Modifying Odyssey Parts

Related:
Create New Tag

6/3/2013 3:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2013 3:47 PM

I'm curious about this.. quoted from their warranty page,

"Modifying this product in a questionable manner (excluding cutting a fork steerer tube or handlebar grip area to size) will void the warranty. Modifications must be approved by Odyssey and performed by a professional bicycle mechanic."

I plan on cutting down the steerer tube on an R25. I want to know if any of you are familiar with getting modified parts approved... and what kind of bicycle mechanic would be willing to modify crap like that, Or how I would go about proving that it was done by a professional? I'd just like to know the process coming from someone who's done it?
And if having a pro auto body mechanic cut it would count?

Sounds sort of complicating to me..

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

6/3/2013 3:50 PM

i wouldnt take the chance. just buy some headset spacers for a couple bucks.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

6/3/2013 3:51 PM

Step 1: cut that motherfucker yourself
Step 2: ride forever cuz that shit will never break

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

6/3/2013 3:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2013 4:00 PM

I have more than enough spacers lying around, but that's the problem. I like my stack height how it is now(one 10mm) nice and low, with one 5mm sitting on top of my stem. The Fit fork I have now is shorter than the Odsy and I don't want a fugly pile of spacers sitting on my stem. I used to like my stems slammed and I might even go back to that.

@sick- I've got the tools to do it, but I plan to abide by the warranty rules. Everything breaks..

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

6/3/2013 4:22 PM

I think what they mean by having that stipulation in the warranty is that if you modify anything besides doing a few small tweaks, like shaving the dropouts, reheating the forks to bend them to a different offset, drilling holes to reduce weight, etc., pretty much anything that will most likely result in part failure, your warranty is fucked..

but painting parts, cutting bar grip area, cutting the steerer tube are all perfectly fine.. and you'd still be covered.. things like that, they'll tell you, won't void the warranty because they're very unlikely to result in part failure.. whereas anything that alters the original design of a part will result in failure..

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

6/3/2013 6:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2013 6:14 PM

I've warrantied odyssey bars and forks. cutting your bars more narrow or cutting a steerer tube is just fine. They warrantied my cut lumberjacks and cs2 with a cut steer tube

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

6/3/2013 6:17 PM

Yeah, what they said. Cutting will be fine. Just don't do stupid stuff
To the part, aha. Like drill holes for "weight savings" and bend them back "because they look cool that way".

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

6/3/2013 6:23 PM

tomdon wrote:

I've warrantied odyssey bars and forks. cutting your bars more narrow or cutting a steerer tube is just fine. They warrantied my cut lumberjacks and cs2 with a cut steer tube

you must be tiny cutting lumber jacks lol

but anyway shit odyssey is the best ever you can even have second hand shit and they will still warranty it no questions

ODYSSEY FOR LIFE ill never buy bars from anywhere else pretty suprized im rollin on strand forks but they feel nice

saprized suprized soprized yea fuck that word

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

6/3/2013 6:25 PM

They warrantied a 6 month old brake cable that blew out on the end. Got the replacement in a week.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

6/3/2013 6:41 PM

It's just a disclaimer, I've cut Sunday fork steerer tubes before and the one was cut at an angle cause I fucked it up cause I didn't have any clamps to hold it right, and they warrantied it no problem.

Now, if you cut it to the point where you could no longer use it, like if you cut through the threads and stripped it out or something.. then that isn't covered. Just cut it, you'll be fine. Measure twice, cut once

|

6/3/2013 6:50 PM

My biggest concern was where they wrote 'must be approved by Odsy and performed by pro mechanic', but I guess that is mostly directed toward the average person who would probably fuck it all up. Odsy is pretty laid back so I'm not worried about voiding warranty if I cut the tube myself.

Just making sure.. Thanks for the responses.

|

6/3/2013 6:54 PM

I think it's more that they just want you to have it done right. Like if a little kid tries to do it, he'll probably mess it up. If they say to get it approved by them or have a professional mechanic do it, then the kid will go to them and have it done right.

|

6/3/2013 7:13 PM

tomdon wrote:

OneEyeIlluminatiGuy wrote:

but anyway shit odyssey is the best ever you can even have second hand shit and they will still warranty it no questions

ODYSSEY FOR LIFE ill never buy bars from anywhere else pretty suprized im rollin on strand forks but they feel nice

Not tiny at all. Just hate wide bars. I grew up on 24-26" wide bars and its what feels right. And I hate how wide bars look.

|

6/3/2013 8:01 PM

tomdon wrote:

tomdon wrote:

Not tiny at all. Just hate wide bars. I grew up on 24-26" wide bars and its what feels right. And I hate how wide bars look.

narrow shoulder width maybe, idk i grew up during the end of the cut your bars short as fuck trend and it messed my wrist up for many years

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

6/3/2013 8:54 PM

tomdon wrote:

narrow shoulder width maybe, idk i grew up during the end of the cut your bars short as fuck trend and it messed my wrist up for many years

Also can't barspin with anything wider than 27 and 26 is just perfect so that's what I ride

|

6/4/2013 8:13 AM

I'm welding brake mounts to director forks I was given. I don't care if it voids the warranty, I can just buy new forks.

|

fack off

6/4/2013 1:00 PM

I know someone that's warrantied some of their shit he modded, you should be good

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "