My 2.5 piece cranks are separating. Didn't think this was possible.

Related:
Create New Tag

5/23/2017 12:06 AM

My bike has Éclat Spire cranks. Today I noticed the end of the spindle poking out. I'm surprised cause I thought the crank and spindle were one inseparable piece with this type of crank. Has this happened to anyone else?

Photo

|

5/23/2017 12:12 AM

Have you tried tightening the bolt on the other arm? It could be that they've been run loose, allowing everything to move about a bit

|

5/23/2017 12:27 AM

Contact Éclat and I'm sure they'll help you out .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/23/2017 12:48 AM

Thanks for the fast replies guys. I tried tightening the bolt on the other side. It was already pretty tight. So I hit the spindle poking out with a hammer a few times and it seems to have pushed it back in. Its getting too dark here at the moment, but I'll investigate further tomorrow.

|

5/23/2017 1:52 AM

that's normal, 2.5 piece cranks are basically just 3 piece cranks, only the spindle is meant to go through one of the crank arms first, which eliminates the need of a bolt on that side and prevents the arm from falling off as well. It must have worked it's way out from being run loose at some point, or maybe never being fully pressed into the arm to begin with.

|

5/23/2017 5:41 AM

Chances are you're a spacer or two short so the bolt is bottoming out without being tight

|

5/23/2017 9:23 AM

normal. as stated they're actually 3 piece cranks.

I hate the term '2.5' as they are actually just 3 piece cranks.

|

5/23/2017 9:25 AM

The reason why they are called 2 and a half piece cranks is because one side is pressed onto the spindle. Could back out from there but who knows. Never seen it happen

|

5/23/2017 1:10 PM

they are pressed in but they are still just 3 piece cranks. which is why they can come apart.

|

5/24/2017 8:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/24/2017 8:45 PM

Someone needs to start putting threads on the "connected" side just to solve issues like this.

If you can get the spindle flush and everything setup right. You can always have someone put a thin weld around the pressed side. Seeing you have no bolt or threads on that side. And no question contact ECLAT ASAP

|

5/25/2017 5:16 PM

jb weld or bondo. my profiles are 1 piece cranks. ill worry about it when the occasion arises

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

5/25/2017 5:44 PM

Spenlard wrote:

jb weld or bondo. my profiles are 1 piece cranks. ill worry about it when the occasion arises

Bondo? Really? Wow. Must've changed their formula...

|

5/25/2017 6:44 PM

Spenlard wrote:

Wow that does not sound like good advice at all. My only question is why? Seems a little extreme.

|

5/28/2017 12:11 AM

I got this sorted out yesterday. As steve suggested I had use wider spacers. Then once I tightened it the spindle was pulled back in. The cranks are now a bit uneven (the gap between the crank arm and chainstay is wider on the non drive side) but I don't think it matters.

I still don't understand why they don't just weld it at the factory, but at least I've got it fixed now.

|

5/28/2017 1:52 AM

Beamex wrote:

I got this sorted out yesterday. As steve suggested I had use wider spacers. Then once I tightened it the spindle was pulled ...more

I guess having it splined is a simpler design. So it's probably cheaper and easier to manufacture.
With the correct spacing there's no issues with it.
From the look of your pic there's no spacers on the drive side, so you could even the spacing out by putting a spacer there instead

|