Muscle or technique

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2018 2:28 AM

I was watching Dillon Lloyds new instagram clip and was wondering if muscle or technique brings you further in bmx? Obviously the mixture of these 2 makes you a beast, what yall think?

|

3/30/2018 2:38 AM

Technique is always better than Muscle, no matter what your doing.

|

3/30/2018 2:39 AM

Technique. I've seen kids half my size do crazier shit than I've ever been able to...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/30/2018 3:36 AM

Yeah technique every time! If your lifting weights with a bad technique you won't be able to lift as heavy and for as many reps. The same applies to riding a good technique makes things easier and in turn your body adapts to it. My cardios quite good but when I ride I'm out of breath after a couple lines. If you keep riding your body adapts to it building fitness and strength around the muscles you use to ride. That's not say that being stronger won't help, building strength and fitness off your bike will certainly make things easier when you do ride.

|

3/30/2018 4:33 AM

Technique. But repetitiveness will build the muscles you're using, and develop muscle memory, making something easier the more you do it

|

3/30/2018 5:06 AM

The number one thing that will take you further in BMX is large testicles.

|

3/30/2018 5:07 AM

Gonna say technique. Muscle just makes things take less energy.

If you look at one of Broc Raifords most recent instagram clips, the dude pulls a 3’ hop to wall ride out of a smith grind. It’s mindblowing. Broc is a strong dude I’m sure but he’s not a gym rat like Dillon.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/30/2018 5:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2018 5:31 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Technique. But repetitiveness will build the muscles you're using, and develop muscle memory, making something easier the more you do it

This.

This guy Derek Nelson is not a huge dude-but for a while was on a homemade bike that cleared 50 LBS and hopping it bar height.

https://bmxunion.com/daily/inside-the-mind-and-diy-skatepark-of-derek-nelson/

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/30/2018 5:31 AM

Technique for sure....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/30/2018 5:32 AM

Let's not forget geometry, and natural ability. Some things are just really hard or easy for some people. Bikes weigh a lot less now, and the geometry makes a lot of things easier

|

3/30/2018 6:01 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Let's not forget geometry, and natural ability. Some things are just really hard or easy for some people. Bikes weigh a lot less now, and the geometry makes a lot of things easier

And large testicles.

|

3/30/2018 6:23 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

jbales wrote:

And large testicles.

Does it matter if the left one's bigger? wassat

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/30/2018 6:37 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Nah it’s just the minerals that count.

|

3/30/2018 6:48 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

This.

This guy Derek Nelson is not a huge dude-but for a while was on a homemade bike that cleared 50 LBS and hopping it bar height.

https://bmxunion.com/daily/inside-the-mind-and-diy-skatepark-of-derek-nelson/

"50 LBS"
That's any midschool complete lmao

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/30/2018 6:54 AM

jbales wrote:

Will except bar spins... If they are to large your bars get caught....

|

3/30/2018 6:57 AM

jbales wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Common problem apparently, happens to me all the time...

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/30/2018 7:09 AM

Technique, us BMX riders have basically adapted to our very own special way of using physics! We've trained our muscles to use physics in a VERY SPECIFIC WAY to throw us and this mechanical rotational device around and off the ground. Technique is everything. BUT the more muscle you have the more power you have to exert on the bike, and so It seems a strong upper body/arms is a good way to increase hop height.

|

3/30/2018 7:18 AM

Yeah technique is more important but being strong help a lot to master the bike with more ease and so, ride better and longer.
And when you end up crashing it's always nice to not being made out of paper.

|

3/30/2018 1:08 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

jbales wrote:

And large testicles.

p1p1092 wrote:

Abnormal large testicles, especially if one is larger than the other, should be checked by a doctor!

laughing

|

3/30/2018 2:02 PM

I’m going to say muscle to sand against the grain
, they’re both good , but technique is a dime a dozen , if there’s a skatepark with guys with technique and guys who muscle it and make it work the guys who are muscling their bikes to do what they want are going to stand out more to me , guys like Dave Osato and Tobias Wicke

|

3/30/2018 4:11 PM

jbales wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

My left hangs lower...if you investigate you will find out many of you have the same setup.

|

3/30/2018 4:13 PM

Phunny93 wrote:

Technique, us BMX riders have basically adapted to our very own special way of using physics! We've trained our muscles to use physics in a VERY SPECIFIC WAY to throw us and this mechanical rotational device around and off the ground. Technique is everything. BUT the more muscle you have the more power you have to exert on the bike, and so It seems a strong upper body/arms is a good way to increase hop height.

I was under the assumption your legs would play an equal role of importance in regards to hop height.

|

3/30/2018 9:55 PM

Muscle.

You can beat up anyone better than you.

|

3/31/2018 5:42 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Muscle.

You can beat up anyone better than you.

grin
|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

3/31/2018 11:42 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I’m going to say muscle to sand against the grain
, they’re both good , but technique is a dime a dozen , if there’s a skatepark with guys with technique and guys who muscle it and make it work the guys who are muscling their bikes to do what they want are going to stand out more to me , guys like Dave Osato and Tobias Wicke

Although, wouldn't you say Wicke has more technique than muscle? I always thought his riding style reflected that of technical skill.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

3/31/2018 8:45 PM

Watch road fools with Tobias in it , it might be 12 , dudes a powerhouse

|

4/1/2018 1:29 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Skinny guys can do lip tricks too though. Yeah it probably helps him hold position and balance longer. But he doesn't force the bike to do what he wants it to

|

4/1/2018 3:03 AM

eskimojay wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Skinny guys can do lip tricks too though. Yeah it probably helps him hold position and balance longer. But he doesn't force the bike to do what he wants it to

A classic example I'm thinking of is Tom Dugan. Guy's as skinny as a toothpick and sends it more than anyone with 50 times his muscle volume.

Big testicles really do help too.

Heck. It's a combination of all three, and to make a 100% "perfect" rider, we all have our different doses of testicles, muscle, and technique. It's what makes a rider's riding style.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

4/1/2018 7:28 AM

Skylight wrote:

A classic example I'm thinking of is Tom Dugan. Guy's as skinny as a toothpick and sends it more than anyone with 50 times his muscle volume.

Big testicles really do help too.

Heck. It's a combination of all three, and to make a 100% "perfect" rider, we all have our different doses of testicles, muscle, and technique. It's what makes a rider's riding style.

This is a great point. Dugan literally looks like he would break in half if he fell but he just rips so hard and always does huge shit.

Just watching the Vans finals now, Lloyd, for as big as he is, simply doesn’t have the finesse someone like Smillie, Kerley, or even Matt Ray has. Don’t get me wrong, Lloyd is a beast, but I don’t think you can rely on one thing or another like muscle or technique. To really set yourself apart you need so many different things.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.