My Mongoose Legion L100 Video Review!

Related:
Create New Tag

10/5/2017 10:08 AM

I received it in good condition.

Some things I didnt mention in the video:

Tires were nearly impossible to get off these rims.

The top tube is 21" I confirmed it.

The chain has no master link. Chain breaker is required.

Enjoy!
|

10/5/2017 10:54 AM

Sweet bro! Good review I liked it alot and it was very detailed... I would love to get one of these bikes and just absolutely thrash it and see how well it holds upgrin

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/5/2017 11:00 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Sweet bro! Good review I liked it alot and it was very detailed... I would love to get one of these bikes and just absolutely ...more

I would like to as well...unfortunately I already built up the other parts for my sons bike.

Heres what the bikes look like. The chrome one is for him and the black is now my backup.Photo

Photo

Gonna do some bike checks in a couple mins.

|

10/5/2017 11:00 AM

Nice review.

|

10/5/2017 11:40 AM

Nice! Thanks for the in-depth review. Great to have someone actually take the time to look at things like the welds, etc... in a review & analyze verbiage from the manufacturer to evaluate parts (the heat-treating of the "full-chromo" cranks comes to mind) so that people who might not otherwise give it a thought can evaluate exactly WHY something might be cheaper in price than other, better made products.

Now, I want to maybe do one on my Shovel!

|

10/5/2017 11:43 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Nice! Thanks for the in-depth review. Great to have someone actually take the time to look at things like the welds, etc... in ...more

Id love to see it! I heard the trans gold colorway looks really good on that bike!

|

10/5/2017 11:49 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Id love to see it! I heard the trans gold colorway looks really good on that bike!

I heard that too!!!

|

10/5/2017 12:17 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Nice! Thanks for the in-depth review. Great to have someone actually take the time to look at things like the welds, etc... in ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I heard that too!!!

Seriously though, I would definitely check out your review!

|

10/5/2017 1:28 PM

Pretty awesome review! If only we'd have a review like this for everything we'd like to buy grin

One question thought, that knee brace on your left leg, what is it called and does it work?

|

10/5/2017 1:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2017 1:39 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Pretty awesome review! If only we'd have a review like this for everything we'd like to buy grin

One question thought, that knee ...more

Its for jumpers knee aka tendonitus of the knee. It is made by Mueller its the maximum support model. You can pick one up at walgreens. I wear it all day, even sleep with it on sometimes.

Mueller Max Knee Strap - OSFM
https://www.protherapysupplies.com/Mueller-Max-Knee-Strap-OSFM?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsNfOBRCWARIsAGITapbYehxbXjrOS3LZZ5LL8Up03oRxiiGxWZOO6EEZdXYaeOThsg4tqiYaAr9AEALw_wcB&source=googleps

It helps i feel, if nothing else it kind of makes you a bit more aware of your injury so you treat it right.

|

10/5/2017 1:55 PM

Good review, nice to see it up close and get to see it from unboxing.

|

10/5/2017 5:13 PM

Yesterday they increased the price a few bucks & appears must have amazon prime to even order the bike...

|

10/5/2017 5:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2017 5:19 PM

Slater wrote:

Yesterday they increased the price a few bucks & appears must have amazon prime to even order the bike...

Which one the burgandy model?

Ya the prices go up and down based on prices they are selling for other places I think.

You can sign up for like 1 or 3 months free and cancel before the last day.

I accidentally waited too long and it charged me 100 dollars for the year without me noticing till it was too late...even after that though they refunded my 100 dollars and gave me an option to just pay for the month. Got my refund promptly.

Worth a try for anybody locked out of getting one.

|

10/5/2017 6:01 PM

the black one, "exclusively for Prime members."
atleast, this week...

|

10/5/2017 6:06 PM

Ya it changes a lot just like a week ago the price was going up and down a few dollars here and there.

The user on ebay for 300 dollars will go down to 250 he said, free shipping. 2018 model he already agreed to that price and i asked if I could post it here for that.

|

10/5/2017 6:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2017 6:08 PM

Slater wrote:

the black one, "exclusively for Prime members."
atleast, this week...

This is the one. Tell him i sent you if you make any offers lol.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Mongoose-Legion-L100-20-Wheel-Freestyle-Bike-Maroon-One-Size-bmx-/132345500148?hash=item1ed06811f4%3Ag%3AlYcAAOSwGh5ZxFj1&_trkparms=pageci%253Aba2cbc88-aa32-11e7-931c-74dbd18092b0%257Cparentrq%253Aef391ac815e0a9c1147f7355fffebf72%257Ciid%253A1

|

10/26/2017 7:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2017 7:51 PM

Update: Oct/26/17

Problems experienced:

Cranks hard to keep tight to spindle- Solution: large wrench with 6mm allen socket+ loctite

Rear wheel has developed a wobble- have yet to dissasemble and fix. Will update when I soon address the issue.

There are some things I changed just for the sake of it. I have switched out the complete front wheel to a sealed cartridge hub wheel. The wheel was fine, just sold it because I didnt want to deal with the cone adjustment in the future.

I have switched out the stock sprocket to an Odyssey fang. No problems occurred, I just did not like the original poorly machined part.

Sold Tires, nothing wrong with them, just didnt like the grey color.

Replaced z410 chain because I wanted my son to have a more trustworthy odyssey Hollow Keychain chain.

Frame and brakes are currently on my backup bike and I ride it to work everyday that I can. Feels great!

The parts that really seem quality are:

Frame
bars
U-brake arms+ cable(not the lever)
seat
grips
Complete rear wheel
rims- front and back
chain
bar ends
headset
bottom bracket
Spindle
tires
wheel hardware

Questionable but keep-able parts:

Crank arms
forks
front hub
Seat clamp
brake hand lever
sprocket
Crank hardware
Stem hardware
Seat post

The parts mentioned above would probably be fine for a while but might be a potential problem if you ride hard on them.

Parts that SHOULD be changed if you plan on doing high-impact tricks:

1. Pedals
2. Stem (for safety)

For the price of an extremely cheap Chromoly frame, you can get an ENTIRE bike that is more than rideable, its good! Some parts are not so awesome, as I mentioned, but usable.

The frame provides a solid base to install aftermarket parts; 100% up-to-date, spec-wise.

I still am extremely happy with the purchase and still whole-heartedly recommend it for both new riders and experienced riders looking for a backup for their main.

|

10/27/2017 4:42 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Problems experienced:

Cranks hard to keep tight to spindle- Solution: large wrench with 6mm allen socket+ ...more

Comparatively, how would you say it's is a worthy purchase compared to the (seemingly) growing segment of $399 full chromo bikes being offered? Basically for $290, is it worth buying & upgrading, or do you feel it'd be better for a beginner to save a bit more & get a Bama, Fit VHS, or Shovel (in Trans Gold, of course), etc....?

|

10/27/2017 10:21 AM

The dip in the rim is a wear line. Once the rim is worn so much from braking that you can't see the line, you need a new rim.

I'm curious about the internals of the rear wheel. The scan r120 (the UK equivalent to the L100) is really odd. It has 2 cartridge bearings in the hub, but the axle isn't shouldered. Instead, it has a tube spacer, like you'd get on a bb. Can't remember the bearing set up in the driver though.

|

10/27/2017 10:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/3/2017 8:30 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Problems experienced:

Cranks hard to keep tight to spindle- Solution: large wrench with 6mm allen socket+ ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Comparatively, how would you say it's is a worthy purchase compared to the (seemingly) growing segment of $399 full chromo ...more

If you can wait and get the extra cash, bypass the mongoose. This is geared to the Absolute newest riders and someone that wants a loaner/beater/backup.

Also worth mentioning, the amazon prime price is 230 dollars and 250 out the door.

10 dollars for the month to month subscription will save you money. Cancel after month runs out.

|

10/27/2017 7:52 PM

definitely good review. Very easy to watch, and your style of explaining things is very natural and calm. You should do reviews of other stuff as well!!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/3/2017 8:28 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

The dip in the rim is a wear line. Once the rim is worn so much from braking that you can't see the line, you need a new rim. ...more

Well here you go!

|

11/3/2017 8:32 PM

Rear wheel has been easily fixed.

The entire rear wheel assembly is top notch for this price. It easily matches and surpasses the quality of some 100+ dollar aftermarket wheels.

Very impressed.

Heres a short video showing the internals.

|

11/3/2017 8:34 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

definitely good review. Very easy to watch, and your style of explaining things is very natural and calm. You should do ...more

Thank you very much! Perhaps Ill start reviewing individual bmx components since I have purchased a fair share.

|