My Sprocket Bolt Wont Stay Tight,tights spots in sprocket,etc

Related:
Create New Tag

8/16/2014 9:00 PM

This has been bothering me for a while. Basically since I got back into bmx..

Why does it keep coming loose? Its squeaking within 15 minutes. dangerously loose within a couple days.

Is my sprocket bent? It sure looks like it,but it always has. Which is my next question.

I have 2 sprockets, and both seem like they bent on day one from basically nothing. And I have gone thru more chains in the last year than I did in a decade of 44/16 disasters. I dont even do distasters anymore.

I feel like going back to 44/16.. Should I start saving for a spline drive setup? This setup is really making me hate my bike. Especially since I accidentally bought a 4 pawl skip-o-matic driver.

Why cant I keep a drivetrain together? Im running the same kmc Z410 chain and ride half as hard as 15 years ago, and getting a few months instead of several years out of a chain.

|

In midschool bike rides you.

8/16/2014 9:08 PM

Not sure about the bolt, is anything stripped?

The sprockets seemingly being bent could be from improper installation. Are you tightening your sprocket bolt up, then your crank bolts? If so, that's why. You wanna tighten your crank bolts up, then the sprocket bolt.

Another thing it could be is if you have the wrong adapter in there, or since it's happening to more than one sprocket, something could be off with your crank arm.

As for breaking chains, try a stronger chain like a 510hx. And check to see if your chain is aligned properly. If it's out of line, it can break easier.

And what hub did you buy? New hubs shouldn't skip that much

|

8/16/2014 9:22 PM

Thanks, Its an old hub, I bought a replacement Odyssey driver thinking it was 3 pawl, which never skipped, was just worn on the teeth.

I may have screwed something up, the 2nd sprocket I got (Budsaw) had a totally different offset so theres a bunch of spacers and whatnot . I think I'm going to check out the stock sprocket and redo it.

I'm running Stolen SIC arms. Nothings stripped but I have to say I didnt any of these probs except broken chain before running these arms. Just keeps backing the bolt out...

|

8/16/2014 9:27 PM

It could be time for a new hub, the ratchet ring inside is probably getting worn down. If it's an Odyssey Hazard hub, I hear some people have trouble with those skipping so that could be it too.

Can you post a photo of the setup? If you put spacers in wrong that could be contributing to your problems.

|

8/18/2014 5:50 PM

Think I found the culprit. check the pic

http://www.vitalbmx.com/photos/member/Pics,45730/CrapArm,127338/DrewH85,106056

SCREW STOLEN!!! I've done nothing but break an bend their parts. Bars forks wheels drop outs and now cranks. The heat treating is non existent or something. Cant wait til my frame explodes.

I think my sprocket is salvageable, guess I'm saving for real cranks now. Really sucks cuz I need a new hub also (yeah its an odyssey)

good time to switch to LHD I suppose? That will keep me from breakin chains.

|

8/18/2014 6:17 PM

lhd/rhd has nothing to do with breaking chains...

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

8/18/2014 6:36 PM

it does if you grind midwest...

ANd high quality stolen parts are the shit.. I mean look at the teams. They have fallen out of favor recently but they are one of the top cranks and have been for years!

|

8/18/2014 6:43 PM

You buy cheap 8 spline cranks and when they break you claim the company and all their stuff is garbage? Seems legit. I suppose if you buy a toyota prius and it breaks then you can claim toyota and the supra,ae86 and 1jz/2jz are also garbage, right?

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/19/2014 1:24 PM

tomdon wrote:

You buy cheap 8 spline cranks and when they break you claim the company and all their stuff is garbage? Seems legit. I suppose ...more

I like your explanation

|

8/19/2014 8:53 PM

tomdon wrote:

You buy cheap 8 spline cranks and when they break you claim the company and all their stuff is garbage? Seems legit. I suppose ...more

Yeah considering I ride a 2 foot ditch about 5 hours a month, I would say a lot has changed regarding quality standards since the 90s. Or maybe i need to renew my subsciption to Bmx Plus; Please, enlighten me of how cool the scene is these days that companies purposely sell parts that break? I never new cranks were consumables like tires and grips. I bent the front axle and forks on the first grind. UNSAFE parts on these STLN crap cycles, if you want a better opinion. You young guys are just used to everything being junk I guess. Why do they make so much worthless aftermarket bmx parts year after year? No where else do you buy aftermarket parts that are garbage, not even for a toyota, without having a refund case in court.

The logic of selling parts that dont work, at any price, is unethical. SCREW STOLEN. you dont buy a flute with no holes in and and say "Hey, it was cheap" unless your a 'tard of course.

Guess the price chart is the quality rating , I forgot this is the United States. Where everything except the most expensive is fake and made to break *rolls eyes and pukes*

I went with Snafu Mayweathers. Hope they dont explode from bunnyhopping.

|

8/19/2014 8:58 PM

tomdon wrote:

snm animal is that you?

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/19/2014 9:01 PM

tomdon wrote:

DrewH85 wrote:

Yeah considering I ride a 2 foot ditch about 5 hours a month, I would say a lot has changed regarding quality standards since ...more

Those sic cranks are like 60 bucks. You didnt see a problem with that when almost every other set was 130+? Next i'll add that I'm 24 so clearly not young. Have you really never heard the saying you get what you pay for?

@steve. No, I'm not him lol

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/19/2014 9:06 PM

DrewH85 wrote:

Yeah considering I ride a 2 foot ditch about 5 hours a month, I would say a lot has changed regarding quality standards since ...more

You're a fucking idiot. I just looked at your bike check, and you have a STOCK Stolen Sinner, and you're complaining about destroying parts on it and that the parts are crap. You bought an under $500 bike, what the fuck did you expect? Did you think you were going to get bombproof parts? They are cheap, so they are affordable for kids who want to get into bmx, but don't want to dish out $1000 for a custom when they might not end up sticking with it.

And now you break a pair of $85 cranks (which judging by the photo, you overtightened them and that's why that piece snapped) and now you're complaining more? Go buy a pair of better cranks, that aren't for beginners or people on a budget.

|

8/20/2014 5:38 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You're a fucking idiot. I just looked at your bike check, and you have a STOCK Stolen Sinner, and you're complaining about ...more

a bike meant for kids NOT a full grown adult.... And we have had this discussion before. With the way technology is alot of the parts out now are STRONGER then what you could get in the 90's.

|