More right foot forward riders these days?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2018 5:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 5:06 AM

Just wondering if it's a local thing, but has anybody else who's been riding for a while noticed that almost everybody seems to ride right foot forward? It used to be that almost everybody rode left foot forward and LHD wheels were pretty rare. Always assumed it was down to most people being right handed and it was the lefties that rode right foot.

|

6/13/2018 5:15 AM

I notice most people who ride street near me are lff and park is usually rff, not sure why or if it's just a coincidence.

|

Hmmm

6/13/2018 5:20 AM

I've always ridden goofy & always thought right foot forward was the norm. Of course, it's been a while since I paid attention. I suppose it's entirely plausible that kids these days are running LHD because it "looks cool" & therefore start riding that way?

|

6/13/2018 5:20 AM

Since the 90s I've always thought most ride right foot forward?

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

6/13/2018 5:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 5:31 AM

Must just be a local thing / coincidence! I notice that every time I get into a game of bike with other riders that they're all riding the opposite lines to me. Makes it a nightmare

|

6/13/2018 5:35 AM

fooby wrote:

Must just be a local thing / coincidence! I notice that every time I get into a game of bike with other riders that they're all riding the opposite lines to me. Makes it a nightmare

Personally, I find the whole "do-this-trick-oppo" thing to be stupid. If you pull a 360, it's a 360 regardless of the direction of spin. Now, if someone jumps a gap that is only accessible from one direction, that's another story. But doing a trick right foot/left foot forward is irrelevant, IMHO. If I'm playing a game of BIKE & someone does the trick I pulled but does it oppo footed, I count it.

|

6/13/2018 5:57 AM

Meh, it's about 50/50

|

6/13/2018 7:08 AM

I'm left foot forward. Right hand dominant though.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

6/13/2018 7:14 AM

I've noticed the same thing haha! In alot of edits I watch most if them seem to be right foot forward... I guess being left foot forward is like being left handed in the BMX world lol

I'm left foot forward and right handed btw if that matters lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/13/2018 7:24 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I've noticed the same thing haha! In alot of edits I watch most if them seem to be right foot forward... I guess being left foot forward is like being left handed in the BMX world lol

Me too. right-handed, left foot forward.

|

6/13/2018 7:50 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Me too. right-handed, left foot forward.

Me too

|

Hmmm

6/13/2018 9:47 AM

Does the right handed/left foot forward have anything to do with if a person skated first? Or maybe who they learned from. I know that on a skateboard, I am regular footed with the left forward and usually spin to the right. On a bike I am right foot forward and spin mostly left.

|

6/13/2018 10:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 10:46 AM

I skated with my left foot forward and ride with my right forward.

I do switch my feet for certain tricks and when I want to carve the opposite direction a bit more solidly.

|

6/13/2018 12:13 PM

I skate left foot forward, and I ride left foot forward as well.... and I spin to the right too...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/13/2018 12:50 PM

fooby wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Personally, I find the whole "do-this-trick-oppo" thing to be stupid. If you pull a 360, it's a 360 regardless of the direction of spin. Now, if someone jumps a gap that is only accessible from one direction, that's another story. But doing a trick right foot/left foot forward is irrelevant, IMHO. If I'm playing a game of BIKE & someone does the trick I pulled but does it oppo footed, I count it.

I'd disagree, given that most people find the oppo a hell of a lot harder.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/13/2018 2:13 PM

I'm left footed for football, skated right foot forward, Orthadox for fighting, left foot forward on BMX....Who knows, but i think most bmx riders are RFF

|

Ride everything

6/13/2018 8:27 PM

I kick a footy with my left, a soccer ball with my right, ride left foot forward, and do everything with my right hand. I also have noticed the change. Feels like everyone used to be left forward, but might be my imagination.

|

6/14/2018 12:12 AM

It's all just by chance, really.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

6/16/2018 9:25 PM

I ride LFF if I’m just pedaling but when doing tricks RFF it is really weird

|

If you ain't fallin you ain't trying.

6/18/2018 7:20 PM

Doesnt matter. Regs in skating and Rff in BMX, i still prefer to spin counterclockwise regardless. I mean I started riding bikes when I was a bit obsessed with skating switch, so that may have led me to start riding with my right foot foreward. However riding switch (footing, not oppo), theres less off a difference than skating switch (only foot position but hip and arm muscles still work the same).

|

6/23/2018 4:11 PM

I remember when I use to ride in South Jersey in the late 90's/early 2000's. EVERYONE rode LFF. I always felt like I was doing it wrong. Thank god LHD wheels came out. Only reason I got over it was because I saw DQYDJ and saw a lot Central/North Jersey riders my way. Plus Mirra rode RFF so I felt better. Alistair Whitton threw me off when I saw him riding LHD and right side pegs but LFF.

|

6/27/2018 4:29 AM

I'm Lff on my bike but I'm right leg dominant. A lot of people at the skatepark I go to are rff.

|

6/27/2018 7:36 AM

Helijames wrote:

Does the right handed/left foot forward have anything to do with if a person skated first? Or maybe who they learned from. I know that on a skateboard, I am regular footed with the left forward and usually spin to the right. On a bike I am right foot forward and spin mostly left.

Not really, I skated for 10 years regular footed (left foot forward, right foot back) but I ride RFF and spin to the left.

|

6/27/2018 8:21 AM

I'm LFF and was always the outcast.

|

6/28/2018 2:38 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I've always ridden goofy & always thought right foot forward was the norm. Of course, it's been a while since I paid attention. I suppose it's entirely plausible that kids these days are running LHD because it "looks cool" & therefore start riding that way?

I’m still pretty certain that right foot forward is normal,
If it isn’t, then I’m goofy footed.
Worst part is that I do everything with my right hand.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

6/28/2018 2:53 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

There is a good reason why many older riders are right foot forward. Growing up left hand drive didn’t exist. Much like the brake lever on the right, everything was dominant side of the body. Free coasters came next and some tried to switch up foot positions but it felt weird. Then came LHD (from...Haro, for the Legend Dave Mirra RIP) and you suddenly had a choice of what to do. I ride goofy now because I have ridden so long LHD feels odd. I can do it and after say 5min everything is fine but I like right and grind left. I can grind both sides it’s just a more comfortable feeling to the left.

So, that is a short history of why ?? younger riders have a choice of what to ride. Some older riders have changed over the years...some chaned back some didn’t. Anyone riding since say 1999-2002 or 2003 are mostly RHD. I am posting a link to a Ride article from 2001 just for reaction...oops double post on the link but enjoy the history!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ridebmx.com/photos/haros-left-side-drive-for-2001/%3famphtml=1

|

6/28/2018 4:31 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

There is a good reason why many older riders are right foot forward. Growing up left hand drive didn’t exist. Much like the brake lever on the right, everything was dominant side of the body. Free coasters came next and some tried to switch up foot positions but it felt weird. Then came LHD (from...Haro, for the Legend Dave Mirra RIP) and you suddenly had a choice of what to do. I ride goofy now because I have ridden so long LHD feels odd. I can do it and after say 5min everything is fine but I like right and grind left. I can grind both sides it’s just a more comfortable feeling to the left.

So, that is a short history of why ?? younger riders have a choice of what to ride. Some older riders have changed over the years...some chaned back some didn’t. Anyone riding since say 1999-2002 or 2003 are mostly RHD. I am posting a link to a Ride article from 2001 just for reaction...oops double post on the link but enjoy the history!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ridebmx.com/photos/haros-left-side-drive-for-2001/%3famphtml=1

I have riding bmx from 2000-2005 my bike was rhd was haro mirra 540 and I was left foot forward. Now getting back into bmx again after they released haro mirra pro tribute I came back to bmx few months ago and thars some good history.

|