Mongoose team frames

Related:
Create New Tag

2/7/2018 5:21 PM

I’ve been out the game for a good few years and things seem to have changed (or at least that is my opinion).

Do the Mongoose team actually ride anything that was made by Mongoose? I can only find complete bikes on their website and the top one being the L100. I highly doubted the pros would use this frame and the team bike checks usually say ‘Mongoose team frame’ with no further details. The most recent bike check I can find for Ben Wallace says he rides a Laird Frame custom. So does this mean he sticks Mongoose stickers on another brands frame?

Does anybody know because it doesn’t make sense to me and do other teams do this too? blink

|

2/7/2018 5:31 PM

I do believe you are right. Not a lot of teams do this. Maybe Hyper, I think.

|

2/7/2018 5:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2018 5:36 PM

I guarantee they dont ride the mass produced legion.

I own 2 and they are by no means top quality. Great for the price but not something pros would use.

|

2/7/2018 5:48 PM

mike laird has hinted on his instagram that he makes all of the mongoose riders frames, obviously the completes have the same geo with lower quality

|

Hmmm

2/7/2018 7:00 PM

So basically if your a fan of mongoose, and you love the team, and you want to ride like them, buy a custom Laird frame lol.

|

2/7/2018 7:03 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

So basically if your a fan of mongoose, and you love the team, and you want to ride like them, buy a custom Laird frame lol.

Lol

|

2/7/2018 7:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2018 7:11 PM

a few years ago mongoose had a limited run of La Familia frames which was kevin Peraza signature frame. I wanted to get it, but it was sold out, and they only were sold on mongoose website for around 350

Photo

|

2/7/2018 7:10 PM

Lairdframe is a dude (Mike Laird) who manufacturers individual custom frames, not necessarily a company in the sense that he doesn't sponsor riders or mass produce any frames. He welds custom frames for a lot of pro riders that have sponsors, not just Mongoose riders.

Also, there isn't any pro rider that I'm aware of that rides one of their sponsor's complete bikes. Most pros ride a fully custom bike, and a lot of them don't even ride all of their own signature parts.

Last I checked (a few years back,) mongoose made an aftermarket frame and a few parts. Seems that they don't offer that anymore.

If you're looking for something better than the L100 in quality, you'll be looking at spending $600+ with a smaller, more modern BMX company. My first choice for a high-quality complete bike would be the WeThePeople Zodiac for around $650 with a discount. But if you're looking into having something the quality of what the pros ride, youre looking at easily $900-2000 in parts.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/7/2018 7:16 PM

bikect wrote:

a few years ago mongoose had a limited run of La Familia frames which was kevin Peraza signature frame. I wanted to get it, ...more

These were on clearance on a online bmx shop a while ago. Might still be. If i run into it again ill post it here.

|

2/7/2018 7:18 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Lairdframe is a dude (Mike Laird) who manufacturers individual custom frames, not necessarily a company in the sense that he ...more

The zodiac is really nice!

|

2/7/2018 7:25 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Lairdframe is a dude (Mike Laird) who manufacturers individual custom frames, not necessarily a company in the sense that he ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

The zodiac is really nice!

It's pretty decked out for how much it costs really. Everything on it is aftermarket or aftermarket-quality. Definitely better than most bikes with that price tag.

I'd personally build a custom out of clearance or slightly used parts for the same price though.

I built this Fully Custom S&M ATF a few years back for $500. Didn't cheap out on a single part either.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/7/2018 7:30 PM

Most of the guys are on frames from Laird. I know Illingworth's was made by somebody in the UK that I'm not familiar with. I'm not sure if he still is, but I think Ben Wallace is on some sort of actual Mongoose frame.

The Peraza frame was made by Standard. It came and went. Everyone I know that had one really liked it.

I think Mongoose gets it. They know their business is selling entry-level bikes more so than high-end frames. It makes sense to focus on what you're good at!

Also, Hyper guys are all on Hyper frames.

|

2/7/2018 10:54 PM

Thanks all for clearing that up for me, it’s as I thought. I applaud Mongoose for making bikes like the L100 because it is such a good bike for the money. I’ve got a 2009 Expert which was made on the same business model although back then they did make higher end frames. I think it’s a shame that they don’t offer frame only pro models but I understand that the way they do business makes them very wealthy and works for them.

|

2/7/2018 11:50 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

Most of the guys are on frames from Laird. I know Illingworth's was made by somebody in the UK that I'm not familiar with. I'm ...more

I’m sure Scotty Cranmer has a Lairdframe with Hyper stickers on it.

|

2/8/2018 2:03 AM

kylecarlson wrote:

Most of the guys are on frames from Laird. I know Illingworth's was made by somebody in the UK that I'm not familiar with. I'm ...more

I found Illngworth’s bike check from 2017 and the frame was made by Ted James in Gloucestershire England. I guess you could call it a Mongoose frame as it was made for them and Illingworth classes it as a Mongoose frame. Nothing else he rides is Mongoose though.

I think each rider in the BMX team gets a custom frame made by smaller frame manufacturers and they base the overall design on the complete bikes so they look similar (even though the geometry is probably nothing like). Suppose it’s a good way of doing pro frames as they only have to pay for a couple at a time. If the rider changes their mind it doesn’t cost a fortune to alter it.

|

2/8/2018 2:55 AM

kylecarlson wrote:

jbales wrote:

Scottys signature frame is made by Mike laird for hyper, you can buy one and Mike laird will have made it

|

Hmmm

2/8/2018 5:17 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Scottys signature frame is made by Mike laird for hyper, you can buy one and Mike laird will have made it

I don't believe this is accurate...because Laird would be doing nothing but frames and have an overwhelming list of frames to build. He may have built an individual frame for Scotty at some point, but I sincerely doubt he is welding literally hundreds of frames to keep up with demand. He's one dude doing it solo. Besides, there has been zero connection that I have seen on his instagram etc.

He does a lot more than just frames if you follow his instagram.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/8/2018 6:03 AM

mike laird builds almost every pros frame lol

|

It’s all bmx

2/8/2018 7:27 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I don't believe this is accurate...because Laird would be doing nothing but frames and have an overwhelming list of frames to ...more

If you listen 25 seconds into this video

It definitely sounds like Mike Laird made the C2 frames for Hyper.
|

2/8/2018 9:04 AM

jbales wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

I don't believe this is accurate...because Laird would be doing nothing but frames and have an overwhelming list of frames to ...more

Scotty definitely said in the video that they were all made by laird. Maybe they only did a limited run so that Mike could make his own frames still. Anyway scotty only rode his c2 for a bit and them switched to a wizard.

|

Hmmm

2/8/2018 11:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/8/2018 12:05 PM

Scotty rides a hyper wizard frame , he did have a laird built frame when the c2 was around but he’s on a hyper built wizard these days , I think Nikita Duccaroz’ frames are built by laird though , her Instagram post when she got them they came in raw with no paint job

|

2/10/2018 4:55 PM

bikect wrote:

a few years ago mongoose had a limited run of La Familia frames which was kevin Peraza signature frame. I wanted to get it, ...more

Hmm, not even a downtube gusset? unless I can't see any gussets on the top or downtube that is kinda iffy, but for sure just like all other brands, mongoose has a high end aftermarket frame line. Lots of pro riders used them at summer x games a decade ago give or take

|

2/10/2018 5:24 PM

bikect wrote:

Shredkink9 wrote:

Hmm, not even a downtube gusset? unless I can't see any gussets on the top or downtube that is kinda iffy, but for sure just ...more

Standard/rick moliterno have this thing against gussets Im not sure why.....never seen a broken standard though

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

2/10/2018 6:30 PM

bikect wrote:

Shredkink9 wrote:

Hmm, not even a downtube gusset? unless I can't see any gussets on the top or downtube that is kinda iffy, but for sure just ...more

Sunday uses "internal gussets" maybe mongoose uses them too?

I personally like how gussets look and it gives me more confidence my frame wont snap.

|

2/10/2018 6:31 PM

bikect wrote:

Shredkink9 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Sunday uses "internal gussets" maybe mongoose uses them too?

I personally like how gussets look and it gives me more ...more

It's not made by mongoose.....

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

2/11/2018 6:36 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The zodiac does look really nice. Wtp is making everyone else look bad, with a price tag like that..

|

2/11/2018 6:38 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

The zodiac does look really nice. Wtp is making everyone else look bad, with a price tag like that..

That was my thoughts too!

It's like the L100 of the $600-700 price range

|

2/12/2018 12:53 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The Zodiac Trans Brown complete looks sick AF! I see this one has the freecoaster and guards too. Aside from those, would yall say the parts on it are comparable quality to the United 2018 Supreme Parts Kit?
http://wethepeoplebmx.de/zodiac
https://unitedbikeco.com/products/2017-supreme-parts-kit

|

2/17/2018 5:48 AM

What's dis
Photo

|

2/17/2018 5:50 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

The Zodiac Trans Brown complete looks sick AF! I see this one has the freecoaster and guards too. Aside from those, would yall ...more

I don't think you could go wrong either way. I'm not sure what will actually last longer, but both options seem to be of similar quality. I'd just go with whatever color scheme/brand you like better.

|