My New Pedal Design

Related:
Create New Tag

11/11/2013 2:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2013 4:17 PM

Some of you might remember my other pedal design.. this one ..I came up with another. This ones completely different though.

So the main idea of this design is that the pins rotate along with your feet whenever you make an adjustment.. rather than not moving at all and tearing up some of the grip under your shoes in the process. Heres a rough sketch of it:
Photo
The inspiration for it comes from this lego piece. My little bro had them laying around and it just dawned on me. For those of you not familiar with legos(shame on you), pretty much the grey center of the lego spins 360. It's a perfect mini example of this entire design. how funny is that? lol ...Thoughts?
Photo

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

11/11/2013 3:00 PM

csb that's your lego :D

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

11/11/2013 3:03 PM

This could create a whole new set of tricks if produced.

|

11/11/2013 3:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2013 3:05 PM

@mikel
Fuck yeah it was. I grew up on those things. Brothers' lucky to inherit my fatass collection lol.

@biggy
Ya think? I don't, but I'd be more comfortable on them if they were built properly.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

11/11/2013 3:22 PM

BMXism wrote:

@mikel
Fuck yeah it was. I grew up on those things. Brothers' lucky to inherit my fatass collection lol.

@biggy
Ya think? I don't, but I'd be more comfortable on them if they were built properly.

Hard techy tricks that would be used in flatland I bet. If they were produced, I bet your main buyers would be flatland riders.

|

11/11/2013 4:42 PM

Honestly I could see your feet shooting off a bunch with them. Unless it was like REALLY hard to spin. Not too good for trails at least.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/11/2013 4:54 PM

I like your other pedal design more personally, Having the grip of the pedal spin is kinda odd and itd have to be a small enough area that it wouldn't make your foot "wiggle" too much but not too small that it has no purpose. Lots of prototypes.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

11/11/2013 5:09 PM

Good points.

What about some sort of strong spring loaded mechanism that puts them back into their 'zero' point? I realize that if they spin too easily they'd be janky as fuck. ......TONS of protos hahaha.

|

11/11/2013 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2013 5:16 PM

What's that gonna rotate on? Is it going to just cut down into the axle that's already there, preventing the whole pedal from spinning?
Regardless, I see no problem with the current pedals. If anything, get unsealed pedals and loosen the axle nut and ride them wobbly. Its the same concept, the pedal will move with your feet. And what happens if I do a no-footed trick and land tippy-toe on the center of the pedal and it spins out? When I 360 I don't want my legs to spin out from under me if I yank my rotation too hard.
Also, I've never had a problem with my shoes. Eventually they get tore up, of course. Just buy thick soled shoes and avoid gum soles. Also, what's the point of all this "assistance" in staying gripped to your pedals if sticking to thenm means looping out. Pretty much, if your foot were to slide off, it would spin around, fling it off, and potential hurt your ankle by twisting it. If you're worried about slipping pedals just get clipless pedals.

Edit: might be an okay idea for a cruiserbike

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/11/2013 5:14 PM

BMXism wrote:

Good points.

What about some sort of strong spring loaded mechanism that puts them back into their 'zero' point? I realize that if they spin too easily they'd be janky as fuck. ......TONS of protos hahaha.

I feel it may be to complicated for a pedal. too much to break you know? but who knows, i may be off on that, im really happy with how simple the jcpc's are.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

11/11/2013 5:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2013 8:38 PM

@hardbmx
it rotates on the outer diameter of the 'disk' where it meets the pedal body. Maybe pressed in some how..
The main purpose wouldn't be to save shoes anyway that's just a perk of it. The main purpose is dynamic grip.

It's just a funky idea so far, i appreciate all the input.

|

11/11/2013 5:38 PM

Itd be truly interesting to ride like that. I could see some weird stuff done with it, but the idea itself would really mess up people. Tons of twisted ankles, the idea is plausible, but needs a lot of elaboration before id session with those on. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/11/2013 5:38 PM

Think it seems pointless. Would face too many problems just to solve one or two minor problems. Also, it would be a $150 set of pedals and as stated above, would have more parts to break. Its overly complicated. If you want superior grip, bore holes in your pedals, tap the holes out, and add more pins. Or get longer pins.
Sorry for bashing on your idea, I think its interesting and could be a great idea for a cruiser bike. And I sometimes do similar things, I over think an idea and construct something very over-done and pointless, but I carry on with it just to have something to wrap my mind around for a while and mess around with. Keep on thinking man.
Also, ill have some new part plans up on here at the end of this week that I've been working on, feel free to come bash on mine too haha.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/11/2013 5:49 PM

I like your creativity but it seems a bit too complicated to me. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a necessity to have my pedals spin like that. It seems like it would just cause more problems than help me.
I'm not trying to be a douche, that's just a bit of constructive criticism.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

11/11/2013 5:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2013 5:54 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Think it seems pointless. Would face too many problems just to solve one or two minor problems. Also, it would be a $150 set of pedals and as stated above, would have more parts to break. Its overly complicated. If you want superior grip, bore holes in your pedals, tap the holes out, and add more pins. Or get longer pins.
Sorry for bashing on your idea, I think its interesting and could be a great idea for a cruiser bike. And I sometimes do similar things, I over think an idea and construct something very over-done and pointless, but I carry on with it just to have something to wrap my mind around for a while and mess around with. Keep on thinking man.
Also, ill have some new part plans up on here at the end of this week that I've been working on, feel free to come bash on mine too haha.

Constructive criticism isn't bashing too me bro. You raise very good points that I over looked, I'll take that over nothing any day.

If the body still had pins on the outside like a regular pedal along with the inclusion of a rotating disk with more pins, I don't see it being any less grippy or more slippery than any another pedal; this one would just be able to 'mimic' your foot more as you fly around doing tricks.

Yeah dude, never stop creating. I've got another pedal idea meant for grinding n shit.. thinking shit up never hurt anyone. I love the fact that we can all share and think as a group than alone.

|

11/11/2013 5:58 PM

BMXism wrote:

Constructive criticism isn't bashing too me bro. You raise very good points that I over looked, I'll take that over nothing any day.

If the body still had pins on the outside like a regular pedal along with the inclusion of a rotating disk with more pins, I don't see it being any less grippy or more slippery than any another pedal; this one would just be able to 'mimic' your foot more as you fly around doing tricks.

Yeah dude, never stop creating. I've got another pedal idea meant for grinding n shit.. thinking shit up never hurt anyone. I love the fact that we can all share and think as a group than alone.

Right, I see what you mean. This could be useful for some but I don't know how I would like it. I like being as connected to my bike as possible and I think if my feet moved, I would be a bit sketched out. These would be useful for table tops though! I would no longer have to put my toe under my pedal, near my crank.

If these are ever sold, I think I would try them out! I would keep an open mind for sure!

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

11/11/2013 5:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2013 6:01 PM

The empty space inside most every pedal kinda pisses me off to tell you guys the truth lol. Every time I see it my mind tries to cook up crazy shit to fill that space. With all the goodness we have today, it's pretty hard to make something innovative that actually works and serves more purpose than being lighter or coming in a limited color.

And I think 'Mimic' is a pretty good name for these. ..I like it anyway lol.

|

11/11/2013 11:41 PM

I think the would cause it to be unstable with amplitude.......might be a cool idea if all you ride is street and don't get off the ground very much.......but seems complicated and expensive

|

11/12/2013 12:12 AM

I can see more fucked ankles for this design

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

11/12/2013 9:25 AM

It would need to have limited movement, but I see a lot of damaged ankles from this...

You're thinking outside the box, and I like that. I wouldn't get them.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/12/2013 9:59 AM

Gump wrote:

I can see more fucked ankles for this design

This is what I was thinking while reading this whole thread

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

11/13/2013 5:30 PM

what if you used a wedge system to hold the plates from your first design in, one allen screw on each side of the spindle pushing up and down on four separate plastic plates? kinda like an elementary stem.

|

11/13/2013 8:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2013 8:19 PM

I can foresee many a accident with this.

Edit: twisted ankles fuck....

|

11/13/2013 8:21 PM

BMXism wrote:

The empty space inside most every pedal kinda pisses me off to tell you guys the truth lol. Every time I see it my mind tries to cook up crazy shit to fill that space. With all the goodness we have today, it's pretty hard to make something innovative that actually works and serves more purpose than being lighter or coming in a limited color.

You could just do a fully body mold with a shit ton of pins = space filled up.

|

11/13/2013 8:38 PM

Cellmember wrote:

I don't really plan to actually go about building anything myself.. a full body pc pedal with a shit ton of pins is something any company today can make. I'd love a pair. Another thing they could easily produce is smoother bodies. I don't get why most pedals are boxy in shape. Which looks comfier for your feet? ...Plus extra space for more pins near the edges.
Photo

|

11/13/2013 8:51 PM

BMXism wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

BMXism wrote:

I don't really plan to actually go about building anything myself.. a full body pc pedal with a shit ton of pins is something any company today can make. I'd love a pair. Another thing they could easily produce is smoother bodies. I don't get why most pedals are boxy in shape. Which looks comfier for your feet? ...Plus extra space for more pins near the edges.
Photo

You should pitch some ideas you have to welgo or another manufacturer, you never know they could adopt your idea.

|

11/13/2013 8:53 PM

I want giant ass oval pedals that my whole foot touches. Order them in sizes, vans patter, just the tread doesn't go concave, lock your vans into your pedals sorta but not like clip pedals.

|