My Shadow Interlock V2 chain broke

Related:
Create New Tag

5/13/2017 11:04 AM

My Interlock V2 shain which my Subrosa Malum was shipped with broke today after very limeted use. One pin has come loose. But to me ut looks really strange, this pin is 1-2 mm longer than all other pins in the chain. Is this the pin used for mounting? Does the chain use standard chain pin which can be bought at any bike shop or do I need a special one? Thanks

|

5/13/2017 1:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2017 1:02 PM

This is why most people that actually ride don't like half links. They don't last very long in the real world. Kind of funny because they claim them to be way stronger than anything else, but I don't think they are even as strong as a Walmart chain for $5

|

5/13/2017 1:25 PM

Yeah that sounds like a master pin. How broken is it? You might be able to get that pin back in unless it's all the way out (although we used to hammer a pin back into the plate if we didn't have spare links. But it makes it a bit sketchy). I haven't looked myself, but you may be able to pick up a spare master pin, give it a Google and see what comes up

|

5/13/2017 2:08 PM

Wierd, I've never really had problems with shadow chains.
Just got a Supreme. Bomb proof.

|

5/13/2017 2:26 PM

Frank_W wrote:

My Interlock V2 shain which my Subrosa Malum was shipped with broke today after very limeted use. One pin has come loose. But ...more

It's the master pin. Probably installed wrong. You can't use regular pins with that chain as all of the pins in that chain are longer then standard.

I would suggest you contact Subrosa. It's almost certainly a manufacturing defect.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/13/2017 2:47 PM

I jhave heard a lot of people breaking these. I have one myself. I got it on a used bike I just bought. I'm waiting for it to break, because the amount of stretch in this chain is unbelievable. I haven't had problems yet, but I should probably get a new one soon. I haven't noticed that one pin is longer than the rest. it did break my chain tool today when I was trying to remove a link, so I gotta get a new one before I can ride.

|

5/13/2017 3:40 PM

I don't know why people have so much trouble with the shadow chains. I've broken a couple but that's because of wear and abuse. Still one of the best chains in my mind.

The shadow supreme chain is damn near bullet proof. Thicker plates. Machined plates for no flex.

Also, I bought a shadow chain breaker like 10 years ago and it's the only breaker I use. Especially if you have a shadow chain. It a must in your tool box.

Also, if you don't do the proper maintenance on your bike you tend to have lots of problems. I.e. Not properly tightening your chain. If it too loose, the Chainwheel teeth will wear the chain faster or even break plates when they get hung up on the teeth,

|

5/13/2017 3:43 PM

I have never had an issue with any half link. Running a Cult right now. You don't need the strength really, but sure helps me keep my rear end short.

|

5/13/2017 4:57 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

I don't know why people have so much trouble with the shadow chains. I've broken a couple but that's because of wear and ...more

^this!

I've had one for 4 months now and it's still in perfect condition, despite my best efforts tongue. I've landed on it way more often than I'd like from BB grinds, pegless feebles and such, even occasionally grinding on it a little. The only problem I've had with it so far is it doesn't work very well with the Odyssey Clutch driver but a few minutes of modifying the shape of the teeth fixed that and I haven't had any problem since.

As long as it's installed right(i.e. using the right tools and being careful), run at a decent tension and cleaned/lubed occasionally, this and almost any other chain will last you a very long time.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/13/2017 6:52 PM

Had my interlock v1 for almost year (well used mind you) and NEVER had any issues with it at all.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

5/13/2017 8:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2017 8:39 PM

My last half link broke after a couple of months so I switched back to full links and my first one lasted 2 years before it broke and costed less than half the price. The problem is the design. Each link has two bends in it which creates to weak spots on every link. It also cases it to stretch a lot more which will wear down the sprocket teeth even faster. Half links just create a lot of problems while only solving one.

|

5/13/2017 10:05 PM

Grrat, thanks for replies. I also have a Odyssey Clutch since a few weeks and also noted that they do not seem to match very well. The pin is still there so I pushed it back but I guess it will not last long. I'll order a new pin and give it one more try. But since I have to order everything I need and cannot have replacements when I need them I might just as well order a new chain as well so I can replace when my Shadow breaks, the Odyssey Keaychain looks nice, anyone using that and can recommend it?

|

5/14/2017 4:15 AM

sean_gillis wrote:

My last half link broke after a couple of months so I switched back to full links and my first one lasted 2 years before it ...more

I agree. I mean, they do look cool I'll give them that. The stretch in my chain is insane. I should be able to slam my wheel at 13.5, but there is at least .2 of extra space in my dropouts. That's almost a full link longer. that can't be good for cogs. Why not just run a nice full link with one or two half links. Problem solved with everything, no breaking or stretch, and just as adjustable as a full halflink.

|

5/14/2017 9:14 AM

After some thinking I went for the Odyssey Bluebird

|

5/14/2017 10:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/14/2017 10:33 AM

Frank_W wrote:

After some thinking I went for the Odyssey Bluebird

Good choice. I've hard nothing but good things about them. That will probably be my next chain. The shadow supreme looks indestructible, and I think it has a lifetime warranty. For the price it should, but I'm thinking about one of those as well. Seems like it won't stretch much.

|