Motivation for people scared of trying barspins

Related:
Create New Tag

8/27/2018 2:47 AM

This post is for people who really want to learn barspins but that, like me, are scared to throw the bars. I know a lot of people want to learn this and I want to give tips from someone who just landed one.

After a year and one month of riding BMX, I finally landed my first barspin (flyout) yesterday.

I wanted to learn barspins for months. About, 3 months into my BMX journey, I learnt chicken barspins, and thought I would be able to land a flyout barspin in a month or so. It actually took me 10 months.

And the main reason why it took me this long is simple: fear. I was scared to death of throwing the bars while in the air. Even while doing a small bunny hop, I couldn't let go of the bars. I became extremely comfortable with chicken barspins, but still could not convince myselft that I could throw it on a flyout.

Yesterday, a really good rider convinced me to try it, that I really could do it. So I did. I did a flyout and threw the bars really badly, nowhere near close to a barspin, but I actually threw the bars. This was liberating. This simple first try freed me from this fear, and I then proceeded to throw barspins for about an hour before I finally landed one.

I'll give you a quick summary of the tips which I think really helped me convince me to throw them and that helped me land them relatively quickly once I did.

1) The first attempt is mentally the hardest. I've had tricks where one try didn't really free me (like tuck no handers), and I was still scared to do more trys after it. Not with barspins, Throwing one got rid of my fear of barspins.

2) Doing a lot of chicken barspins really helped me to land real barspins in an hour after my first attempt, because I was really comfortable with the throwing motion. However, I urge you to learn chicken barspins on your pedals, like I did. Don't use pegs, don't switch up your foot stance, etc. They are harder but this will also get you used to keep your feet on the pedals while throwing, which I had no problem with in my barspin attempts, contrary to most people it seems.

3) Bunny hop barspins on flat ground may seem less scary at first, but I would actually consider them scarier. You have to do everything very quickly and with a lot of force, whereas on flyouts you have time to bail. Not to mention that hop barspins are way way harder.

4) Flyout barspins are honestly not hard once you convince yourself to try it once. This alone should motivate you to do this first damn try!


Sorry for the wall of text, but landing my first barspin only an hour after my first attempt, and months after the first time I wanted to try them, really got me so hyped that I have to talk about it.
|

8/27/2018 4:04 AM

Nice job! I’ve gotta get out and have a crack now!

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

8/27/2018 4:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 4:08 AM

Damn I need to get to a flyout to try a couple bars. Haven't found a nice enough street flyout, might have to go to the local skatepark even tho it's full of scooter kids...

And congrats on the first barspin OP

|

8/27/2018 5:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 5:06 AM

Thanks for the motivation and congrats on your first barspins! I can catch the bars, land one footed and ride away every time but no matter how much I work myself up to focus on keeping both feet on I either don't throw them or just let go of the bike.

It's great to know that once you fully commit once it's easy to commit over and over. Maybe I need to drink a few beers, pad up and then try grin

|

8/27/2018 5:11 AM

fooby wrote:

Thanks for the motivation and congrats on your first barspins! I can catch the bars, land one footed and ride away every time but no matter how much I work myself up to focus on keeping both feet on I either don't throw them or just let go of the bike.

It's great to know that once you fully commit once it's easy to commit over and over. Maybe I need to drink a few beers, pad up and then try grin

In my hour of throwing barspins, I have landed multiple times both feet on the pedals while not catching the bars properly. Let me tell you this: I was never even close to hurting myself. You have a lot of time to jump off the pedals after landing. So really try to focus on keeping your feet on, nothing bad can happen!

|

8/27/2018 5:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 5:16 AM

fooby wrote:

Thanks for the motivation and congrats on your first barspins! I can catch the bars, land one footed and ride away every time but no matter how much I work myself up to focus on keeping both feet on I either don't throw them or just let go of the bike.

It's great to know that once you fully commit once it's easy to commit over and over. Maybe I need to drink a few beers, pad up and then try grin

Fatalize wrote:

In my hour of throwing barspins, I have landed multiple times both feet on the pedals while not catching the bars properly. Let me tell you this: I was never even close to hurting myself. You have a lot of time to jump off the pedals after landing. So really try to focus on keeping your feet on, nothing bad can happen!

Thanks so much! I think my fear comes from my early attempts where I missed the bars and fell right onto my pedals or pegs. Stings like a bitch but I literally have no excuses with pads, a 21" top tube and 27" bars. I KNOW I can land them as I catch them every single time.

You see these videos of people learning who have no idea how to throw and catch but if they can commit they seem to get them really fast.

Next time I get a ride in I'll keep your post in my head and report back grin

|

8/27/2018 5:37 AM

fooby wrote:

Thanks so much! I think my fear comes from my early attempts where I missed the bars and fell right onto my pedals or pegs. Stings like a bitch but I literally have no excuses with pads, a 21" top tube and 27" bars. I KNOW I can land them as I catch them every single time.

You see these videos of people learning who have no idea how to throw and catch but if they can commit they seem to get them really fast.

Next time I get a ride in I'll keep your post in my head and report back grin

Dude I saw the clip of you slinging bars a while back, yours are hella dialed and you'll probably land one within 5 tries if you get the commitment theregrin

|

8/27/2018 5:42 AM

Nope I still refuse to touch them lol

|





8/27/2018 5:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 5:52 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Nope I still refuse to touch them lol

You have more chance to fuck yourself up doing a footplant on the coping like in your profile pic than doing a flyout barspin grin

|

8/27/2018 5:58 AM

Kinda want to try hop bars when i get back on the bike but im not sure?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/27/2018 6:38 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Kinda want to try hop bars when i get back on the bike but im not sure?

But... But,,












You're more of a tailwhip guy.

|

8/27/2018 6:48 AM

Fatalize wrote:

In my hour of throwing barspins, I have landed multiple times both feet on the pedals while not catching the bars properly. Let me tell you this: I was never even close to hurting myself. You have a lot of time to jump off the pedals after landing. So really try to focus on keeping your feet on, nothing bad can happen!

fooby wrote:

Thanks so much! I think my fear comes from my early attempts where I missed the bars and fell right onto my pedals or pegs. Stings like a bitch but I literally have no excuses with pads, a 21" top tube and 27" bars. I KNOW I can land them as I catch them every single time.

You see these videos of people learning who have no idea how to throw and catch but if they can commit they seem to get them really fast.

Next time I get a ride in I'll keep your post in my head and report back grin

Rabbe wrote:

Dude I saw the clip of you slinging bars a while back, yours are hella dialed and you'll probably land one within 5 tries if you get the commitment theregrin

Haha I hope so! They're a lot better now. One more tip I was given that helped tons was to keep your catching hand by your waist, since then I've been catching every time as your hand is always in the right place ready to catch as against trying to grab them from above which is pretty inconsistent.

|

8/27/2018 6:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 6:52 AM

jbales wrote:

But... But,,












You're more of a tailwhip guy.

I said kindasilly

I hate throwing bars though, i always hit my knees when i used to try them...

Im going to get hop whips before hop bars. Im going to work on whips when im back on the bike....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/27/2018 7:20 AM

Fatalize wrote:

In my hour of throwing barspins, I have landed multiple times both feet on the pedals while not catching the bars properly. Let me tell you this: I was never even close to hurting myself. You have a lot of time to jump off the pedals after landing. So really try to focus on keeping your feet on, nothing bad can happen!

I did tear my ACL from my femur when I landed no handed and kept both feet on. Just saying shit can go bad. I think I was too relaxed and overthinking it or something?

|

8/27/2018 11:12 AM

Awesome man! I've been working on my hop bars. Definitely less scary when you just say fuck it and give it a good try.

|

8/27/2018 11:36 AM

Im gonna try flyout x-ups next time I head to a foam pit. If those go well I will attempt some flyout barspins into foam...if those go well...who knows smile

|

8/27/2018 12:04 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I said kindasilly

I hate throwing bars though, i always hit my knees when i used to try them...

Im going to get hop whips before hop bars. Im going to work on whips when im back on the bike....

Best of luck. Dont give up on them hop whips are definitely one of the hardest tricks to do and learn. Even myself I cant really land them now and I've done easily over 100 hop whips and into banks and off curbs and stuff. Went through 3 seats or so with whips lol. Barspins are a lot easier for sure. I can do them with wide bars but definitely dont like it as much as some 26 or 27 wides.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/27/2018 12:38 PM

jbales wrote:

But... But,,












You're more of a tailwhip guy.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I said kindasilly

I hate throwing bars though, i always hit my knees when i used to try them...

Im going to get hop whips before hop bars. Im going to work on whips when im back on the bike....

Four wrote:

Best of luck. Dont give up on them hop whips are definitely one of the hardest tricks to do and learn. Even myself I cant really land them now and I've done easily over 100 hop whips and into banks and off curbs and stuff. Went through 3 seats or so with whips lol. Barspins are a lot easier for sure. I can do them with wide bars but definitely dont like it as much as some 26 or 27 wides.

I'm not giving up on them thats for sure... they're my dream trick. I really want to learn them!!!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/27/2018 6:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 6:42 PM

Fatalize wrote:

You have more chance to fuck yourself up doing a footplant on the coping like in your profile pic than doing a flyout barspin grin

Honestly I'm way better at playing a violin than riding so I'd rather keep my fingers unjammed. But you're right, missing a footplant SUCKS.

|





8/27/2018 10:42 PM

Fakie barspins on banks are the easiest , hop bars flat aren't too bad , flyout is harder because your body and bike are adjusting to being in the air while when you hop it's almost instant

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/28/2018 9:33 AM

i hit my dick or my knees everytime so i dont do them

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

8/28/2018 11:22 AM

I cut all my bars to like 25-26.5 lol my knees are bad enough without hitting them

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/28/2018 11:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2018 11:37 AM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

i hit my dick or my knees everytime so i dont do them

Accidentally reading that as "I hit my dick on my knees everytime" made it sound like a very different problem

|

8/28/2018 11:51 AM

Rabbe wrote:

Accidentally reading that as "I hit my dick on my knees everytime" made it sound like a very different problem

well im not saying that doesnt happen wink

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

8/28/2018 12:32 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

i hit my dick or my knees everytime so i dont do them

Rabbe wrote:

Accidentally reading that as "I hit my dick on my knees everytime" made it sound like a very different problem

You mean, you don't? wassat

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/28/2018 12:48 PM

Thanks man this is motivation to learn them myself. I am terrified of letting the bars go!

|

8/28/2018 2:50 PM

i wish that video of a grandma telling you to "just huck the son of bitch, thats how you barspin" was still on YouTube

|

It’s all bmx