Mongoose BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

10/21/2020 2:31 PM

They have been picking up some good riders but dont really offer much as far as parts etc... whats there gameplan?

|

Husky Nation Member

10/21/2020 2:38 PM

Im also pretty sure Mike Laird custom builds frames for the Mongoose team, as i saw it on his instagram a few months back. it is really confusing.

|

10/21/2020 2:47 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

They have been picking up some good riders but dont really offer much as far as parts etc... whats there gameplan?

To sell a lot of Legions...

Also I think Peraza said they were doing a frame ?

|

10/21/2020 2:48 PM

Michael Cranston wrote:

Im also pretty sure Mike Laird custom builds frames for the Mongoose team, as i saw it on his instagram a few months back. it ...more

Thats what i saw as well. Just wonder how they support a team without any products to sell? They just picked up another team member today.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/21/2020 3:39 PM

Michael Cranston wrote:

Im also pretty sure Mike Laird custom builds frames for the Mongoose team, as i saw it on his instagram a few months back. it ...more

baglagrupie wrote:

Thats what i saw as well. Just wonder how they support a team without any products to sell? They just picked up another team ...more

You gonna buy a mongoose frame if they offer one?

|

It’s all bmx

10/21/2020 3:40 PM

Mongoose is a huge corporation. They have money to pay bmx riders so parents will buy wal mart bikes for their kids.

The team riders do not ride mongoose bikes.

This is nothing new.

|

10/21/2020 3:46 PM

So, is the Legion L100 the only complete bike of decent quality that Mongoose sells these days? If so, that is a shame. I’d like to see them make strides toward being what they were when I was a kid.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/21/2020 4:02 PM

I was thinking this exact same thing the other day. Lol.

I will say this. I heard the Legion series is a great starting point for riders. It's in the price range for newer riders to please their parents & older riders that want the nostalgia of "I had a mongoose".

Mongoose ALWAYS has an amazing team. Fuzzy, Ruben, DMC, Simon Tabron, even sponsored the Incline Club before Felt (even though Staff refused to sell their products lol). I personally wouldn't ride a Mongoose but I do think the Legion series has a market

|

10/21/2020 4:17 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

So, is the Legion L100 the only complete bike of decent quality that Mongoose sells these days? If so, that is a shame. I’d ...more

I was a kid in the 80s and remember they were not as quality as GT Haro or Redline.

|

10/21/2020 4:37 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

So, is the Legion L100 the only complete bike of decent quality that Mongoose sells these days? If so, that is a shame. I’d ...more

pnfdog wrote:

I was a kid in the 80s and remember they were not as quality as GT Haro or Redline.

That is true (my bike was a Haro), but Mongoose made the kind of bikes back then that a kid could ride anywhere without catching any grief from his buddies. If I hadn’t had my Haro, I would have wanted a GT (heck, I DID have my Haro, and I still wanted a GT to go with it). If I couldn’t have either, I would have wanted a Mongoose. In fact, that was the order in which I named them on my Christmas wish list the year I got mine.

These days it seems like a kid riding a Mongoose would have to either be good enough to shut everyone up with skill, have thick enough skin to tolerate a lot of teasing, or get good at throwing fists. Lol

|

10/21/2020 5:42 PM

I had a Redline RL20-B but still lusted for a Hutch Trickstar..

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

10/21/2020 6:18 PM

From what Peraza said on Unclicked, their goal just kinda seems to be to market lower-end, quality completes to get people into BMX. Which I mean, someone's gotta do it, and if the L100 lasts, you won't catch me being mad about it.

Also I know it's generally taboo to support companies that don't "invest in bmx," but ultimately, Mongoose has a team of pretty sick dudes (Illingworth, Peraza, Wallace, etc and now Mykel Larrin) that they're paying well. And with so many pro riders/sponsored riders struggling to live off of just the paycheck from the sport, I can't be mad if Mongoose is helping keep a roof over their riders' heads and are giving them room to breath financially.

|

10/21/2020 6:51 PM

sdpaige18 wrote:

From what Peraza said on Unclicked, their goal just kinda seems to be to market lower-end, quality completes to get people ...more

That’s well said, and is a point that I think is sometimes lost on guys who either have more money to spend, or are serious enough about BMX to invest in the top tier gear. There is certainly a place in the sport for guys who either can’t afford to drop a grand or more on a bike, and there is a place for a guy who can afford to but chooses not to because he only rides on the weekend, or doesn’t do any jumps/tricks.

This translates well into other hobbies also. My son eats, sleeps, and breathes baseball. He plays competitively, and has since he was old enough to join a league. We buy him pro level gear, and spend the cash to get him 1 on 1 training sessions with former pro level instruction. There are guys on his fall league whose parents practically have to force them to play. I certainly wouldn’t advocate buying those guys $350 bats, or paying $100 an hour for coaching them.

|

10/21/2020 7:28 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

pnfdog wrote:

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

That is true (my bike was a Haro), but Mongoose made the kind of bikes back then that a kid could ride anywhere without ...more

Haha true. I only had enough lawn money for a GT but I really wanted a Haro....

|

10/21/2020 8:20 PM

Peraza frame in the works. Goal is getting more people on bikes. Some of the ways this is accomplished is by having a dope team and putting on events. Solid brand who brings a LOT of positivity into the BMX game.

Leigh Ramsdell steers the ship. He rules, knows BMX inside and out, still rides, and is a legend himself.

|

10/21/2020 9:27 PM

Ramsdell DOES rule.

|

10/22/2020 4:31 AM

Honestly if they drop a frame at a reasonable price, I would ride it.

I've been realizing over the last 5+ years that most brands are the same, their stickers and MAYBE geometry set them apart when it comes to frames etc.

And even then, it would be fun to roll up to a new park with a Mongoose and let the locals talk smack until I fire out stuff they can't do. (I'd do that on anything honestly, it was always fun to me to let locals talk themselves up and try to bash, then fire stuff out and watch their jaws drop-even more fun as I get older).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/22/2020 4:42 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Honestly if they drop a frame at a reasonable price, I would ride it.

I've been realizing over the last 5+ years that most ...more

This is what i like.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/22/2020 4:43 AM

kylecarlson wrote:

Peraza frame in the works. Goal is getting more people on bikes. Some of the ways this is accomplished is by having a dope ...more

Yes absolutely. They do do a lot in BMX but i just wondered if they would ever have a frame or parts that would be made for more advanced riders. I would take a look at there stuff.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/22/2020 7:41 AM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

pnfdog wrote:

I disagree. Mongoose made bulletproof shit back in the day. The original Mongoose framesets set the bar before there really was a bar. Where they lost out was not maintaining their status as others jumped in, including Haro, Hutch, GT, etc...; When they started back in earnest with their racing framesets, they were high quality but by that time they were looked down upon by consumers as there were more "exotic" bikes to be had.

|

10/22/2020 7:49 AM

Fun fact, company that makes all these disposable Walmart BMX bikes has WAY WAY more networth than any other BMX brand.
Its all about money, and Mongoose aint trying to make progress in BMX industry, they just know where the money at, thats why they still be making these bikes

|

10/22/2020 8:38 AM

Syber396 wrote:

Fun fact, company that makes all these disposable Walmart BMX bikes has WAY WAY more networth than any other BMX brand.
Its ...more

Dorel Industries' net worth is around 2.1 billion USD.

But they own Cannondale, Accell Group, Ethan Allen, Merida Industry Co LTD, Imperial Oil, Suncor Energy, Giant Bikes, Telus, and Bombardier Inc.

They have many irons in many fires.

While Mongoose as a whole is probably not trying to make huge changes in BMX, Leigh Ramsdell is a Team Manager for the BMX stuff and would do everything he could to steer it in a good direction. They are paying their riders well, they have been to and sponsored (in part) some events and related media, and they make entry level to decent stuff at a good price point across most aspects of cycling. Ultimately more riders being paid well helps the industry-and could help set the bar for other brands who might be paying less.

If we want to talk about money grabbing, how about every single brand that uses Joytech catalog parts with their logo (even those "rider owned" brands that are currently HUGELY popular)? How about every brand that gets catalog frames and slaps some stickers on em? Seems like a way to make more money faster VS making your parts in house like FBM did.

At the end of the day, brands need money to do anything. Mongoose has access to that money to do things that smaller brands cannot afford to do. Let them stack a team, let that team ride frames built by Mike Laird because they will be solid, and let Mike Laird get a paycheck for it. Let them offer decent entry level stuff (on par or better than most "good" brands) to get more kids on bikes. Let parents get the nostalgia of their kid riding a Mongoose, just like they did.

If people bash each-other purely for brands, then those kids are the problem, not the kid on a Mongoose. Ride what works, and ride what you can afford. If others say anything, they can smell something. Bikes as a whole are fun.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/22/2020 11:55 AM

So how would people feel if you replaced the words mongoose with mafia then?

Way i see it is that mafia and mongoose seem to have a pretty similar business plan by pumping out as many bikes to people as they can, and mafia from what i can see are absolutely despised by the BMX scene.

|

10/22/2020 12:01 PM

Syber396 wrote:

Its ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

But they own Cannondale, Accell Group, Ethan Allen, Merida Industry Co ...more

Huge respect for braking things down!

I think, if you want to develop the industry, you have to touch it where others left it.

Be honest, ball cage bearing BMX bike should not be on the market, at least shouldn’t be advertised as “stunt” bike or so. I would never buy a starter bike like this for my kid

|

10/22/2020 12:07 PM

Probably the same as all the other big brands. Put some riders on the team and sell low end bikes. Same as hyper, free agent, dk, mafia etc.

With a lot of good companies out there I don’t think I’ll be riding mongoose parts lol.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/22/2020 12:17 PM

Syber396 wrote:

Its ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

But they own Cannondale, Accell Group, Ethan Allen, Merida Industry Co ...more

Well Said.

As much as we hate on these companies for the low end shit, the industry needs them to keep BMX alive. If everythnig was high priced people would ever get in to it.

|

Husky Nation Member