My S&M Lil Redneck Stem Made Weird Noises.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/21/2014 5:47 PM

Well lately I have been hearing this noise, coming from idk where on my bike. I thought it was from my chain, so i cleaned it and greased it, but the noise persisted. I thought it was my headset so i got a new one and tried to fix it and stuff. I thought maybe it was my cranks, so i took them apart and cleaned the area and the BB and my coaster. But still, the weird noise was happening.

The noise was like a popping, creaking sound. So i tightened my Lil Redneck stem and still, the noise kept happening. So, as an act of confusion, i switched it out for my Tom Dugan stem and then the noise stopped. It was really strange. It wasn't anything normal. The stem wasn't loose or over tightened either.

Anyone had this really strange problem? It was definitely the stem too.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

10/21/2014 6:02 PM

Check for cracks, also check and see if your steerer tube isn't too long for the stem. If the stem's just as tall as the tip of the steerer tube, it could be causing noises. You want the tip of the steerer tube to be just a little under the stem, but not too much obviously. Check that out.

Also, was it happened a lot before this or did it just now start?

|

10/21/2014 6:13 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Check for cracks, also check and see if your steerer tube isn't too long for the stem. If the stem's just as tall as the tip ...more

It was just right in there. Had about 2mm of room before the cap. And there were no visible cracks. It was so strange.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

10/21/2014 7:21 PM

ovalized headtube or not enough grease on headset? either that or loose front spokes, sometimes they make a pinging noise that also sounds like creaking

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

10/21/2014 7:38 PM

I don't know what else it would be then, grease the bolts slightly maybe?

If it's only happening with that stem, that tells me it's not anything else on the bike. Ovalized head tube would have been my guess, but if it doesn't make noise with your other stem, then it's not that.

A friend of mine has a similar problem. He had the old Primo Hi-Def stem and that would creak on him a lot until he got a new one a few days ago. Weird.

|

10/21/2014 7:46 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If it's only happening with that stem, that tells ...more

maybe the compression bolt was a little tight

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

10/21/2014 8:45 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If it's only happening with that stem, that tells ...more

bmxsteve99 wrote:

maybe the compression bolt was a little tight

It wasnt either of those things. Definitely not the Headtube. It is only with this stem. It wasnt the compression cap either. The bolts on the stem are properly greases with finish line grease. It really is confusing to me.

|

10/21/2014 9:40 PM

I think the way the stem is, it flexes. I am playing with it since it is off my bike and it does seem like that it may be flexing.

|

10/22/2014 3:32 AM

We live in West Virginia. By now you should know that little rednecks make a lot of weird noises.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

10/22/2014 6:11 AM

Stocksy wrote:

We live in West Virginia. By now you should know that little rednecks make a lot of weird noises.

Especially when they get their s&m on

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

10/22/2014 7:06 AM

Stocksy wrote:

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Especially when they get their s&m on

Yeah, im thinking i may be able to fix it, i just don't know how. For now the Dugan Stem is fine.

|