My Take on Fat Tire BMX potential

Related:
Create New Tag

12/2/2013 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2013 2:13 PM

I think it would be awesome to make a Fat Tire BMX (20in x 4 tires) or Snow/Sand BMX for the following reasons: (when I say fat tire I mean at least 4 inches wide like fat mountain bike or fat sand bikes)

1 - Easy riding on snow or sand!! - Can be an all season sport, no more sitting around during winter waiting to go to an indoor park or sheltered spot (if it is close enough to you)

2 - Imagine Taking a fat tire BMX bike to a Ski/Snowboard mountain and biking and carving along side snowboarders would be awesome as well as using the downhill half pipes, grind pipes, grind logs, long ass downhill grinds and other obstacles.

3 - the dirt style tracks / jumps that can be built specifically with snow can turn any winter wonderland backyard / front yard / street / field into a sick BMX track, jumps at the bottom of local sledding hills, the options are endless

4 - can add BMX to Winter sports categories where BMX never was before!! can become another attraction for ski and snowboard mountains and keep them going as BMX and mountain bike mountains during the off seasons as well.

5 - BMX Freestyle models, snow Jumper models, race track models

Please add if your imagination runs wild!!

|

12/2/2013 2:45 PM

Yeahhh.. I dont see it happening honestly

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/2/2013 2:49 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Yeahhh.. I dont see it happening honestly

I can easily imagine red bull or monster adding fat bmx to the snow events and building jumps for snow bmx

|

12/2/2013 2:52 PM

I like the idea of it and it sounds good on paper but you'd have to have all sealed bearings for water and sand then your forks and rear triangle would have to be wider but go for it, that would be a pretty cool businesses idea

|

12/2/2013 2:54 PM

timedrifter wrote:

I can easily imagine red bull or monster adding fat bmx to the snow events and building jumps for snow bmx

Most snow sports involve gliding on top of the snow. I dont think having rotating wheels will work in snow. They make ski kits that bolt into your drop outs and people have snow-bmxed with those.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/2/2013 3:22 PM

This could happen, but I don't think it would be very fun. 3.35 inch wheels would be better.

|

12/2/2013 3:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2013 3:25 PM

And you cant really make sand ramps, nor would there be a purpose. Only reason you see sand rover mtb and cruisers is because thats for cruising through the beach or mtbing in sandy places. Sand ramps would just fall apart when your tire touched them.

Snow biking is a great idea. Me and my m8 were about to buy ski kits and build snow ramps on a steep hill and go snow biking. As for tires, same concept as the sand biking.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/2/2013 3:26 PM

Fictionsdd2 wrote:

I like the idea of it and it sounds good on paper but you'd have to have all sealed bearings for water and sand then your forks and rear triangle would have to be wider but go for it, that would be a pretty cool businesses idea

Easy fix that sort of exists on the fat mountain bike market already, on the sealed bearings and the wider BB and forks, but I still think it would be great if the major BMX makers would just pickup the idea and take a test drive on building some and then putting pros on them to try it out,

check the video of freestyle on a fat mountain bike, climbing and jumping steps, BMX would be so much more versatile, and disc brakes would be a cool option too



there are other videos of fat bike on BMX type dirt track pulling backflips and all.

Harobmx_tim,
if you google "fat bike" you would be amazed, Fat BMX would be so much more fun.
|

12/2/2013 3:32 PM

Garnished wrote:

This could happen, but I don't think it would be very fun. 3.35 inch wheels would be better.

Sure it would be fun, especially if you live somewhere with 4 seasons and lots of snow, like I have to wait for snow to melt to ride my backyard

|

12/2/2013 3:42 PM

We're already on this path anyway. Companies are already coming out with 2.4 tires and custom forks and frames to fit them.

And this is BMX, not "fat biking". Basically what youre saying is we should make bmx bikes into "fat bikes". Im sure if anybody was fond of this idea they would just buy the so called "fat bike" instead of moding their bike to do the same thing.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/2/2013 3:49 PM

For the snow idea, four inch wide tires with metal studs.

|

12/2/2013 3:56 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

We're already on this path anyway. Companies are already coming out with 2.4 tires and custom forks and frames to fit them.

And this is BMX, not "fat biking". Basically what youre saying is we should make bmx bikes into "fat bikes". Im sure if anybody was fond of this idea they would just buy the so called "fat bike" instead of moding their bike to do the same thing.

I am glad we are on the path, I only used fat bikes as an example, I am talking FAT BMX, with traditional BMX tricks and stunts like freestyle tricks for example grinding and sliding except with a setting of snow, a mountain of snow, down a mountain slope of snow with sick jumps, rails and berms.

traditional BMX race track, except made of snow

traditional BMX dirt jump style track built of snow, on the side of a snow slope, LOL

I feel most comfortable on a BMX style bike, to me there would be a big difference between a FAT BMX and a FAT Mountain bike especially when it comes to tricks,

I can see one of them red bull extreme dirt jump contests converted to a snow setting and even using existing jumps like think of those freestyle ski jumps where they do back flips then imagine it on a bmx with some whips or flares going down a slope of snow, LOL

|

12/2/2013 3:56 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

For the snow idea, four inch wide tires with metal studs.

hell yes

|

12/2/2013 4:12 PM

timedrifter wrote:

I am glad we are on the path, I only used fat bikes as an example, I am talking FAT BMX, with traditional BMX tricks and stunts like freestyle tricks for example grinding and sliding except with a setting of snow, a mountain of snow, down a mountain slope of snow with sick jumps, rails and berms.

traditional BMX race track, except made of snow

traditional BMX dirt jump style track built of snow, on the side of a snow slope, LOL

I feel most comfortable on a BMX style bike, to me there would be a big difference between a FAT BMX and a FAT Mountain bike especially when it comes to tricks,

I can see one of them red bull extreme dirt jump contests converted to a snow setting and even using existing jumps like think of those freestyle ski jumps where they do back flips then imagine it on a bmx with some whips or flares going down a slope of snow, LOL

But how are you going to use the wheels? Bigger Tires wont change anything. They aid in traction but not that much. Honestly, you could go down a slope with them, and then go down the slope again with your brakes locked and not notice a difference. As I stated before, snow sports use the concept of gliding ON TOP of the snow. There would be no way to keep the tires on top of the snow, meaning the tire would sink into the snow, and be on the slippery, wet, dead ground beneath the snow which defeats the purpose. And even if you wanted to do that, buried to your thighs in snow, understand, that ground isnt flat, theres holes, and cracks, jagged rocks, etc. Your entire logic behind this makes no sense.

Even when it comes to sand bikes with giant 4-5 tires, you only see them go 5-8mph. They work, but not at high speed. Which would defeat the purpose of it.

Snow biking can and has been done, all you need is a ski kit and probably have to mod it for your bike and purposes.

This big tire idea wouldn't accomplish much, and youre misunderstanding how it works.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/2/2013 4:27 PM

Drifter snowbikes will take over for winter time.....I don't see this idea working out ........riding cold sucks anyways I wouldn't ride in the snow.......getting nailed by a good blizzard right now

|

12/2/2013 4:30 PM

I still disagree Tim,
please post pictures of a fat BMX and I do know its been done, I been looking and only found like 1 but it was a stingray chopper type , and I am not talking about mountain biking up to my thighs in snow, I am talking about a ski or snowboarding mountain with a thin layer of snow with jumps, berms, rails and a giant downhill halfpipe that a snowboard or ski would ride.

imagine this video was nice packed snow instead of dirt:

|

12/3/2013 5:51 AM

but the problem is with such fat tires. gaining speed is a chore.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

12/3/2013 6:13 AM

Dude, give up, you aren't going to convince us that a fat BMX is the way to go. how bout instead of trying to bike at a ski area, bear with me this is going to be a novel idea, you actually go to a ski resort and... SKI. Jesus if it's freestyle you want, there's all kinds of freeskiing you can do, just get a good set of twin tips and go nuts. Rails, boxes, jumps, you can do all of those on skis. Not to mention the feeling of flying down a mountain in 16" of fresh powder...

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

12/3/2013 8:51 AM

feeble_to_face wrote:

but the problem is with such fat tires. gaining speed is a chore.

I dont think that would be a problem going down hill

|

12/3/2013 8:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2013 9:03 AM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Dude, give up, you aren't going to convince us that a fat BMX is the way to go. how bout instead of trying to bike at a ski area, bear with me this is going to be a novel idea, you actually go to a ski resort and... SKI. Jesus if it's freestyle you want, there's all kinds of freeskiing you can do, just get a good set of twin tips and go nuts. Rails, boxes, jumps, you can do all of those on skis. Not to mention the feeling of flying down a mountain in 16" of fresh powder...

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, I stated my opinion and if you disagree oh well, for me the bottom line is it would make it a year round all season sport and it would be awesome, people said the same thing about fat mountain bikes and they are sold out everywhere. go figure

in my OP I am asking for people to add their imagination and if you cant imaginate you read the OP wrong.

|

12/3/2013 9:07 AM

gay

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

12/3/2013 9:08 AM

back flips on fat bike on dirt track

|

12/3/2013 9:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2013 9:23 AM



Won't go off in BMX. This was the first one ever recorded, by my buddy Glenn.
|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/3/2013 9:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2013 9:12 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

We're already on this path anyway. Companies are already coming out with 2.4 tires and custom forks and frames to fit them.

And this is BMX, not "fat biking". Basically what youre saying is we should make bmx bikes into "fat bikes". Im sure if anybody was fond of this idea they would just buy the so called "fat bike" instead of moding their bike to do the same thing.

timedrifter wrote:

I am glad we are on the path, I only used fat bikes as an example, I am talking FAT BMX, with traditional BMX tricks and stunts like freestyle tricks for example grinding and sliding except with a setting of snow, a mountain of snow, down a mountain slope of snow with sick jumps, rails and berms.

traditional BMX race track, except made of snow

traditional BMX dirt jump style track built of snow, on the side of a snow slope, LOL

I feel most comfortable on a BMX style bike, to me there would be a big difference between a FAT BMX and a FAT Mountain bike especially when it comes to tricks,

I can see one of them red bull extreme dirt jump contests converted to a snow setting and even using existing jumps like think of those freestyle ski jumps where they do back flips then imagine it on a bmx with some whips or flares going down a slope of snow, LOL

They already do this down mountains. It is just downhill MTB on snow, and Chad Kagy has won snow based MTB Jumping contests before.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/3/2013 9:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2013 9:30 AM

Listen BMX is evolving, I remember when seat posts existed and people would do wheelies sitting down and spin their bars or surf using the seat and the bars, now the seat post practically doesnt exist which makes a BMX a scooter with cranks and big tires, I dont see fat mountain bikes grinding and bikes are bikes and I am not falling into the trap of pitting BMX against MTB, I like all forms of bicycle and I welcome shit like fat bikes

I want to have a collection of bikes for all styles of riding

|

12/3/2013 2:18 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Dude, give up, you aren't going to convince us that a fat BMX is the way to go. how bout instead of trying to bike at a ski area, bear with me this is going to be a novel idea, you actually go to a ski resort and... SKI. Jesus if it's freestyle you want, there's all kinds of freeskiing you can do, just get a good set of twin tips and go nuts. Rails, boxes, jumps, you can do all of those on skis. Not to mention the feeling of flying down a mountain in 16" of fresh powder...

timedrifter wrote:

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, I stated my opinion and if you disagree oh well, for me the bottom line is it would make it a year round all season sport and it would be awesome, people said the same thing about fat mountain bikes and they are sold out everywhere. go figure

in my OP I am asking for people to add their imagination and if you cant imaginate you read the OP wrong.

Sold out everywhere due to minimal stock being created. There is a demand, but that is due to stocking levels being lower than regular mountain bikes.

It would be neat, but they would weight 30 lbs easily.

They would likely be pretty spendy too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/3/2013 2:25 PM

timedrifter wrote:

Listen BMX is evolving, I remember when seat posts existed and people would do wheelies sitting down and spin their bars or surf using the seat and the bars, now the seat post practically doesnt exist which makes a BMX a scooter with cranks and big tires, I dont see fat mountain bikes grinding and bikes are bikes and I am not falling into the trap of pitting BMX against MTB, I like all forms of bicycle and I welcome shit like fat bikes

I want to have a collection of bikes for all styles of riding

I get that, and it is a neat idea, but honestly this would not do well, it is a smaller niche than current fatbikes are.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/3/2013 3:17 PM

timedrifter wrote:

Listen BMX is evolving, I remember when seat posts existed and people would do wheelies sitting down and spin their bars or surf using the seat and the bars, now the seat post practically doesnt exist which makes a BMX a scooter with cranks and big tires, I dont see fat mountain bikes grinding and bikes are bikes and I am not falling into the trap of pitting BMX against MTB, I like all forms of bicycle and I welcome shit like fat bikes

I want to have a collection of bikes for all styles of riding

dave lawrence wrote:

I get that, and it is a neat idea, but honestly this would not do well, it is a smaller niche than current fatbikes are.

Yeah, I get it, I am just going to have a FAT BMX custom frame built sooner or later, probably with the S/M DIY frame parts they offer, but for now I will go back to riding a good old BMX and have some fun.

I still think riding a FAT BMX during winter on a city sidewalk would be fun as shit alone without the mountain, but whatever I will post pictures someday when I have mine built, hopefully the day before never.

|

12/3/2013 4:22 PM

I thought this was going to be about beer!

|

12/3/2013 4:36 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

I thought this was going to be about beer!

lol

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5