My Take on the Judging Controversy at Nitro World Games

Related:
Create New Tag

6/26/2017 11:09 AM

For those of you who followed Nitro World Games this past weekend, you probably caught on to the judging controversy during BMX Best Tricks. Polish rider Dawid Godziek was initially announced as the winner, but after further review (and about 30-45 minutes), the decision was changed and Ryan Williams - Nitro's golden boy - was announced as the new winner. Ride BMX documented the events very well in this video -

?rel=0

In my opinion, the fairness of this situationall boils down to the official rules. FISE, for example, says the scoring isn't official until one hour after the event, giving the judges time to discuss and riders time to dispute scores if they feel necessary. I do not know what the official rules for Nitro World Games state. If it's similar to FISE, as unfortunate as this is, it is fair. If it says nothing or that the initial announcement is final, then it isn't fair.

I have reached out to Nitro for the official rules and will update this when I have them.

For another perspective, check out Polish site Hash BMX. This is obviously and understandably a bit slanted in Dawid's favor - http://hashbmx.pl/all-what-we-know-about-nitro-world-games-godziekwilliams-controversy-is-that-we-will-not-hear-an-apology/

What's your take on this situation?
|

6/26/2017 11:37 AM

I commented the same on Facebook , this is why I don't take it seriously , even if it wasn't resi.

I respect what they do and I appreciate the video but it just seems gimmicky .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/26/2017 12:03 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I commented the same on Facebook , this is why I don't take it seriously , even if it wasn't resi.

I respect what they do and I appreciate the video but it just seems gimmicky .

Even though this is the first time they've had something like this happen? Between two years of qualifiers and last year's event, there haven't been any similar issues...

|

6/26/2017 12:08 PM

I'll be honest, the "call out your trick before you do it" aspect is a little dated...that's what figure skaters do, and what used to be required in the 80's in BMX and skateboarding in ALL aspects.

I get it, but at the same time if a rider detects a reason NOT to do something in favor of something else-say for his own safety, they get HARSHLY judged. What if hucking a move would put him subject to more wind that caused a miss of the landing? But if he plays it a little safer and lands on the landing he is done? Seems wrong to me. That's basically what happened here, he said he was gonna do a no handed 1080 frontflip, but only did a 720, and they didn't catch it right away. If he didn't have to call it out, he would've been judged on what he did, not what he "said he was gonna do".

I think the spontaneity for all is better. Plus if you name a trick something weird, how are the judges even gonna know what that is unless you spell it out?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/26/2017 12:23 PM

colt fake is x games champ 2017

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

6/26/2017 12:28 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I'll be honest, the "call out your trick before you do it" aspect is a little dated...that's what figure skaters do, and what used to be required in the 80's in BMX and skateboarding in ALL aspects.

I get it, but at the same time if a rider detects a reason NOT to do something in favor of something else-say for his own safety, they get HARSHLY judged. What if hucking a move would put him subject to more wind that caused a miss of the landing? But if he plays it a little safer and lands on the landing he is done? Seems wrong to me. That's basically what happened here, he said he was gonna do a no handed 1080 frontflip, but only did a 720, and they didn't catch it right away. If he didn't have to call it out, he would've been judged on what he did, not what he "said he was gonna do".

I think the spontaneity for all is better. Plus if you name a trick something weird, how are the judges even gonna know what that is unless you spell it out?

I agree. Doomg stuff spontaneously is better, what if you plan on doing a certain trick but it just doesn't feel right, so you throw something else instead. You're just gonna get knocked down, instead of getting judged on what you just happen to do

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

6/26/2017 1:51 PM

Hard for me to believe that Godziek actually "believed" he did a 1080 fronty, same as Ryan Williams and the other guys throwing it. Seems like he was just going along with the wrong scoring, hoping they wouldn't figure it out. Williams was clearly pissed right before he rolled in on his last hit. I would've been too.

|

6/26/2017 2:10 PM

Definitely agree with Dave on this.

The thing is, if the judges had indeed caught that Dawid did one less rotation beforehand, none of this would be happening. For sure it sucks, but if it's aligned with the rules, then it's fair as you say.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/26/2017 2:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/26/2017 2:17 PM

Pretty sure he does a 1080 fronty while everyone else is actually doing more. Watch the slow mo and count the lateral spins.

|

Maintenance guy at The Railyard Bike Park in Rogers, Arkansas

facebook.com/TheRailyardAR/
Insta @the_railyard

facebook.com/tedhuie
Insta @ted_danger

6/26/2017 2:22 PM

tedhuie wrote:

Pretty sure he does a 1080 fronty while everyone else is actually doing more. Watch the slow mo and count the lateral spins.

The tricks are hard to pin down, but according to the riders' actual terminology, Dawid is doing a tuck 720 frontflip, and the other guys are doing a 1080 frontflip. Should be called cork 1080/1440 IMO.

|

6/26/2017 6:17 PM

Nitro world games where pretty good but I gotta say I enjoyed watching crankworx slopestyle Austria more

|

6/27/2017 7:32 AM

how give a fuck anyway this '' contest '' has nothing to do with bmx a bunch a clowns doing ugly tricks on resi in front of a regular american slobs crowds ... bring back the FBM ghetto jam and metro for god sake

Van homan will save us .

|

6/27/2017 8:01 AM

julien wrote:

how give a fuck anyway this '' contest '' has nothing to do with bmx a bunch a clowns doing ugly tricks on resi in front of a regular american slobs crowds ... bring back the FBM ghetto jam and metro for god sake

Van homan will save us .

Van Homan was a judge for this "contest." Metro Jam still happens every year in Toronto. Might have a different name, but it's still going. BMX is based around progression, like all action sports. You'd prefer every rider do the same tricks day in day out till the end of time? Where's the cutoff for what's allowed in BMX in your mind? Props volume 50? Road Fools 4? Maybe just any trick done before y2k?

|

6/27/2017 8:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2017 8:39 AM

The nitro circus Ramps look so fun , bigger jumps are better

|

6/27/2017 8:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2017 8:22 PM

In my opinion I agree with tj lavin hardest trick done and the only person who had that trick was zack warden with the backflip bikeflip to tailwhip ..... that scooter kid won with the same tricks he did last year ..... zack warden still the only guy doing flip bikeflip to whips .... in my opinion way cooler and gnarlier then a frontflip 1080 ....Ryan Williams last year stole his rotation from former bmx rider Nicholi rogatkin and still no one gives credit where it's due because that riders to busy chasing a crankworx world tour instead of a nitro title

|