Most popular BMX brands.. on Instagram

Related:
Create New Tag

5/17/2018 1:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2018 12:07 PM

Out of boredom, I took few minutes to make a little benchmark about BMX brands followers.
Only companies which produce 20'' freestyle (dirt/street/park) frames/completes:

1 Cult - 421K
2 Fit - 263K
3 Stranger - 260K
4 Total - 246K
5 Subrosa - 242K
6 Federal - 227K
7 Sunday - 218K
8 Fiend - 214K
9 Fly Bikes - 200K
10 Wethepeople - 180K
11 Kink - 176K
12 BSD - 161K
13 Mafia - 155K
14 Volume - 152K
15 Hyper - 149K
16 Haro - 126K
17 SE - 123K
18 S&M - 117K
19 Colony - 103K
20 United - 98K
21 Mutiny - 62K
22 FBM - 58K
23 Premium - 58K
24 DK - 47K
25 Stolen - 44K
26 Moongose - 32K
27 Tall order - 30K
28 Bonedeth - 30K
29 Eastern - 26k
30 Terrible One - 25K
31 Verde - 23K
32 Hoffman - 22K
33 Deco - 21K
34 Division - 19K
35 GT - 18K
36 Redline - 17K
37 KHE - 16K
38 Standard - 15K
39 Fiction - 13K
40 Radio - 10K
41 Deluxe - 7K
42 Cryptic - 1K

Interestingly, oldschool brands are the least popular.
Also it seems that Rich Hirsch's strategy of recruiting youtubers and not paying his team was succesful because it ranks as the 3rd most popular on IG!

|

5/17/2018 3:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2018 3:01 PM

Fuck pop culture. Most of the followers of Cult are 12. It's definitely Big Boy's doing.

|

5/17/2018 3:06 PM

jbales wrote:

Fuck pop culture. Most of the followers of Cult are 12. It's definitely Big Boy's doing.

it was quite funny the other day when in a video he stuck a cult sticker on top of treys subrosa shirt though

|

Hmmm

5/17/2018 3:11 PM

Edman123 wrote:

it was quite funny the other day when in a video he stuck a cult sticker on top of treys subrosa shirt though

Aye, it was like. And I just proper lol'd at your location.

|

5/17/2018 3:33 PM

jbales wrote:

Haha "further North"

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/17/2018 3:38 PM

Edman123 wrote:

jbales wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Haha "further North"

far enough north to confidently assume that unless someone is in scotland there is a 90% chance that they are south

|

Hmmm

5/17/2018 3:57 PM

Edman123 wrote:

far enough north to confidently assume that unless someone is in scotland there is a 90% chance that they are south

I could get to you if I go south. But I'll take me a while and I might get eaten by a polar bear.

|

5/18/2018 4:48 AM

FBM at 22 and T1 at 28. Best brands in the business.

|

5/18/2018 5:10 AM

jbales wrote:

But he couldn't bring that many followers alone. They have about 2 times more of them that the #2 !

|

5/18/2018 5:12 AM

LikeRats wrote:

Unfortunatelly they are not really active anymore and don't innovate. They have 2 signature frames, but Garrett and Ruben aren't really riding these days

|

5/18/2018 5:13 AM

The "oldschool" brands are least popular because most of them don't post their riders doing drugs and getting hammered as 1/3 of their video clips.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

5/18/2018 5:30 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

The "oldschool" brands are least popular because most of them don't post their riders doing drugs and getting hammered as 1/3 of their video clips.

I don't think this is accurate. They just don't post as much, and aren't really about social media/youtube (which I'm not opposed to).

|

5/18/2018 5:39 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I don't think this is accurate. They just don't post as much, and aren't really about social media/youtube (which I'm not opposed to).

Yea it is respectable, but I'm not sure it's good business wise.

I'd be really curious to know if this ranking reflects the sales ranking.

|

5/18/2018 7:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2018 7:23 AM

dikiz wrote:

But he couldn't bring that many followers alone. They have about 2 times more of them that the #2 !

Big Boy has just over 300k followers. While ledgends like our lord and saviour Van Homan has 60k. This makes me sad.

Cult doesn’t throw free stuff at Big Boy for nothing. He really represents.

|

5/18/2018 7:56 AM

jbales wrote:

Big Boy has just over 300k followers. While ledgends like our lord and saviour Van Homan has 60k. This makes me sad.

I didn't know such an average rider can be so popular...

Being that popular, I hope he gets more from Cult than just free stuff

|

5/18/2018 8:07 AM

dikiz wrote:

jbales wrote:

dikiz wrote:

I didn't know such an average rider can be so popular...

Being that popular, I hope he gets more from Cult than just free stuff

Such an average rider...

people get the wrong idea of his skill level because in scottys videos he is not riding the same way a pro would for an edit.
sure he isnt as good as other riders but he is a lot better than other "pros" out there as well.

|

Hmmm

5/18/2018 8:11 AM

SBC for life!

|

5/18/2018 8:14 AM

LikeRats wrote:

dikiz wrote:

Unfortunatelly they are not really active anymore and don't innovate. They have 2 signature frames, but Garrett and Ruben aren't really riding these days

FBM makes every custom bike frame out there. From BMX to Road Bikes...that seems like innovation to me.

|

5/18/2018 8:24 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Such an average rider...

people get the wrong idea of his skill level because in scottys videos he is not riding the same way a pro would for an edit.
sure he isnt as good as other riders but he is a lot better than other "pros" out there as well.

Honestly yea I don't know, I've just seen few stuff on youtube.

What I mean is that he is far from more popular say Larry Edgar (58k), Kyle Baldock (170K)... and far from being as good as they are.

|

5/18/2018 8:25 AM

dead goon wrote:

FBM makes every custom bike frame out there. From BMX to Road Bikes...that seems like innovation to me.

I was talking about T1. I don't know much about FBM stuff

|

5/18/2018 8:31 AM

dikiz wrote:

I got ya, I was just throwing it out there.

|

5/18/2018 4:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2018 4:01 PM

I'm just gonna say this...somewhere like 90% of big boys followers are probably 10-13 year old kids.

Credit where credit is due, he's progressed like crazy, but I kinda just can't stand him after a while. I followed him on IG for like 4 hours before I was done.

Also - Instagram isn't real life, this always needs to be on people's minds. It's fake. It's curated, presented, and carefully put together by people trying very hard to represent something very specifically.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/18/2018 5:16 PM

dikiz wrote:

Re-do the list showing which brands best represent the essence of freestyle BMX. I'm sure T1 and FBM would both be somewhere in the top three.

|

5/18/2018 6:14 PM

Social media is lame.

Big boy is cringe as shit.

Pretty surprised fly has 200k and federal has 227k

Another thing to consider is how many 14 year olds do you see riding t1 or standard? Instagram while a lot of people from different age groups have it a lot of the fans of those brands don't live on Instagram being the brand's themselves are older. That and their peak was in the 90s. T1 has always been t1 these brands haven't followed trends to appeal to the past or current trends

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

5/18/2018 7:15 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I'm just gonna say this...somewhere like 90% of big boys followers are probably 10-13 year old kids.

Credit where credit is due, he's progressed like crazy, but I kinda just can't stand him after a while. I followed him on IG for like 4 hours before I was done.

Also - Instagram isn't real life, this always needs to be on people's minds. It's fake. It's curated, presented, and carefully put together by people trying very hard to represent something very specifically.

that's probably true of a lot of the "popular" brands. just little kids following them cause they're the hyped up brands at the moment or something.

also big boy funny story... he was actually riding an indoor park I was at a few months ago and I didn't even know it, I look at him then at my friend and go "who's this big boy lookin ass mother fucker?" assumed he was just someone who looked like him and went about my business... later on Instagram I was scrolling down the "Following" tab and see someone liked a video that looked like the park I was just at, click it and it's fuckin big boy. not that I cared to meet him, I just thought it was funny I made that comment and it turned out to actually be him haha

|

5/18/2018 8:01 PM

I’m surprised Total ranks high up there in this street-centered age.

|

YouTube: REYN H. STUDiOS
Instagram: @bmxereyn

5/19/2018 9:05 AM

I’d be interested to see a poll on here of what people ride/preferred brands to see how that compared with the social media picture

|

If you build it, they will come

5/19/2018 9:31 AM

LS1982 wrote:

I’d be interested to see a poll on here of what people ride/preferred brands to see how that compared with the social media picture

someone should make a straw poll. I’d do it but I’m on my phone right now

|

5/19/2018 9:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2018 9:42 AM

Four wrote:

Social media is lame.

Big boy is cringe as shit.

Pretty surprised fly has 200k and federal has 227k

Another thing to consider is how many 14 year olds do you see riding t1 or standard? Instagram while a lot of people from different age groups have it a lot of the fans of those brands don't live on Instagram being the brand's themselves are older. That and their peak was in the 90s. T1 has always been t1 these brands haven't followed trends to appeal to the past or current trends

Different times, different models. When I started riding, SBC and S&M were the most respected brands. Nowadays it's T1 and FBM, but I'm not sure many guys out there buy there stuff.

Back then, there were many companies in BMX not owned by riders: Trek, Diamond Back, Huffy, Schwinn, Giant, Mosh, Specialized. They had pro teams, but they were not the "cool" brands. Now there are much more companies "riders owned". But guys like Rich Hirsch showed that it doesn't mean much being "rider owned"....
I also think that +35 companies for such a small market is too much.

|

5/19/2018 9:45 AM

readybmxer wrote:

I’m surprised Total ranks high up there in this street-centered age.

Yea I was as well. But their team is very active in contests, so they get a lot of coverage.
And Logan as 300K followers, Mark Webb is super popular too, Kyle, etc

|