your current bars are pretty aggressive with the angles, but you'll be fine.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

1/7/2020 1:03 PM

I think you should save your money for a Mongoose L100 from Amazon or a used bike. The Mongoose is only 330ish USD right now. Save for a few months and treat yourself. L100

|

1/7/2020 1:16 PM

Bars are not one of the parts you want to cheap out on...

|

1/7/2020 2:31 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I think you should save your money for a Mongoose L100 from Amazon or a used bike. The Mongoose is only 330ish USD right now. Save for a few months and treat yourself. L100

Actually meant to upvote this and hit down-vote by accident. I think it’s a good idea, money-wise. A decent 10” bar is nearly 20% of the cost of the L100.

|

1/7/2020 2:59 PM

Furyus George wrote:

Actually meant to upvote this and hit down-vote by accident. I think it’s a good idea, money-wise. A decent 10” bar is nearly 20% of the cost of the L100.

On my phone at least, if I accidentally hit the down vote button, you can reverse it by hitting the up vote button..

|

1/7/2020 3:08 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

On my phone at least, if I accidentally hit the down vote button, you can reverse it by hitting the up vote button..

Awesome. Worked. Thanks for the clue.

|

1/7/2020 3:20 PM

Make sure your stem is compatible with whatever you end up going with, sometimes those dept store bikes have a smaller diameter. Bending a crappy handlebar can suck pretty good though, 4130 is the way to go.

|

1/7/2020 4:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/7/2020 4:13 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I second this motion. Mainly because that quill stem you’ve got scares the hell out of me.

|

1/7/2020 4:24 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

I second this motion. Mainly because that quill stem you’ve got scares the hell out of me.

this 100%

Bars would be the last thing I replace. The stem would be the first thing. It's not designed for a full sized man human. Even if you're not riding very hard, you are still putting more stress on it then it was intended for.

|

1/7/2020 4:34 PM

Damn! A chromoly frame at that price is not bad. How big of a difference is 9.5 to 10" rise? With your average top load stem.

|

1/7/2020 4:53 PM

quick16g wrote:

Damn! A chromoly frame at that price is not bad. How big of a difference is 9.5 to 10" rise? With your average top load stem.

About 0.5"

|

1/7/2020 6:38 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

pnj wrote:

this 100%

Bars would be the last thing I replace. The stem would be the first thing. It's not designed for a full sized man human. Even if you're not riding very hard, you are still putting more stress on it then it was intended for.

One decent hop or drop, and it’s all over.

|

1/8/2020 2:10 AM

quick16g wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

About 0.5"

I really gotta tune my math up a bit.

|

1/8/2020 8:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/8/2020 8:38 AM

I may be being gullible but the stem doesn't really concern me. About breaking. After looking at a lot of bikes online and such that style is what a lot of cheap bikes put on their bike. I've seen it on the Tony Hawk bike etc. My guess is one place is supplying a lot of the el cheapo bikes. It's a pretty big chunk of metal.

The other problem with that is it's not just a stem fix. I'd have to buy forks too. I'm pretty sure. To accommodate a proper BMX stem. Although there is a dude on FB selling an older proper BMX frame and cranks and stem for 25 bucks. I could look into that..... Then I could probably swap the forks and stem onto this frame. If they fit.....

Honestly, I'm not going to buy a whole new bike. I get what you're saying about new bars being a big chunk of the cost of a new bike. But we have so many bills to pay right now I'm not going to do it. Once those are paid I'll think about ponying up more money for a whole bike. I would rather go used and find parts that way. I've got a thing for taking neglected things and making them useful again. I do see quality parts for sale. Sometimes they're good deals. Most of the time on good bmx parts dudes are selling them practically what they paid for though. LOL. But you see good deals now and then.

However, I do think I'm going to pony up for bars I want. Just like someone mentioned earlier. Instead of settling for cheaper ones. It's my Birthday on the 18th and I think my kids are wanting to buy me something so I'll suggest they help me pay for bars and it will help defray some of the cost. Plus if I do it that way I can buy good ones locally. I know of a few different places that have good 10" bars.

The upside to this plan is I can always put them on whatever future build I have going.....

|

1/8/2020 8:33 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

pnj wrote:

this 100%

Spongeworthy wrote:

One decent hop or drop, and it’s all over.

It's been launched a few times and dropped and hopped. I just don't agree. I may eat my words eventually but the diameter is the same of any other bike, non BMX built. Adult or child. I will keep my eye on it though.

|

1/8/2020 9:24 AM

A new bike is cheaper than hospital bills. My friend had to have his face reconstructed when his toy store bike failed. Keep a close eye on that thing.

|

1/8/2020 11:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/8/2020 3:11 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

I may be being gullible but the stem doesn't really concern me. About breaking. After looking at a lot of bikes online and such that style is what a lot of cheap bikes put on their bike. I've seen it on the Tony Hawk bike etc. My guess is one place is supplying a lot of the el cheapo bikes. It's a pretty big chunk of metal.

The other problem with that is it's not just a stem fix. I'd have to buy forks too. I'm pretty sure. To accommodate a proper BMX stem. Although there is a dude on FB selling an older proper BMX frame and cranks and stem for 25 bucks. I could look into that..... Then I could probably swap the forks and stem onto this frame. If they fit.....

Honestly, I'm not going to buy a whole new bike. I get what you're saying about new bars being a big chunk of the cost of a new bike. But we have so many bills to pay right now I'm not going to do it. Once those are paid I'll think about ponying up more money for a whole bike. I would rather go used and find parts that way. I've got a thing for taking neglected things and making them useful again. I do see quality parts for sale. Sometimes they're good deals. Most of the time on good bmx parts dudes are selling them practically what they paid for though. LOL. But you see good deals now and then.

However, I do think I'm going to pony up for bars I want. Just like someone mentioned earlier. Instead of settling for cheaper ones. It's my Birthday on the 18th and I think my kids are wanting to buy me something so I'll suggest they help me pay for bars and it will help defray some of the cost. Plus if I do it that way I can buy good ones locally. I know of a few different places that have good 10" bars.

The upside to this plan is I can always put them on whatever future build I have going.....

You’ll be alright riding around, but those stems/steerer tubes simply cannot take abuse.

Also, what 4130Junkie said, make sure they’ll be compatible with the stem, because I have a feeling they’re not. I brought my old bars to a kid at my local park since his Walmart bike bars were bent only to find out they wouldn’t fit, nor would it fit any of his friends’ bikes of the same kind with that front end setup. It looks like a conventional BMX frontload, but sometimes it doesn’t fit.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

1/8/2020 2:16 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

It's been launched a few times and dropped and hopped. I just don't agree. I may eat my words eventually but the diameter is the same of any other bike, non BMX built. Adult or child. I will keep my eye on it though.

By drop, I didn’t mean dropping your bike on the ground. I meant riding off of something higher and landing flat. I wasn’t trying to rude, I just genuinely think that if you want to get into freestyle bmx then that style of stem won’t hold up, and I don’t want you to get hurt. Bills suck.

|

1/8/2020 3:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/8/2020 3:10 PM

Also, just to clarify, every bike definitely does not have the same diameter clamping area. It’d be much simpler if there was a universal measurement, but there is not.

|

1/8/2020 6:36 PM

quick16g wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

About 0.5"

quick16g wrote:

Elwood schools will do that haha

|

1/10/2020 12:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/10/2020 12:58 AM

HtownGetDown wrote:

About 0.5"

quick16g wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

That was Alexandria schools lol. Probably close enough to Elwood though. I didn't even get a chance to shred Elwood's wicked skatepark when it was there.

|

1/10/2020 9:29 AM

quick16g wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

quick16g wrote:

That was Alexandria schools lol. Probably close enough to Elwood though. I didn't even get a chance to shred Elwood's wicked skatepark when it was there.

You mean the 3 foot tall, 3 foot wide quarter, box, rail, and bank they slapped down on a rough tennis court? I actually miss it

|

1/14/2020 8:13 AM

Out of curiosity, where do you guys think the stem is most likely to fail at? I am heeding your advice and will start to try and move towards a better frame and stem. But I don't think I'm doing anything hard enough on it to matter, yet.

It would be nice if I could install a good fork and stem on this frame. But not sure if that's possible..... There are a few frames of real bmx bikes for cheap by me I might hop on......

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/522962138475267/?ref=messenger_banner

or This one has WTP cranks.....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2720844678009210/?ref=messenger_banner

|

1/15/2020 8:47 AM

Now you guys have me on a quest. I have gotten some more birthday money from people and I may use it to buy a "quality" bmx bike. I'm sort of overwhelmed by the choices on FB. There seems to be some decent choices in the 200 range.... But I'm not sure what the heck is good or what isn't. Well, I mean I know some stuff..... But....

|

1/15/2020 8:53 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Now you guys have me on a quest. I have gotten some more birthday money from people and I may use it to buy a "quality" bmx bike. I'm sort of overwhelmed by the choices on FB. There seems to be some decent choices in the 200 range.... But I'm not sure what the heck is good or what isn't. Well, I mean I know some stuff..... But....

Make a thread and post the bikes you are interested in.

|

1/15/2020 8:56 AM

I was just thinking that.....

|