Mongoose

Related:
Create New Tag

9/12/2017 11:29 AM

Whats the difference between the mongoose l100 and the eastern shovelhead

|

9/12/2017 11:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/12/2017 11:59 AM

The Eastern has better parts (sealed hubs, BB, Double wall front and rear rims, etc...) and has a FULL Chromo frame, fork, handlebars, cranks/spindles, etc..;

From what i've heard the Legion L100 skimps a bit in the frame department with Hi-Tens drop outs, I'd suspect that their frame isn't as gusseted (if at all) & perhaps isn't as quality as the Shovel. & I would GUESS that their parts list is lower end. But that is just a guess on the parts and the frame quality as I have never ridden or even seen one in person. Heard they are a good starter bike tho. Given the choice of the two, I'd take the Shovel all day. But that's just my opinion.

|

9/12/2017 7:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/12/2017 7:19 PM

jake121100 wrote:

Whats the difference between the mongoose l100 and the eastern shovelhead

Mongoose L100 geometry is more in line with a trails bike. Other then its name, the Shovelhead is more in line with a park/street bike.

|

9/12/2017 10:48 PM

You get what you pay for. The l100 is similar to the scan r120 we have over here. It's a good bike for the money, but a bike that cheap will never be as good as a more expensive bike.
Although mongoose are good on paper, when you look at some of the components you can tell they're not brilliant. I know the hubs on the mongoose bikes aren't great.
Just because something is chromoly doesn't mean it's good chromoly with good quality welds, or that it'll be light and strong.

|

9/12/2017 11:48 PM

Unrelated but doesn't Kevin Peraza ride a Laird frame and slaps a mongoose sticker on it ? Because mongoose makes like no parts , and if so they break ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/13/2017 7:39 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Unrelated but doesn't Kevin Peraza ride a Laird frame and slaps a mongoose sticker on it ? Because mongoose makes like no ...more

Yeah, so does Greg illingworth. Kevin peraza used to have a signature frame made by standard, but they were made in very limited numbers iirc

|

9/13/2017 8:15 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah, so does Greg illingworth. Kevin peraza used to have a signature frame made by standard, but they were made in very ...more

Ya , that's what I was wondering . So did he even ride his signature frame or was it just something with his name to sell ? Because it worked , I would love one still , especially in that purple he's running right now ! But ya I wonder how Mongoose takes it ? As long as the sticker is on , they are happy ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/13/2017 9:37 AM

Unrelated but doesn't Kevin Peraza ride a Laird frame and slaps a mongoose sticker on it ? Because mongoose makes like no ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah, so does Greg illingworth. Kevin peraza used to have a signature frame made by standard, but they were made in very ...more

Ya , that's what I was wondering . So did he even ride his signature frame or was it just something with his name to sell ? ...more

I'd guess they're cool with it, they probably pay to get them made? I mean, you can't have riders like them on the team and expect them to ride stock parts. Kids would witness them snapping stuff all the time. But mongoose probably know the industry is too saturated for it to be worth their while releasing aftermarket parts. Who would buy a mongoose frame when they can buy a frame from a more reputable (and trendy, because let's face it, that matters more than quality) brand? The pro's help them sell completes to kids that are starting out, and the profit on a bike is probably huge compared to parts. Especially when department stores are buying them in mass bulk.

I'd assume he rode his signature frame. It was made by standard so it would be better than 90% of the other aftermarket frames out there. And it was a few years ago, before laird was concentrating on building frames

|

9/13/2017 7:11 PM

All this time I thought Kevin was on his signature frame...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/13/2017 7:22 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'd guess they're cool with it, they probably pay to get them made? I mean, you can't have riders like them on the team and ...more

They should offer more aftermarket stuff (they offer a frame on their website)
http://www.mongoose.com/usa/la-familia

If I needed one, I would consider it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/13/2017 11:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 11:36 PM

That frames 2 years old, I'd be surprised if there were any in stock anywhere. But that's a bloody good price for a standard frame!

It only came in 20.5 though?! That's an odd size for an expensive frame

|